Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
... and if you really want to be "interactive" set-up a small forum on the site too. Imagine that D, you get to moderate !
Oh well... Too late I guess !

Moderator? I think I'll have to resort to machine guns if I become one !
Old 01-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
I know someone mentioned reversing the rear bodypost and then just using the 705 Lola bumper but I was wondering if you have done it differently.
I think he's the one who suggested it !
Old 01-05-2004, 11:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by InitialD
I think he's the one who suggested it !
You never miss a thing..

Sow+Steady
Yeah, just reverse it and no sweat.
Actually I will use the Lola bumper for TC shell.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:49 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by GoldFinger
You never miss a thing..
Hey, will you be heading to Thailand?

Actually I will use the Lola bumper for TC shell.
That's a good idea actually. I'll wait for my foam bumper to fall apart !
Old 01-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey, will you be heading to Thailand?
The timing is not for me.
After a long holiday I have to work out my bussines harder. Its hard to take few days off in the mean time.

I hope we can meet in Asean Cup (Kuching.?) or if Im not wrong there will be a GQ Cup held in Malaysia or Singapore.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:12 AM
Tech Prophet

The timing is not for me.
After a long holiday I have to work out my bussines harder. Its hard to take few days off in the mean time.
Would be good to meet you in person !

I hope we can meet in Asean Cup (Kuching.?) or if Im not wrong there will be a GQ Cup held in Malaysia or Singapore.
I'm uncertain about the Asean Cup. No idea on the GQ cup or when it will be held.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by JoshVilleneuve
yes D, we started to go stiffer (red springs in rear) also and this is helping. I'm just surprised no one has mentioned this. That and the clutch seems to be the biggest issues so far and all the guys at our local track in S. Florida are having the same problem. I hear that using the long upper arm position for the rear roll center addresses the problem completely, but I have not had the chance to try this yet!
Thanks for your responses!
Late
Josh
From most of the test reports I get the impression the car is almost too easy to drive
On considering the stock setup we tried many different things, but when push came to shove we decided it is better to get the car too easy than on the edge.

To give some ideas:
- Stand up the shocks. It combines the effect of stiffer spring and harder damping (the shock moves more to a given arm movement).
- You may want to try 35wt oil in the dampers. This is even more so when you use harder springs.
- As mentioned before, the DRS "up" position (relative to the lower arm) will help on throttle steering.
- As Josh said: lower roll center front and/or higher rear
- On grade softer front tires. Although tire wear is already pretty even it makes it even better.
- You may want to try a 1mm split in diameters of front and rear. This gives a perfect 1:1 ratio. In stock form with even tires you'll have a little more front drive. That makes the car (when using a one way) go into the corner sharper (like having a front brake) and understeer a bit more under power.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:12 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Julius
To give some ideas:
- Stand up the shocks. It combines the effect of stiffer spring and harder damping (the shock moves more to a given arm movement).
Which shocks are you referring to? Front or rear? I tried standing the front shocks 1 hole up with the red springs and 30 wwt oil. Did not like it as it did not make the car aggressive into the corners. Are you suggesting to try standing the shocks with yellow springs?

Originally posted by Julius
- As Josh said: lower roll center front and/or higher rear
Cool. I'll give that a try.

In any case, thanks for the ideas Julius.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:29 AM
Tech Master

Which shocks are you referring to? Front or rear? I tried standing the front shocks 1 hole up with the red springs and 30 wwt oil. Did not like it as it did not make the car aggressive into the corners. Are you suggesting to try standing the shocks with yellow springs?
Going up with the shocks makes:
- the sprins seem harder (more movement)
- and makes damping seem harder.

Both make the car more direct.
If you changed to a harder spring and go up a hole you make the effect bigger.
One of the good things of the 710 is you can really change the feel of the car. You may not like the agressive turn in, but others may well like that feeling. The feel changes but not so much the grip of the car.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:24 AM
Tech Initiate

I went one hole up on the rear shock, and swithced to red rear springs. Also improved. Of course a lot has to do with driving style as well. I tend to go faster when the car is on the edge and I like to power out of the turns and roll the car into the turns. Plus our track "Go Racing Hobbies" has a medium length straight and two sweepers and a technical infield. I'll try using the stagger on the tires as you mentioned Julius. Thanks
Josh
Old 01-06-2004, 05:52 AM

You know, I come to think about it.. most of the time/case is not the car that suits our own personal prefferences on how the car must react. I think it is more on the other way around as tire wears, weather changes, engines temp changes, etc etc etc. Unless you playing a video game, at least all of my cars does not always perform the same in the whole final.. even when I played electric for just 5 minutes race, it never felt the same from start to the end.

Somehow I believe more that we tunes the car to handle particular tracks so that we could manage to drive it easily.. more forgiving said Julius when promoting the 710 if not mistaken

One more thing, I just did a little survey out of the blue... V1R thread is replied 1 every 19 views, here is every 23, and mtx is every 26, while the G4 is every 44 views.

What does it means? more trouble? or reflecting the people personality? if you like to talk much go get kyosho at least that what couple of those mtx guys think of us here..

Since I believe all cars is about the same (geometry wise), only a matter of balance that makes it forgiving to drive, I'm not really into this is better than that .......... but hell, ONLY one thing keeps bugging me.... how the hell you call it balance when the fuel tank is off center
Old 01-06-2004, 06:17 AM
Tech Adept

Default Lola body mount

So how are the Lola bodies being mounted.I,ve got the body and the Lola front bumper but it appeares the body will hit front shock tower so I,m holding off on mounting it.Seems I have seen somewhere that Serpent will have a front shock tower at some point for Lola body
Old 01-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Tech Initiate

I looked at one of the guys running the lola body on sunday and he had the front shocks laid all the way down and then he cut off the top part of the shock tower so the lola body could fit. Also, he used the stock bumper mounts without the foam bumber installed. Seemed to fit perfectly.
hope this helps.
Josh
Old 01-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by JoshVilleneuve
I looked at one of the guys running the lola body on sunday and he had the front shocks laid all the way down and then he cut off the top part of the shock tower so the lola body could fit. Also, he used the stock bumper mounts without the foam bumber installed. Seemed to fit perfectly.
hope this helps.
Josh
With the foam bumper????
I find that hard to believe......
Old 01-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Tech Initiate

without! That's what I said didn't I? I believe I meant without the foam bumber!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.