Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 03:53 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Bearings!

Originally posted by InitialD
I use Mobil 1 fully synthetic SAE 0W-40 engine oil to lube my bearings. It gives all the protection the bearing needs. A little bit on the thicker side I would say but I rather have it thick than having to redo my bearings every now and then...

Still, I must say that after running in the brake pads and the belts, my 710 is as smooth as a shaft driven Barracuda battery car !

If I use the Mobil 1 engine oil, I only do it once the bearings start to feel gritty. The wheel bearings are the most times I inspect. I don't have a specific schedule to clean my bearings. If I check the 2 speed gearbox or if I have to take out the layshaft or pulleys, I will make an attempt to check the bearings there and clean / lube them as necessary. Else, they stay smooth and lubed.

The trick is to keep them clean after every weekend of before beginning a day's run. I specifically don't try to blow compressed air into the bearings or near them to clear the dirt off after a day's run. I use the Serpent cleaning gum / putty to do this. They are excellent in keeping the external of the bearings clean and dust free without contaminating the bearing internals with dirt.
InitialD:

Thankyou... Can i ask why you don't use Teflon based bearing oil (Eg... Trinity)?

What is everyone else doing?
Old 12-28-2003, 04:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by S710_Nut
Pacman: Where abouts are you based? OZ?
If he saw Josh drive the G4 in Australia then he is either based in or around Brisbane, Queensland or was up here recently for the Nationals as Josh made the trip over to race at England Park for the Nats.

Cheers Alastair
Old 12-28-2003, 04:40 PM
Tech Regular

Default Steering rod length for F 9550 servo

With servo arm 90 degrees to servo body, correct length for steering rod is 41.5 mm. This requires that you cut about 1.5 mm off the end peices and both ends of the turnbuckle.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:06 PM

Since this threads has gone very fast, I`m wondering if you all notice/ever mentioned that upper deck has different height in front end and the back (mid bracket) by 0.95-1mm depends on how you thighten it.

Hope Serpent notice and has prepare with the correct one.

Rodrigo1508... if you want car that perform/handles well out of the BOX and cheap BUT wiling to sacrifice for quality (based on box stock material and assembly which heavily requires filling/sanding, etc), you will definitely be happy with the G4s. Fully hop ups will make the car strongs as a rock (yes, much stronger than anycar out there) but will cost you almost 3 times.

Serpent S710 is geared toward the future needs with unlimited/more advance adjustment to suited any tracks. Box stock rigidity, appearance, and easy of assembly has put this car on a different level of R/C craftmanship, yet with promising performance that we all discover day by day.

Do I get you more confuse?
Old 12-28-2003, 05:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Pyramid
Since this threads has gone very fast, I`m wondering if you all notice/ever mentioned that upper deck has different height in front end and the back (mid bracket) by 0.95-1mm depends on how you thighten it.

I found the same.

Hope Serpent notice and has prepare with the correct one.

Rodrigo1508... if you want car that perform/handles well out of the BOX and cheap BUT wiling to sacrifice for quality (based on box stock material and assembly which heavily requires filling/sanding, etc), you will definitely be happy with the G4s. Fully hop ups will make the car strongs as a rock (yes, much stronger than anycar out there) but will cost you almost 3 times.

Serpent S710 is geared toward the future needs with unlimited/more advance adjustment to suited any tracks. Box stock rigidity, appearance, and easy of assembly has put this car on a different level of R/C craftmanship, yet with promising performance that we all discover day by day.

Do I get you more confuse?
I found the same height difference.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Mugen MTX-3 or Serpent 710?

Just got some Christmas cash and I want to spend it on buying a new R/C car. I'm currently debating on which kit to get? An MTX-3 or a 710? I just want to get an idea of what people think of both kits and why they chose a certain car over the other. Thanks...
Old 12-28-2003, 07:46 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Man its fast!

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Man, you don't miss much on anything Serpent eh?
Old 12-28-2003, 07:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
OK, OK, it was Mark Green ...
Ummm, perhaps mytsn is still on year end holidays... No report yet. I guess that is gonna be the first 710 achievement on the track ! Any short report on that?
Old 12-28-2003, 07:56 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Bearings!

Originally posted by S710_Nut
Thankyou... Can i ask why you don't use Teflon based bearing oil (Eg... Trinity)?
The Trinity Royal bearing oil or something like that? I have that and it is very thin based. For electric cars, that may be good because it provides very smooth bearing performance after you apply to the bearings. Then again, they dry out very fast too. So you need to reapply them to the bearings almost every time and especially more so with gas powered cars.

That is why I prefer Mobil 1. Slightly thicker and the bearings stay lubricated over time after use. If it's good for the 1:1 car engine, I don't see why not it's good for our bearings !
Old 12-28-2003, 08:08 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Mugen MTX-3 or Serpent 710?

Originally posted by DrifterX86
Just got some Christmas cash and I want to spend it on buying a new R/C car. I'm currently debating on which kit to get? An MTX-3 or a 710? I just want to get an idea of what people think of both kits and why they chose a certain car over the other. Thanks...
Get the Mugen ! More people here will appreciate you for this !

Naah, just joking... Get the car which you can get trackside and LHS support in terms of spares. The one that can give you better support technically and spare parts wise would be the car to choose.

In terms of adjustment, the 710 has plenty. Some say that this may confuse the hell out of the driver. I think personally it is better to have those adjustable options available on the car than to have none. Then again, if you wantto use just the default setup (which I'm currently using now), the car is super easy to drive on the track. Those adjustable options on the car is nice for those who are interested to thinker and get more performance out of it. If you're like me, you may like to thinker with these settings.

After all that said, for some of us, it's more of a religon. Many who have been playing over the years will stick to their own brand of cars no matter what. So happen that this time, Serpent is the religon to be associated with ! Before, it was AE, next was Mugen and now it's Serpent's time.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:14 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Pyramid
Pyramid, I have not noticed this on mine. I need to take it off to check and notice this.

Which part was higher? Front side or the side where the mid braket is? Is this with the receiver pack installed below the tank? On my 705, I once cracked the tank because I forced the receiver pack underneath the tank too hard. Found out later that the receiver pack was not soldered to the correct dimensions which made the mounting under the tank very tight.

The other guess could be that the rollcenter shims in the front are not placed or sit in properly... The have different grooves to sit onto the plastic bulkhead or on top of the shims.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Steering rod length for F 9550 servo

Originally posted by clmbia45
With servo arm 90 degrees to servo body, correct length for steering rod is 41.5 mm. This requires that you cut about 1.5 mm off the end peices and both ends of the turnbuckle.
Cool. Glad you got yours.

For me, I like the steering throw to be equal left and right without adjusting the steering EPA on the Tx too much. So I went with the servo arm at 90 degree angles with the linkage and not the servo casing.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by PUNISHER
Well D, it seems that you are in love with the new 710!!
Punisher, that would be an understatement !

From what I read from your previous posts the car seems to be a sure thing out of the box! Also most of the 710 owns will agree with this statement too, huh?
Really? Did I say that?

Hope the other Mfg. owners won't feel left out in the upcoming season!
No comments...
Old 12-28-2003, 09:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well, I can now truthfully add the 710 to my rctech signature .
I haven't started building yet, prob. tomorrow.

It's too bad I won't be racing it till March. I'm caught up in winter carpet season now. I'll definitely do some cold weather testing, though .

BTW, do all the kits come with the same tires, and, if so ,what tires are included? I know D mentioned that the std. setup called for 40/40, but there was a concern on what was actually included in the kit.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

Aside from the tire question, what engines are you guys using and exhaust system ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.