Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by markp27
You'll have brittle bones, too, one day
Don't worry. I'll act my age when the day comes. Not like some people I know.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
Don't worry. I'll act my age when the day comes. Not like some people I know.
wait a minute, which one are you refering to?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:14 PM
Tech Prophet

wait a minute, which one are you refering to?
Well, let's put it this way... At least Onkel Sow does not rollerblade. Imagine a pola bear on rollerblades.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:32 PM
Tech Elite

Well, let's put it this way... At least Onkel Sow does not rollerblade. Imagine a pola bear on rollerblades.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Tech Elite

BTW: D, you're showing signs of needing a telescope/microscope, too

You have PM @ 3hobby.net
Old 04-12-2005, 12:44 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Paolo M
I guys

Airleaking.........that's the problem. So far i had same problem in 1 engine. The 2 cams that you use to fix the carb at the crankcase in some case are some tents too long, and so even if you tigth the screw all the way down, still the carb is not really tigth and some air leaks from there (i had 1 engine that with the screw all the way, the carb was loose :weird
To solve this, you need to take out the 2 cams, grind a little bit and then the problem is solved.
Anyway, if there is no airleaking and the engine is running good and progressively is becoming lean, i normally rich the HSN (wich since is the "main" needle, it will also rich the bottom at the same time.

About compression, at sea level with 16% you should use 0.3 mm. Anyway, reading the plug is the best way for me

Another tip is the oring inside the crankcase (there is an internal oring inside the crank where the carb is located. I have had some bad experience with the internal oring cause the fit is so tigth that in several cases when you install the carb you strip the oring and the black parts goes in the crankshaft making a mess (not a big problem, is easy to solve, but anyway). I am using my engines without the oring (i use only the oring that is in the carb and no problem at all.

Paolo
Thanks for the reply Paolo i would just like to know how to check if the carb is leaking?
Old 04-12-2005, 12:51 AM
Tech Prophet

BTW: D, you're showing signs of needing a telescope/microscope, too

You have PM @ 3hobby.net
Well, actually I'm a rather slow typist. And a long PM reply requires a whole lot longer time.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Brett.w
Thanks for the reply Paolo i would just like to know how to check if the carb is leaking?
Brett, what I found was that my two piece carb clamp was not seated correctly and it has actually damaged the metal part of the carb housing (the part which fits into the engine)

It seems you have to be very careful in aligning the two pieces before pushing in the carb - Maybe it was also like Paolo said, due to the locking clamps being a little too long, they looked ok to me, but I'll check them more carefully.

A tip I got at 3hobby in check for a leak, is to spray WD40 or cleaning fluid onto the area where you think the leak is and if it affects the revs, then you can be certain there is a leak.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:04 AM
Tech Elite

Well, actually I'm a rather slow typist. And a long PM reply requires a whole lot longer time.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:16 AM
Tech Addict

Brett, what I found was that my two piece carb clamp was not seated correctly and it has actually damaged the metal part of the carb housing (the part which fits into the engine)

It seems you have to be very careful in aligning the two pieces before pushing in the carb - Maybe it was also like Paolo said, due to the locking clamps being a little too long, they looked ok to me, but I'll check them more carefully.

A tip I got at 3hobby in check for a leak, is to spray WD40 or cleaning fluid onto the area where you think the leak is and if it affects the revs, then you can be certain there is a leak.
Thanks for the tip Mark. With the damage, is your carb ruined? or cna it be fixed
Old 04-12-2005, 01:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Brett.w
Thanks for the tip Mark. With the damage, is your carb ruined? or cna it be fixed
Not sure - it is just a small impression of one half of the clamp in the metal body - looks like it was pressing more from one side than the other - worth check before you look for leaks.

I would have thought, if I put some sealent between the carb and the engine housing, that should be enough to cure the problem, though.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:30 AM
Tech Elite

Here's a question for our Mugen Super Grease expert...(that's you D )....would smearing the grease around the interface between the engine and the carb housing create an air-tight seal?
Would it run due to the heat of the motor?

Just a thought.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:03 AM
Tech Prophet

Sorry, couldn't help being called the *spit* Super Grease expert.

It's worth a try though but don't know if it can actually work.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:16 AM
Tech Regular

Here's a question for our Mugen Super Grease expert...(that's you D )....would smearing the grease around the interface between the engine and the carb housing create an air-tight seal?
Would it run due to the heat of the motor?

Just a thought.

Cheers, Mark.
Mark...I wouldn't do that. Most motors have the oring below the carb clamp and air leak shouldn't be a problem. The older motor only had the oring at the base of the carb. Back then you could have leaks from the carb clamp.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JustRace
Mark...I wouldn't do that. Most motors have the oring below the carb clamp and air leak shouldn't be a problem. The older motor only had the oring at the base of the carb. Back then you could have leaks from the carb clamp.
Bit of grease on the o-ring may not hurt, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.