Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 02:01 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Release

Originally posted by herb
That's correct, as we are located near the Serpent HQ's and got our hands on a pretty large number of first kits, we are able to have the S710 as one the first resellers. And ship pre-ordered cars on the 10th. By the way, there are 3 kits left to order...
,, cool,, how many pre-orders you guys have already? , that only left you 3 kits?

I really don't now the conversion from Euro to $$, but 479.00 €, looks a little pricy , for a hobby shop that is near by the headquarters of Serpent Co., I live in Puerto Rico in the other side of the world and I only have to pay $389.99 for my kit, that should arrives in the next two weeks..

Ciao!!
Old 12-06-2003, 02:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: Re: Release

Originally posted by paulfitipauldi
,, cool,, how many pre-orders you guys have already? , that only left you 3 kits?

I really don't now the conversion from Euro to $$, but 479.00 €, looks a little pricy , for a hobby shop that is near by the headquarters of Serpent Co., I live in Puerto Rico in the other side of the world and I only have to pay $389.99 for my kit, that should arrives in the next two weeks..

Ciao!!
Reason for this price is the higher reseller- and enduser prices in Europe. And off course the current low value of the USD compared to the Eeuro.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Default Not long now !!!

Old 12-06-2003, 06:07 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Not long now !!!

Originally posted by JABRONI
I hope so, i want it under my tree for Christmas!
Old 12-06-2003, 09:11 PM
Tech Addict

So does it accept regular foams or are they still Serpent only style?
Old 12-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by CraigH
So does it accept regular foams or are they still Serpent only style?
If you are referring to the clearance of the rims, that should no longer be an issue. With the steeringblocks used and the new uprights there is ample clearance.

Even offset wheels like the Mugen wheels should be ok as you can easily correct the width change with the pivot balls.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by CraigH
So does it accept regular foams?
What are "regular foams"?

Old 12-07-2003, 08:32 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Julius
If you are referring to the clearance of the rims, that should no longer be an issue. With the steeringblocks used and the new uprights there is ample clearance.
Yes, this is what I noticed when changing to the FC steering blocks (same steering blocks on the 710) on the 705. The FC steering knuckles seem to be tougher too.

Originally posted by Julius
Even offset wheels like the Mugen wheels should be ok as you can easily correct the width change with the pivot balls.
Cool. The 705 when used with offset rear rims needed to use the narrower aluminum wheel hex adaptors to keep the trackwidth to 200 mm.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:17 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Lower Internal Ratio Better for Acceleration?

Something that makes interesting reading at the thread at the Electric forum which applies for gas powered cars also. Of particular interest is seaball's post which is in line with what the guys at Serpent are trying to drive at with regards to the low internal ratio of the 710 and the complaints that they have been receiving;

from a physics and theoretical standpoint, the lower ratio should increase overall accelleration based on the fact that the layshaft, in either case, will be rotating less due to the lower internal ratio to produce the same overal vehicle speed.

the importance here is that kinetic energy is a linear function of rotating mass, and a squared function of rotating speed. therefore, the intent with the lower ratio is to minimize the amount of kinetic energy required to accelerate the drivetrain to it's maximum speed.

another benefit of the lower ratio for belt cars comes with the increase in layshaft pulley size that is needed to acheive this lower ratio. this results in a more effecient drivetrain, since the belt won't have to form such a small radius through the wrapping of the layshaft pulley. additionally, the belt can be run even more loosely since it will have more teeth to contact it to prevent what is known as "ratcheting" or skipping of the belt under loads.

realistically, it may be insignificant, because the pulley mass increases due to its larger size, the spur usually needs to increase to get the external ratio high enough to maintain the same FDR.

there are always design compromises that will be made, but i do believe the intent of a low internal ratio is to gain a better spool up time through minimizing the KE required.

I believe on gas cars, it is even more paramount that the drive train rotates less times seeing how many parts rotate.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:29 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Lower Internal Ratio Better for Acceleration?

Originally posted by InitialD
Something that makes interesting reading at the thread at the Electric forum which applies for gas powered cars also. Of particular interest is seaball's post which is in line with what the guys at Serpent are trying to drive at with regards to the low internal ratio of the 710 and the complaints that they have been receiving;

from a physics and theoretical standpoint, the lower ratio should increase overall accelleration based on the fact that the layshaft, in either case, will be rotating less due to the lower internal ratio to produce the same overal vehicle speed.

the importance here is that kinetic energy is a linear function of rotating mass, and a squared function of rotating speed. therefore, the intent with the lower ratio is to minimize the amount of kinetic energy required to accelerate the drivetrain to it's maximum speed.

another benefit of the lower ratio for belt cars comes with the increase in layshaft pulley size that is needed to acheive this lower ratio. this results in a more effecient drivetrain, since the belt won't have to form such a small radius through the wrapping of the layshaft pulley. additionally, the belt can be run even more loosely since it will have more teeth to contact it to prevent what is known as "ratcheting" or skipping of the belt under loads.

realistically, it may be insignificant, because the pulley mass increases due to its larger size, the spur usually needs to increase to get the external ratio high enough to maintain the same FDR.

there are always design compromises that will be made, but i do believe the intent of a low internal ratio is to gain a better spool up time through minimizing the KE required.

I believe on gas cars, it is even more paramount that the drive train rotates less times seeing how many parts rotate.
Well I don't know about internal ratio, but my 705 with stock ratios accelerate slower than other cars on the track, its VERY smooth I have to say, but it lacks PUNCH at low speed, which I felt on my last outing and thats bad for small track...
Anyway, GREAT time on saturday, managed to run 3 tanks of gas, which is good for me!! Then I broke front shock shaft TWICE!!
That thing is easy to break huh!?
Now at this new track, when running 40 front and 42 rear, the car is sliding at turns... I think I need softer rear tires, and perhaps a little more chamber on the rear...
Old 12-07-2003, 09:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Lower Internal Ratio Better for Acceleration?

Originally posted by lawndoggie
Well I don't know about internal ratio, but my 705 with stock ratios accelerate slower than other cars on the track, its VERY smooth I have to say, but it lacks PUNCH at low speed, which I felt on my last outing and thats bad for small track...
Ummm, I think there is a limit to where higher internal drive ratio gives diminishing returns. Many people attribute the sluggish clutch performance due to the lower internal ratio and FDR but it's all about building the Centax clutch right although I would admit that the stock gearing on the 705 is a little too tall for a small track.

I believe the one on the 705 using 15T/50T and with the optional 22T/46T/17T internal pulleys (FDR of 7.12) is about right. I do not have problems competing with the other cars or pulling away from those cars with higher internal drive ratios and higher FDR on smaller tracks. Again, your Centax clutch must be set right.

I think I sent you or wrote some info on how to set the Centax clutch. Basically, set the Centax clutch spring tight. Use smaller end float spacing between the clutch bell and clutch shoe. On the track, loosen the Centax clutch spring in 1/4 turns at a time until you get the best launch or compromise.

Now at this new track, when running 40 front and 42 rear, the car is sliding at turns... I think I need softer rear tires, and perhaps a little more chamber on the rear...
Try to run equal front and rear shores. Perhaps use 40 shore all around or even 42 front and 40 rear if you have too much steering. Stick with -3 or -4 for the rear camber.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Re: Lower Internal Ratio Better for Acceleration?

Where did you play last Saturday? I ran my Impulse Pro in PYC last Saturday which accelerated great and the handling was very good. In fact, I have not been there for 2 months. I went to PYC to race with my friend who had a NTC3. The gear ratio at PYC is 15/18 & 44/48 and 42 shore with 61mm dia. at front and 45 shore with 64mm dia. at rear. Unfortunately, I did not notice a person at the track and I hit his foot and my rear lower arm was damaged after running 4 tanks of fuel.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Lower Internal Ratio Better for Acceleration?

Originally posted by utopian
The gear ratio at PYC is 15/18 & 44/48 and 42 shore with 61mm dia. at front and 45 shore with 64mm dia. at rear.
You running a 3 mm split with the stock internal pulleys? Wouldn't that create push and an unstable rear during acceleration?

Unfortunately, I did not notice a person at the track and I hit his foot and my rear lower arm was damaged after running 4 tanks of fuel.
I pitty the guy's leg ! I guess it was quite a big hit seeing that the lower rear arm broke.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:40 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Lower Internal Ratio Better for Acceleration?

Where did you play last Saturday? I ran my Impulse Pro in PYC last Saturday which accelerated great and the handling was very good. In fact, I have not been there for 2 months. I went to PYC to race with my friend who had a NTC3. The gear ratio at PYC is 15/18 & 44/48 and 42 shore with 61mm dia. at front and 45 shore with 64mm dia. at rear. Unfortunately, I did not notice a person at the track and I hit his foot and my rear lower arm was damaged after running 4 tanks of fuel.
That was you!!!! We actually talked!! I am the guy that ran in the engine the one time, and had lotsa problem???
Old 12-07-2003, 09:43 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Lower Internal Ratio Better for Acceleration?

Originally posted by InitialD
You running a 3 mm split with the stock internal pulleys? Wouldn't that create push and an unstable rear during acceleration?

I pitty the guy's leg ! I guess it was quite a big hit seeing that the lower rear arm broke.
Thats the guy who showed me the 24mm front tires... he cut them using tire truer and xacto...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.