Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 966

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 05:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nitrodude
#1My conversion came with instructions.

#2 It is logical that you have the 960 08 if you’re converting to the 966.

#3 My setup is exactly the same as it was with my 08. If you had read the interview with Michael Salven you would know that the geometry doesn’t change on the 966, its exactly the same.

#4 You don’t have to hack anything up, Im not sure what you’re talking about. The conversion comes with washers for the lower and upper arms. You know, those thin orange circle thingies?
steve you received a pre-production conversion kit one from the team supply. i on the other hand received a production kit where they do not put in instructions. and if you were to experiment by changing the location of the rear arms or shorten the rear wheel base you would know that it hits the rear spur gear on the front of the arm when you have any suppenion movement up. and yes i read the salvin comments prior to its release. and as i had stated prior in most 1/8th scale kits they give you a starting place where to begin a set up. from what i have been able to find the set up from the 08 car and the setup on the 966 are different in there manuals. if i am not mistaken the setups are different in the instruction manuals. as a car matures and more and more as data is collected the setup does change. everybody doesn't have the exact same access to information as others so it is nice to have the information in the kit to let every driver see how they have changed what they are doing with the set up of the car. i had one of the original 960s im have added to itas parts change. this is a good thing it allows a person to stay up to date without having to buy new kits every time they improve the design. but design changes without the change in information can be restrictive to drivers because they wouldn't know what each new adjustment does for the car. and when you receive nothing in the box it could be overwhelming. and when this conversion kit was made it is with some assumptions. now everybody is telling me only screw the screws in snug with lock tight and not tight because they had broke a screw in his bulk head. this is not a knock on the car but a lack of information included in the conversion kit and some assumptions they made when constructing it.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin
they just came in,, MONDAY ..and no thanx ,, but you can follow mine if you want ...LOL...
THEY DID STOP MAKING THAT UP!!! FOLLOW YOURS IF YOU CAN TUNE IT TO MAKE SOME POWER LOL
Old 04-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DJ N4CER
What part of NYC if you dont mind me asking? Which hobby shop do you go to? Part of what killed my interest way back was that good hobby shops were hard to come by or they would close down, and the ones that were open were just filled with arrogant jerks that you couldnt ask them a single thing.
queens and nyc hobbies has a good and pleasant feel when you walk in the door . so give them a shot .
Old 04-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Nelson, I don’t know where you're getting your info, because I haven’t heard of anyone breaking a screw in the bulkhead. If you break a screw in the bulkhead you must be the hulk. It seems there’s a lot of mis-information on the car. It seems to me like there’s a lot of people that run another brand of car that just like to say things that are simply not true.

As far as setup goes, you should ask a Serpent driver, Nigel comes to mind. Or just come here and anybody that has the car will be glad to help, instead of badmouthing the car, just ask the questions and they will be answered

You don’t need to go that short on the rear wheelbase. I run as short as possible in the front, and 1mm short on the rear. Im not a team driver, but Nigel helps me setup the car. Plus theres a few things that were tried at the Winternats by the Team that I have done to my car setup-wise.

Last edited by nitrodude; 04-12-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by captian
queens and nyc hobbies has a good and pleasant feel when you walk in the door . so give them a shot .
I deff will, I looked them up online and they seem ok. The fact that they are not too far from me is also a plus, thanks for your help.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i bought the conversion kit and, i want to know did any one have a broblem with the 2mm flat hex screws thats used to attach the rear bulk heads, i had trouble trying to tighten them down because it rounded out my hex driver. If i use another brand of screw i could tighten it down with out it stripping.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowPushin
i bought the conversion kit and, i want to know did any one have a broblem with the 2mm flat hex screws thats used to attach the rear bulk heads, i had trouble trying to tighten them down because it rounded out my hex driver. If i use another brand of screw i could tighten it down with out it stripping.
Your hex wrench driver must have been really worn out and that is the reason why the hex screws heads got rounded.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowPushin
i finished building my kit and the race ready total weight is 2535 grams is that to heavy. and if it is whats the legal weight for a 1/8 scale on road
Did you have a full kit or just a conversion kit?
Old 04-13-2009, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DJ N4CER
I deff will, I looked them up online and they seem ok. The fact that they are not too far from me is also a plus, thanks for your help.
glade to help
Old 04-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

glade to help
Glade is used to dust, but im sure your GLAD to help him....tisk tisk.. i can thread stalk also holmes!! LOL ..oh and dont worry, my games tight..
Old 04-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

OHHHHHHHH SH!^ IT"S ON!!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin

Glade is used to dust, but im sure your GLAD to help him....tisk tisk.. i can thread stalk also holmes!! LOL ..oh and dont worry, my games tight..
you got me on that one !! but stalking is not good i really didnt mean to turn you out like that over rc lol
Old 04-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

you got me on that one !! but stalking is not good i really didnt mean to turn you out like that over rc lol
i was just following your suit big poppa.,.,.,
Old 04-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

does any one know if the aluminium front sway bar holder is worth getting or should i keep replacing the plastic ones. with the plastic it gets worn ,and its hard to set my droop with out raising one side of the suspension once i conect sway bar

Last edited by SlowPushin; 04-14-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up PRECISION PRODUCTION

This car was produced via careful and precise measurements. There is no need to alter or modify any parts to make it work..on the other hand, we all have to remember that we are working on these a lot smaller scale cars that are as close to working on the real race car . That your hand would apply torque gently, meaning..let the loctite do its work...Now in regards to setting up, I ask the more knowledgeable racing buddies around..I am learning the car as I go.
This is a very good car and I hope that prices for the parts will remain affordable
Last time I checked..this car has been on the winning podium lately

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.