Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MTX 5

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Tech Regular

Default Spur breaking

I have noticed that once the pinions seem worn, they will strip gears. Also the 2 speed shoe has to be tight or needs a hard spring in the gearbox. Like how X-ray offer hard 2speed shoe springs. I really feel its the 2 speed shoe not disengaging. Could be the material of the shoe, or springs,. Right now I'm using the X-ray 2 speed shoe. But this issue is really disheartening .
Old 07-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by afm
Any news on Mugen adressing the spur breaking issue officially? I read somewhere that for the European championship they would release an improved version off gearbox/clutch/spurs.

I´ve tried every tip, building process, recomendation, et.etc. and can't have a running stream larger than 15 minutes before spurs go.....BTW i'm no novice in this hobby and in my 12 years in it, i've had all the major brands of cars, and never seen something like this..

AFM
for now there is nothing official.
I will be with mtx5 to European and if there will be new, even unofficial, will write.
as regards the problem ..... when the 2 things together (clutch and linkage) have, for months now, so that it no longer the problem.

hello

maver
Old 07-31-2012, 01:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

after baileys 2 gears final i had a look at car today and there is a lot of play in between gear /pinion i don't remember if i checked it before final it has eather worn or engine has moved on we have not had this much drama since it was new we thought we had a handell on this
greg
Old 07-31-2012, 02:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There has been one of many working theorys, that the engine mounts move either during a shunt, or perhaps from riding curbs etc, or maybe just general driving (force of gears under load pushing them apart perhaps).

I know when I sat down and looked, any stripped gear I had, seemed to show the mesh had not been tight when it stripped, and it would seem anyone that strips one, will usually strip another right away if the mesh is not re-checked before replacing the gear.

And I know on my car, first ever stripped gear was from loosing a screw and seeing it riding/jumping curbs with another driver, second incident was lazy mesh (I knew it was set loose), then it doing it again right away cause I failed to fix said lazy mesh.

It's maybe interesting, or not, that the stock Mugen washers, alloy against anodized alloy, may slip a little easily, and for myself, having run it for ages without stripping, right from the start I used high tensile steel large round head engine mount screws (off my old Team Magic), with the steel heads biting into the alloy chassis likely more than a soft alloy washer???.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

here in Germany, some mugen drivers are using a carbon brace between T2107L and R.
With this the chassisplate won´t bend in this area, so the sideplay at the 2-speed shaft will stay constant. If you don´t use this brace you will see that the play of the shaft will be more and more after each run. And at some point it will cause the stripping issues.

Last edited by SebO; 08-06-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Mugen Gear stripping - possible option

Hi All

When we had the gear stripping problem on the MTX4R we made sure of the mesh, 2 speed shoe being set tightly etc.... everything that has been mentioned but what fixed it for us was......

"Take the balls/roller out of the two speed, remove the 3mm grub screw and then drill the 2 speed shoes out to take a 4mm grub screw. Screw the 4mm grub screw directly down onto the cam". Then set the 2 speed closely to the holder to have a very smooth change, by doing this it made the gear change very consistant and smooth.

Our stripping problem went away, I appreciate the 5 has flex but give this a go it may work.

Good Luck (Convert now to Xray!!!)
Old 07-31-2012, 11:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

i xrayed one and there was a mtx4r in side///ha
greg
Old 08-01-2012, 02:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yeah Right!
(Convert now to Xray!!!)
I thought it was good to see the Xrays beat out the Caps on the weekend...
Old 08-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

after having another look at baileys car apart from gap in pinions chassi is bent all over the place even with brace on after market ones are not worth buying
Old 08-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Which aftermarket chassis have you tried Greg?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

chassi was one from rc market $37 we are going to try the one back a couple of posts rc goods or some thin like that
has anybody tried it yet
bailey mtx 5 hit another car on long straight at full noise only broke bumper and body supports never looked at chassi should have it seams now but we didn't have one anyway
Old 08-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Tech Regular

Default maybe a solution

I'm just like all of u out there...I have tried everything ...listen to everything an read everything ...this is what I have done..the chassis flex is there but I thing the 2 speed shaft holders flex also...I even broke one...check this out...I raced all day Sunday without any strips...hope it will help???
Old 08-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

I would not doubt that the shaft can flex, this is why I never used the hallow shaft in my X-ray. I really believe it has to do with the 2nd speed shifting in and out. The 2 speed shoe has to be perfect. Right now im using an X-ray 2 speed shoe setup. If its the shaft that flexes how come the first gear does not strip. Has to be the 2 speed shoe

Last edited by NITTO550; 08-02-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention
Old 08-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Nitro...have u stripped a gear since u went to the xray gears???? Of not which one r u running an how did u get them to fit??
Old 08-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

Nitto...have u stripped a gear since u went to the xray gears???? Of not which one r u running an how did u get them to fit??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.