Wiki Posts
Search

MTX 5

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SebO
do you mean the part with the no. T2707? So this was the reason of stripping gears and not the flex of the rear end?
Yes, T2707...

Possibly/probably/maybe, it certainly does not help anything, kind of an embarrassing little issue from Mugen, made worse by sending out replacements that you could see were not drilled out straight without even needing to open the packets.

I don't think it was a reflection on the car as a whole though, just a dumb little issue they cocked up, which likely has not done the rep of the new car any favors.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If anybody stripping gears that is most like it. My center end clutch shaft was off .014 that came in the kit. Call Mugen and see if the have the new end pc one in stock to sell or give.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Mine was cause by the clutch nut coming loose by itself. It cause the bell with no end play and was overheating the engine.

Since then I threadlock the nut and no more stripping
Old 01-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Tech Regular

Stripping gear problem solved with that...

More here.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Does anyone think that using a carbon fibre chassis will reduce the flex?
Old 01-14-2012, 05:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Undies
Does anyone think that using a carbon fibre chassis will reduce the flex?
i'm still having issues with my cars brakes. i can't get the pads to bite hard enough, and winding up the brake on the radio and the servo horn leads to massive chassis bend at full bite... which isn't enough brakes still.

Also i've found the whole pad isn't touching the disk. there's a shinny spot on the pad where the brake lever pushes on the pad, but the whole pad is not grabbing the disk you can also see this as there is a shinny part on the disk where the pads grab but the whole disk isn't shinny.

at full bite you can see that the pads do not grab the disk on the edges of the pad

i'm not a fan of the rotating cam type system for the brakes....maybe the pads take more than a Nationals event to break in, anyone else found they lack brakes?...i'm starting to get the sh1ts with these pads
Old 01-14-2012, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Tom, did you clean the disk and pads with meths before fitting?, being a real brake friction material, it will get irrevocably contaminated from oils used to stop the disk rusting in the packs, in other words, the pads will never grip if they get the wrong oils on them and it soaks in.

Actually I worry a little about diff silicone fluid getting on the disk and pads myself, cause I know that will root friction material as well...
Old 01-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default MTX5

Old 01-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bishop
Yes, T2707...

Possibly/probably/maybe, it certainly does not help anything, kind of an embarrassing little issue from Mugen, made worse by sending out replacements that you could see were not drilled out straight without even needing to open the packets.

I don't think it was a reflection on the car as a whole though, just a dumb little issue they cocked up, which likely has not done the rep of the new car any favors.
You're doing a great job trying to help people here Kerry, but you should really start racing the car soon. There are still a few other issues with this car that needs to be sorted out, and (correct me if I'm wrong) I think that the only MTX5 to finish a final in the club so far is yours, the only time that you took it to a meeting. Michael Kirby in an ancient MTX3 is beating the MTX5 drivers!

A little bit of self interest from me here perhaps; since it would be great to have you boosting the numbers in this class at club meetings, but last night's racing was good. Many thanks for running the meeting so smoothly; the racing is so relaxed at Brendale - just awesome.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

Question is ..... is it the driver or is it the car....

and that night the MTX 3 and 4 beat the 5 and the capricorn.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:43 PM
prg
Tech Apprentice

Default Gear issues

Hi guys
We have Had gear stripping issues and I have done the following to try and determine where the issue is.
Firstly after changing all gearbox items with another 5 that wasn't stripping gears and taking out the play in rear shaft and finally changing the chassis we still had the problem.
We then changed the motor and clutch complete , with this the stripping of 2nd gear stopped. This motor and clutch did approx 40 min of running when the problem returned. All usual checks were done ensuring mesh was correct and nothing had come loose or broken. We would only get 2 to 3 laps out of a 2nd gear.
I then loosened up the change so that it would go into 2nd pretty much straight away ( and in doing this reducing the flex or impact of the change)
This solved and stopped the gear stripping . This I believe tells me there is a flex issue or a problem with clutch bell bearings but I'm now just not sure where to go.
Up to this point the car was incredibly quick and looked way better than anything else on the track so we need to find a cure to this problem.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 01-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The_Keeper
Question is ..... is it the driver or is it the car....

and that night the MTX 3 and 4 beat the 5 and the capricorn.
Touchee!

But we got Michael back last night after loosing 2 laps when the engine flamed out at the start. Great meeting; you and Peter should have come, we're missing you.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default mtx5

bailey has had lots of racing with the 5 until now no stripped gears but 2 to night car has brace to straighten bottom plate bearings in clutch all look good pin /gears look all right not like new but on 4 you couldrun them till they realy looked like shit we had a long run in 1 gear till change 2 last night car was very fast with old motor but we are still shity about gears onley good bit was he won 1/8 final thanks 2 trev fixing 2 belts for him good night though with old mrx4r cost $15o not like mtx5
Old 01-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Chickentrader
I think that the only MTX5 to finish a final in the club so far is yours, the only time that you took it to a meeting. Michael Kirby in an ancient MTX3 is beating the MTX5 drivers!
Michael would be kicking mine and many others arses even rocking a MTX2...

And surely I can't have that dubious title?, though it sounds semi typical of me if it's right, everyone seems to be breaking stuff every outing, and somehow I managed to finish 3 out of 3 meets with it.

But then it could be I'm just too slow to really break anything, and N12 Novas don't put you at the front end of a grid all that often...

My 5 should be back on track soon, I got some tyres, few parts, and at least I'm used to my new radio now, one of these days I should go out and practice, though to date I have yet to get around to that, for some reason driving alone on a track bores the hell out of me, which is likely why I never even seem to do any warm up or practice laps pre-race meeting...
Old 01-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Angry mtx5

maybe you can bend it a bit more as it is not straight now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.