Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Picco Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That chart of yours is great information Roelof!!
Helps answer all the plug fitting questions at a glance!
Thanks for posting it up!
Is it a work in progress?
Just wondering, cause the picco info is missing.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Tech Lord

I do not own a Picco plug, de idea was that people can list their plugs.

From an old G1-pro engine I still have some parts and so I could messure the hole for the plug.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

After the GLC I will take time to make some measurements for accurate comparisons. I have not had to tighten OS plugs any more than normal for a turbo. Nor have I seen anything unusual when looking at it with button removed from engine.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

I have an old head button off of my JL Evo 3, an O.S. P7 plug and an ofna 51006(picco) sitting in front of me and there is an obvious difference in the way each plug seals. The picco sits absolutely flush in the chamber and looks almost like it's part of the button. On the other hand the O.S. sticks slightly in the combustion chamber and I can see a gap around the plug. If you sit the two plugs side by side, the difference in taper is obvious.

Now the question is, does it make much of a difference?

As soon as my camera battery charges I will try to take some clear pics to show what I am talking about.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stlfc
I have an old head button off of my JL Evo 3, an O.S. P7 plug and an ofna 51006(picco) sitting in front of me and there is an obvious difference in the way each plug seals. The picco sits absolutely flush in the chamber and looks almost like it's part of the button. On the other hand the O.S. sticks slightly in the combustion chamber and I can see a gap around the plug. If you sit the two plugs side by side, the difference in taper is obvious.

Now the question is, does it make much of a difference?

As soon as my camera battery charges I will try to take some clear pics to show what I am talking about.
I know exactly what you are talking about, I have seen it all, that's why PICCO plugs works better performs better with a PICCO engine.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Tech Lord

Why didn't they create 1 standard turboplug?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
Now that's the 1 million euro question.... money,money,money

Glow plugs are expendibles. If Picco never sells another engine they can always bank on the usage of their glow plugs.

I pose this question to one of popular rc mags. His first reponse was money.
the second reason is to maintain the proper timing of the combustion process(bogus) It's money!!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Roelof
Well let's put it this way, if this were the case then the company with the best performing/cheapest plug would be selling them while all the others would have shelves full of unsellable plugs.

It's actually quit clever because I would never pay $10+ a plug for the piccos if it weren't for the fact of having 3 red dots. However, I have never tried to run the motor with any other plug.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Well I'm going to get some of my turbo plugs and place them on a Optical Comparitor( a huge magnify glass that measure distances on a cnc axis). I should be able list all of the critical measurements of different plugs. I will post my findings tomorrow.

Pass you soon...
Old 07-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lil-bump
Well I'm going to get some of my turbo plugs and place them on a Optical Comparitor( a huge magnify glass that measure distances on a cnc axis). I should be able list all of the critical measurements of different plugs. I will post my findings tomorrow.

Pass you soon...
Great ideal....
Old 07-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default IDM plug = Picco Plug

IDM plugs are less expensive than Picco plugs and IDM plugs are Picco plugs. If you want to save money check out IDM plugs.

Lee
Old 07-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Tech Addict

Ok, here are the pics I promised. The first two are the O.S. plug and the last two are the picco. The last pic shows the difference between the two.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Here's the data. I used the same measurement points as the picture. I did add one dimension G. Which is the angle of the taper in degrees and minutes From straight verticle (up and Down) to the taper angle. Some of the points I measureed from are not true angles but radius; so those dimension can very by .05mm or .002/in. All measurements are in millimeters.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
plugss.doc1.pdf (29.3 KB, 198 views)
Old 07-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Adept

Default head buttons

What head buttons will fit a new picco engine? Are sizes and bolt patterns different? I havn't been in .21s long enough to compare different motors.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the Ninja plugs are a real close fit. I never had issues running them in 1/8th and in fact they last way longer than other manufactures.

On the issue of money concerning these things, why are exhaust gaskets so damn expensive! At my local hobby shop they wanted 7 dollars for one RB exhaust gasket! There must be an alternative! any suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.