Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Wars Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 05:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by loosenut
What is a good motor that's fast and yet very reliable/tunable? Or do those things don't come hand in hand?

Gary
Here's my 2cents.... I have had really good luck with my NovaMega SX12 RE MS. It has been really reliable and easy to tune. It has good bottom end and will keep up with other midrange motors. I've seen a few friends race NovaMega's and they have had good luck with them too.
I've been racing a Novarossi NS12S3 for a few months now and it's been good too. But I think the carb tuning's a little more sensitive than the SX12. Maybe due to the higher power design. A friend of mine has one too and his has been really reliable, despite a few overtemp situations. It has more power than the SX12, but it'll cost more.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Old 10-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Tech Addict

ok...I'm In...

I have had 2 engines...a Picco which I blew up running at high RPM's for too long and an OS which was great! I had to sell my RS4 Racer 2 (Terrible car ...now that I think about it it was good that I sold it) because I needed some money. I am getting back into the nitro mix and I will be getting an R40 in a few months...I am looking for a good engine with power...I value a mid-range powerband more than a super high RPM engine...or maybe you guys have better reasons why I should get a High RPM engine...any suggestions?
Old 10-09-2003, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Default Something interesting to read...

For those 'gearheads' like myself

I was playing from some time ago with the carb needles and their shape, got some interesting results playing with the needles.

If someone has some curiosity (I expect so, for the number of replies and the 'readers') take a look to this:

http://rbproducts.com/rbww/ubb/cgi-b...c;f=1;t=001307

Just to stirr up the things and show that all isn't only grinding cranks and liners.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jhigga15
I am getting back into the nitro mix and I will be getting an R40 in a few months...I am looking for a good engine with power...I value a mid-range powerband more than a super high RPM engine...or maybe you guys have better reasons why I should get a High RPM engine...any suggestions?
IMHO you have two clear options.

1. Get a engine from a reputable tuner telling it what you want (be careful some things are impossible to do).

2. Get an engine from a reputable brand, but paying attention to what you want, you'd better to go to something like an OS TR.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jhigga15
ok...I'm In...

I have had 2 engines...a Picco which I blew up running at high RPM's for too long and an OS which was great! I had to sell my RS4 Racer 2 (Terrible car ...now that I think about it it was good that I sold it) because I needed some money. I am getting back into the nitro mix and I will be getting an R40 in a few months...I am looking for a good engine with power...I value a mid-range powerband more than a super high RPM engine...or maybe you guys have better reasons why I should get a High RPM engine...any suggestions?
It is up to you, what do you preferd. On some tracks realy better have mid-range power band, then high RPM. In some cases not realy problem to tune high RPM engine to very small track too.
If you have bad expirience with Picco blew on High RPM, it means there was something wrong with that particular engine ( can't tell you for sure what was the problem), but it doesn't mean high rev engines aren't relible as mid-range engines. I personaly preferd very high rev engines with very long pipe set up. In your case, OS is realy relible and very dependeble engine, but it is not enough powe for hgh rank competitions ( without modding). If you wanna mid range RPM engine and very rlible in the mean time-get MT12-very relible, have tons of bottom end and mid range, but lack of top end. So you are going to need to do soemthing in case if you wanna be faster on long pieces of track. The price is pretty good too ( to compare to other engines).
Old 10-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can't wait to find out how my MT12 with "top end" is going to do hehehe
Old 10-11-2003, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Default RB Concepts?

OK I'm New and Building my first 'Kit' Car My first Nitro was a RC GT10 RTR and I upgraded the Motor to a RB 12C. The Motor has been Flawless for my Purposes so Far. I am looking at building a 1/10 Tour Car Kit and will be purchasing a MTX 3 or The R40 HPI(and upgrading the HPI if so). The Motor I have Pickedout is the 410 or 430 12V RB Concepts.I see alot about the Nova Rossi's But Have never had one and The Local Track I'll be running seems to have more RB's then NR's Price seems the same and I've been happy with my RB so Far . Any input about the Power Range or Durabilty of the 2?
Thanx
Old 10-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Surge
Here's my 2cents.... I have had really good luck with my NovaMega SX12 RE MS. It has been really reliable and easy to tune. It has good bottom end and will keep up with other midrange motors. I've seen a few friends race NovaMega's and they have had good luck with them too.
I've been racing a Novarossi NS12S3 for a few months now and it's been good too. But I think the carb tuning's a little more sensitive than the SX12. Maybe due to the higher power design. A friend of mine has one too and his has been really reliable, despite a few overtemp situations. It has more power than the SX12, but it'll cost more.
You can get me back at the Regionals.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Excuse me top gun 777, but I'm new to this thread topic and wondering which engines you do like to work on or modify?
Old 10-12-2003, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

It looks like Picco have redesigned their .12 engines and it also seems that Trinity does not have the exclusive for Picco .12's and .15's anymore

www.werksracing.com
Old 10-12-2003, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Default V12 RR

What about RB V12 RR ?

Is it good ? any comments ?
Old 10-12-2003, 09:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
I'm in Melbourne dino.tw . . . . maybe I can take it off your hands!

It looks like OZDC ended up in 12th spot - the results show him driving - STS / STS D3.
Josh Cyrul ended up 18th. and Tommy Lee at 34th - looks like they both had some troubles.
Yeah, was hoping for a finals berth but couldnt quite get it together.

Unfortunately my wife was not home when the D3 arrived and the couriers did'nt deliver it the next day like they said they would.
By then it was too late to run it in at the event.

I wish I had it as I could not get my JP NS3 running right, my Rody was better but would go OK until it blew a plug and it went slow after that. I think the Rody must have something wrong inside as it ended up on a real rich setting but still blew the plug.

Anyway to prove I have it.

I can only hold one in my hand But at least I have clean (no) fingernails

I hope to run it in for the next club meeting and run it at our local (VORTEC) championship.

Dino, many thanks, I'll compile a Nationals report and email it to you.

DC
Old 10-13-2003, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Pit-racer
Excuse me top gun 777, but I'm new to this thread topic and wondering which engines you do like to work on or modify?
Hi. I like to work on any engine, realy doesn't meter for me. I am looking on modification as on the way to how achive performance and I love to work with engines regarding the brand. But which Brand is better to work on, is different question. If initaly engine made on the cheap way, I can't make Ferrary out of it, or to make will take a lot of sources and it doesn't worth it. The best overall perfomance much easier to get from the engine which is already , initaly been designed and built right. I can bring couple samples, which I personaly faced during the modifications ( I am sure not only me, a lot of different people too) which makes modification on sertain brands worthless.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Guys,
how exactly is everybody determining when to change a conrod, other than if it has a ton of play in the bushing?

Thx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.