Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Wars Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The project is doing well. It's about time to get down on it. I have to thank David and Ken at RD this would not have happened without their enthusiasm and desire to do this thing.

TG thanks for the email a while back. Sorry it was not feasable for me to do multiple projects at once. I think you will do fine.

Congrats to Steve for getting his engine launched.

to the readers of RC Tech forums, thanks for your support over the years. It is appreciated more than you know. It is what makes it all worth it.

Dennis Richey
Old 09-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

powder backing technology
TG are you referring to powdered metal technology. I assume you are as that is the only way to get the silicon content way up. If so you will find that it is a common technology in the eastern USA. Alumunium Powedered metal parts can be had form many suppliers back east. I know the advantages of SI content but you get to the point where the alloy becomes to brittle and bang.

An alloy you might find interesting is Duralcan from Alcoa
Old 09-12-2003, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Motorman
TG are you referring to powdered metal technology. I assume you are as that is the only way to get the silicon content way up. If so you will find that it is a common technology in the eastern USA. Alumunium Powedered metal parts can be had form many suppliers back east. I know the advantages of SI content but you get to the point where the alloy becomes to brittle and bang.

An alloy you might find interesting is Duralcan from Alcoa
I will check this Duralcan, thanks for advice. About powder backing alloy, it was brittle and bang, but now there was developed way to fix this problem too, now it is even stronger then was before.
As I mentinoed before, I will have it in my hands hoppefuly by mid of November (P/S sets) will let know how it looks now. According to properties just perfect.
I was looking this technology last 6 month and so far didn't find anyhting, but will check it again.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Dennice. I found Durlacan, it is just mixing technology wich make casting process easier, but still casting, not powdered backing, and Si content still low.
No, I will stay with mine.
Any way thanks a lot for directing to intersting technology. Will check it more carefully.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

just curious is this "powder backing" and "powder metal technology" the same as powder metallurgy?
Old 09-12-2003, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by fastharry
hey stafan..did you catch that link I put up to the castor oil?..
No sorry, didn't see that. Could you probably post it again.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by stefan
No sorry, didn't see that. Could you probably post it again.

Thanks

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXS627&P=7

The guy said that this was what he was using...
Old 09-12-2003, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by icon
just curious is this "powder backing" and "powder metal technology" the same as powder metallurgy?
I guess, if I have enough english I just translate from Russian to English (my bad). It is technology , when all components in powder mix togehter and under very high pressure baking it in special furnes. If this is what powder metalurgy is, so we are talking about the same thing.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Top Gun,I'm going to call you on Monday....
Hey Harry, sorry didn't see your post.
I will wait for your call.
You know the number.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
I guess, if I have enough english I just translate from Russian to English (my bad). It is technology , when all components in powder mix togehter and under very high pressure baking it in special furnes. If this is what powder metalurgy is, so we are talking about the same thing.
Serpent calls it micro casting
Old 09-12-2003, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXS627&P=7

The guy said that this was what he was using...
Thanks a bunch
Old 09-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by stefan
Serpent calls it micro casting
Well, it is not micro casting for sure.
BTW, their piston according to my record has highest Si content.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

TG

Duralcan is just another method of creating a MMX composite alumunium. There are many resources including SIC Ni Graphite combos. its all in how its mixed. Duralcan is a brand name for an MMX powderd alumunium alloy. MMX sintered alumunium alloy composite micro forgings are readily available here.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Motorman
TG

Duralcan is just another method of creating a MMX composite alumunium. There are many resources including SIC Ni Graphite combos. its all in how its mixed. Duralcan is a brand name for an MMX powderd alumunium alloy. MMX sintered alumunium alloy composite micro forgings are readily available here.
Yes you are absolutly right. I checked the properties and no one of alloys (which I found) meet my requirements.
Here is web site with little bit explanation, very intersting, but very old: http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM...ofor-9711.html
I have plenty of material which I need and I can have it produce tons of it.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

my brief education in manufacturing processes mentioned powdered metallurgy. it is similar to what you said. a component or part can be produced first by using the mixed powder to form the part via pressure molding. the finer the mixed powder, the less "space" between the particles. the piece initially is very brittle and breaks fairly easily. the part is then heated to reduce the space even further and also hardens the material.

i dont know how strong the resulting piece is compared to a machined part or cast part, but i do know the benefit is that the process has almost no waste or scrap (like machining).

our campus has a lot of the machines that manufacturers would use. it was pretty cool learning how this stuff works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.