Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 02:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by NitroLeadFinger
Wow, did the R40 magicly turn into a Serpent 710 for some guys? Ok - I couldn't resist.. After reading this I got the feeling these message boards are mostly dominated by "bench" racers, and not actual RC car drivers? Anywho, I hope others find some comedic value as I did..

Thanks again for the helpful answers

WOW! you must be a die hard hpi fan! actually its just an observation. only had 2 races under my fully hopped up ntc3 and i have never even opened my r40 and i'm already getting the serpent. anyway, that doesn't mean i'm not interested in the r40 anymore... hey i found your post didn't I? now come to think of it... i AM a bench racer!!! More power to the r40 drivers!!! i hope a lot of people can support this thread like nitroleadfinger so we can learn more how to squeeze every ounce of performance from the car... even for a newbie like me
Old 12-03-2003, 04:39 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

when is that stuff being released? cuz i dont like the look of the R40's stock diff
hopefully soon....It's on their japanese web site...

I hope these aluminum parts are not a trend toward making this car a hop up queen........Instead of (heavier)aluminum,I want to see things like lightweight parts for performance..the chassis is a good start,hopefully that gear diif uses lightweight gears,..things like that..
Old 12-03-2003, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

NitroLeadFinger,

I ended up setting my R40 up just like my MTX2 and MTX3. To me, since the car is so similar to the Mugens, I took a shot at it to see if it would work. I hit the mark. Between the 3 cars, I cannot really tell much difference in handling. If you had run other cars, use your best handling setup as a starter point and fine tune it from there.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by tranced
does anyone know of a place in the U.S. that is selling the HPI R40 CF Shocktowers?
Looks like the only place that has them in stock right now is buy from HPI. Tower should have then in stock pretty soon.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thanks for the tip jlock... Oddly I found that the 'derived setup' I measured was quite simular to the serpent 705 oddly enough, or I should say it was much closer to the 705 setup than what the setups HPI has listed on the website.. I will try and hunt down the MTX info and see what meshes.. I am not really trying to hit the perfect setup, just a baseline I can work from.. I most liekly will prescribe my own 'frankenstein' setup! thanks again!
Old 12-03-2003, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by NitroLeadFinger
Thanks for the tip jlock... Oddly I found that the 'derived setup' I measured was quite simular to the serpent 705 oddly enough, or I should say it was much closer to the 705 setup than what the setups HPI has listed on the website.. I will try and hunt down the MTX info and see what meshes.. I am not really trying to hit the perfect setup, just a baseline I can work from.. I most liekly will prescribe my own 'frankenstein' setup! thanks again!
No problem. I tried the HPI setup from the instructions and they were whack with my style of driving. So, I took a chance and experimented with my Mugen setup and it worked perfectly for me. Hope you find that setup that best suits you.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Tech Adept

I would like to know how you guys are getting the blank set-up sheet from the HPI web site. When I try, I get a error message saying I need some kind of a Japanese language conversion program. Anyone know what that is and where I can get it?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

I would like to know how you guys are getting the blank set-up sheet from the HPI web site. When I try, I get a error message saying I need some kind of a Japanese language conversion program. Anyone know what that is and where I can get it?
I had the same problem. Your pdf reader needs to be updated. You should get a message to check for updates when you open adobe. Just check for updates and it should find the one you need on its own. Download and Install. Thats all I did.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

I got the same thing... You don't really need them for the US website form.. but if you want them, just do a search on google.com for 'acrobat language pack japanese' and you should find it.. I had to download it to print out Haras setup sheet on the japanese HPI site.. It wouldn't display most of the page without it.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Language pack

http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...nfontpack.html

Hara's setup sheet (to test the font pack!)

www.hpiracing.co.jp/contents/ setup/pdf/ha030810roar.pdf
Old 12-04-2003, 01:16 AM
Tech Adept

Ok guys,
Thanks
Old 12-04-2003, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

OK..this is it..

HPI needs to ADDRESS the damn ISSUES with this car..

CHANGE THE FUCKING PLASTIC.

ADD A FUCKING SHOCK BLADDER

GIVE US CF TOWERS AS STANDARD (cast aluminum SUCKS....)

BEEF UP THE DRIVELINE COMPONENTS.. (rubber belts.. )
Old 12-04-2003, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

Hey can someone clarify something for me... Is it safe to assume that the "rebound stop" is the same as an up-stop, and the 'bump stop' is the same as a downstop? Just want to get the terminology down.. This whole stop thing in general is a bit new to me, so I have been a bit too fascinated with the dynamics.

For example (using the rear for example) when I set my rebound (when the suspension is full compress) I get about 7.5mm of daylight between the arm and the surface, with that the car has about 2mm of clearance between the chassis and ground, using a 57mm tire diameter. What seems puzzling is the HPI team drivers (going off their posted setup sheets) set the rebound stop at 3.5-4mm, which if I calculate correctly would mean the suspension would bottom out with about 6mm between the chassis and the ground. Yet they indicate ground clearance is 5mm rear, my math must be wrong, or I have my bump stops, rebound stops confused. I don't think it is physicly possible to setup the rear suspension with -1mm of travel!
Old 12-04-2003, 12:37 PM
Tech Regular

OK..this is it..

I DON'T WANT A SHOCK BLADDER, I'm more than happy with emulsion shocks. So I don;t even see that as being an issue. I have yet to have a problem with the plastic, and yeah I wish the car came with CF towers but it doesn't and I knew that before I bought the car so I'm not going to start crying about it now.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:11 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

OK..this is it..

Ummm........upset? I don't get it. Everything listed here is stuff you know about before you buy it........So, why buy it if this stuff was a problem???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.