HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Looks to me like all you need is a chassis, top deck and fuel tank to upgrade to the 2005/Hara if you already have a hopped up car.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Tech Addict

Here are some pics of my 2005 spec

I realy like the car i just wish they could have done something about the slop in the ball joints.

The car will be getting its first outing this weekend for our Hobby Direct / Racing Lines International, were HPI Team Driver Daisuke Yoshioka will be coming and hopefully i can grab some tips of him.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Awesome man. Does it have a different gear ratio than the stock LW .08 2speed?
Old 01-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Awesome man. Does it have a different gear ratio than the stock LW .08 2speed?
Thankyou .Nope same as the 2004 edt
Old 01-09-2006, 04:16 AM
Tech Elite

Some pics of my two machines. The 2005 built really nice, except I stripped out the two screws that hold the two speed shoes together. It seems the shoes are really hard, and the screws are very shallow in the hex area. I need to get some new ones, I will pre-tap the shoes I think with a 2.6mm screw.
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-dsc_0170.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-dsc_0171.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-dsc_0172.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-dsc_0174.jpg  
Old 01-09-2006, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Brett.w
Thankyou .Nope same as the 2004 edt
I swore I saw 59T spur on one of your pics. The stock LW .8 I got has 60T on first. Are the pinions 22/29?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Couple of pages ago no one had one , now there are tons. LOL.

I see you have aluminum front roll , what company is that AMG? I have the gpm's but havent used them yet.

Also the upper deck on the 05 looks quite different than the 04. Cant wait to hear your guys responses.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Funny, I was thinking just the opposite about the top deck. Yes there are differences, but I looks like the only real thing that changes is that the opening for the fuel tank goes forward a bit more for the new tank, and some material is removed where the steering servo used to be mounted. Everything else looks the same. I could be way off base though since I'm only looking at the pictures. Could one of you with the 2005 deck lay it on top of one of the older ones to compare. I'd be interested to see how close it really is.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default r40 engine...

What type of engine shaft does the r40 require (sg??)? Will the os .12 tz work in this car?
Old 01-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MikeyG
What type of engine shaft does the r40 require (sg??)? Will the os .12 tz work in this car?
Yes it will fit either of the two types sg or standard and if you look up the page a bit there is a 12TZ in Brett's car
Old 01-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Couple of pages ago no one had one , now there are tons. LOL.

I see you have aluminum front roll , what company is that AMG? I have the gpm's but havent used them yet.

Also the upper deck on the 05 looks quite different than the 04. Cant wait to hear your guys responses.
My front roll holders are from FiveStar. I got them because the track I was running at was ultra high speed and I was suffering from the old mid corner understeer due to the flexing of the holders (we enter the sweepers at 50 mph and hold 1/4 throttle through it). It fixed that problem right up, but it also makes the front end ultra responsive perhaps a little too much.

The 05 top deck is quite different. Mine is actually quite poorly machined and i needed to clean it up quite a lot which is unusual for HPI. I did an analysis of the electronic placement compared to the MTX4. The 2005 actually seems to be better with more centralised weight of the items, and lower CG. The only negative is the battery gets moved towards the pipe quite a lot, not a great thing in my book. The tank is definately much lower CG, probably half the total tank volume now resides below the top deck.

The rear arms are the better mould with the alternative swaybar mounting points and the better droop screw placement.

The instructions are incredibly badly written with a regular R40 manual and an addendum sheet for the 2005 parts. But it is incomplete and out of order. I hate companies that are too lazy to update the manuals.

Also I have built 4 0.8 module gearboxes and this was the first one where the screws stripped out on me, both did it in fact. I dont know whether the shoes are harder or what but I HIGHLY recommend tapping the shoes with a 2.6mm machine screw before assembly.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
Funny, I was thinking just the opposite about the top deck. Yes there are differences, but I looks like the only real thing that changes is that the opening for the fuel tank goes forward a bit more for the new tank, and some material is removed where the steering servo used to be mounted. Everything else looks the same. I could be way off base though since I'm only looking at the pictures. Could one of you with the 2005 deck lay it on top of one of the older ones to compare. I'd be interested to see how close it really is.
It is actually very close in terms of placement of the tank, throttle servo etc. It is only really the components themselves that have been moved around in terms of the steer servo, battery and receiver.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Tech Addict

i just brought the sage racing chassie was this a good pruchase. plus all 3 racing parts i can find. i know you guys like hpi hop ups but i cant afford them and i like the quality of product i have used 3 racing on my tc4 and very pleased. so i have sum new pics i brought everything i could find
these --HPI R-40 GRAPHITE REAR BRACE LEFT HAND NEW 3RACING,HPI R-40
GRAPHITE RECEIVER BATTERY PLATE NEW 3RACING,HPI R-40 ALU FRONT UPPER SUSPENSION
MOUNT NEW3RACING,HPI R-40 GRAPHITE FRONT SHOCK TOWER NEW 3RACING,HPI R-40
ALUMINIUM FRONT DIFF HOUSING 36T NEW 3RACING,HPI R-40 ALUMINIUM ENGINE MOUNT
NEW 3RACING,HPI R-40 ALUMINIUM RADIO TRAY CENTER MOUNT NEW 3RACING,HPI R-40
GRAPHITE REAR SHOCT TOWER NEW 3RACING,HPI R-40 ALUMINIUM REAR BRACE RH NEW
3RACING,HPI R-40 HANDLE ROLL BAR NEW 3RACING,HPI R-40 FRONT ANTI ROLL BAR
NEW 3RACING
hope all this makes it worth while. and just then the sage racing chassis.
now i got to get light weight 2 speed.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:53 AM
Tech Elite

Got all my radio gear and motor in now. Car weighs 1770g bone stock which is a pretty good improvement over the old car. A few lightweight doodads and it will be down near perfect weight. I am not totally happy with how I have my receiver mounted yet, need to play a little more.

Car built very nicely except for the 2 speed, should get the replacement screws tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bummy
i just brought the sage racing chassie was this a good pruchase. plus all 3 racing parts i can find. i know you guys like hpi hop ups but i cant afford them and i like the quality of product i have used 3 racing on my tc4 and very pleased. so i have sum new pics i brought everything i could find
these --HPI R-40 GRAPHITE REAR BRACE LEFT HAND NEW 3RACING,HPI R-40
GRAPHITE RECEIVER BATTERY PLATE NEW 3RACING,HPI R-40 ALU FRONT UPPER SUSPENSION
MOUNT NEW3RACING,HPI R-40 GRAPHITE FRONT SHOCK TOWER NEW 3RACING,HPI R-40
ALUMINIUM FRONT DIFF HOUSING 36T NEW 3RACING,HPI R-40 ALUMINIUM ENGINE MOUNT
NEW 3RACING,HPI R-40 ALUMINIUM RADIO TRAY CENTER MOUNT NEW 3RACING,HPI R-40
GRAPHITE REAR SHOCT TOWER NEW 3RACING,HPI R-40 ALUMINIUM REAR BRACE RH NEW
3RACING,HPI R-40 HANDLE ROLL BAR NEW 3RACING,HPI R-40 FRONT ANTI ROLL BAR
NEW 3RACING
hope all this makes it worth while. and just then the sage racing chassis.
now i got to get light weight 2 speed.
How much does that chassis weigh? Think you could get it on a scale and post it here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.