Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 09:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Looks fast but is it?? How much do they go for also?

I might pick one up just to try it
Old 08-05-2003, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

no updates on teh car?....Whos got one?..
Old 08-05-2003, 06:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yeah, I'm anxious to hear some responses about the car. Hopefully after this weekend (or sooner) we can have some reports.

Better hold off on that mtx-3
Old 08-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

yea, i need to know how the car does on rubber and parking lots
Old 08-05-2003, 08:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by rodneybarrett
Can someone tell me what the highest gear ratio is you can put on this car? I am looking for something around the 7.25-7.50 range for 1st gear.

We race on very small tracks for nitro cars.
The stock gearing on the car comes with 16T/19T pinions and 48T/45T spurs. That will give you final drive ratios of 7.26 for the 1st gear and 5.73 for the 2nd gear.

If you want higher 1st gear final drive ratio, you can opt for their 15T pinion and 49T spur. That'll make their highest final drive ratio to be 7.91.

Well, I don't know if it'll be the same effect as the stock 7.42 1st gear final drive ratio gearing on the MTX-3 because the MTX-3 is a pretty light car whereas the R40 is touted to be heavy... Something to consider.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:14 PM
Tech Regular

Default heavy

I just bought the car today and I was real suprised to feel just how heavy the box was. I'm curious to feel how heavy it is with the engine and radio gear installed.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:19 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: heavy

Originally posted by jbackslash
I just bought the car today and I was real suprised to feel just how heavy the box was. I'm curious to feel how heavy it is with the engine and radio gear installed.
Let us know how it goes... BTW, the silver box (same size as the Micro RS4 box) is cool though. One of the better packagings
Old 08-06-2003, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

Default building the r40

I just finished building the rear end of the car. It took me about 3 1/2 hours. I think there are more parts on the r40's rear pod than my Veteq's rear pod. Although the R40 is designed a lot better than the Veteq when it comes to easy maintenance.

I made a stupid mistake because I was being anal about cutting off the flashing nicely. What I thought was flashing was really a nipple that fits into notches that adjusts rear belt tension. I figured there aren't any spare parts out yet so I ended up setting the belt tension to what I wanted and used CA to keep the part from moving.

The two speed shaft and the rear differential are really heavy. It's a lot of rotating mass. I'll see how it performs once its built.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: building the r40

I think there are more parts on the r40's rear pod than my Veteq's rear pod. Although the R40 is designed a lot better than the Veteq when it comes to easy maintenance.
Hopefully, one would not have to buy 2 R40's just for the Rear Pod like the Veteq's. Keep up your good work and keep us informed of how it goes.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to take a snap shot of your progress?

gosh, I miss my HPI...
Old 08-06-2003, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: building the r40

Originally posted by eddiethefish
Hopefully, one would not have to buy 2 R40's just for the Rear Pod like the Veteq's. Keep up your good work and keep us informed of how it goes.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to take a snap shot of your progress?

gosh, I miss my HPI...
I'll try and get some pictures posted tomorrow. I don't know where the wife put the camera.

Once its built it looks like it will be easy to maintain like changing out a rear belt or switching from a gear diff to a solid axle(hopefully an option part that will come out soon).

Instead of halving a right and left bulk head, the r40 has a bottom and top bulkhead.
To change a rear belt it looks like all you need to do is pop off the camber links and shocks then 8 screws to remove the top bulk head. The middle layshaft and differential slide up, so all you have to do is place a new belt around the pullies and slide them back into the bottom bulkhead.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: building the r40

I'll try and get some pictures posted tomorrow. I don't know where the wife put the camera.

Once its built it looks like it will be easy to maintain like changing out a rear belt or switching from a gear diff to a solid axle(hopefully an option part that will come out soon).

Instead of halving a right and left bulk head, the r40 has a bottom and top bulkhead.
To change a rear belt it looks like all you need to do is pop off the camber links and shocks then 8 screws to remove the top bulk head. The middle layshaft and differential slide up, so all you have to do is place a new belt around the pullies and slide them back into the bottom bulkhead.
I'm glad HPI did take the meaning of "racing" in consideration. As we all know and see, there are many cars out there that just don't work out for racing. It simply is not practical.

Well, look forward to seeing the progress and hearing from you.

best,
Old 08-06-2003, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just picked up mine today...

I reallt like the way the parts look..everything looks real beefy..and the plastic is great..no complaints here..

Its got a german one way bearing in the 2 sp(and they are expensive),the diff gears are twice the size of the racer2's....

this car looks sweet...I will start on it tommorow,and keep you all posted..

oh yeah....I love the tank..and the pillow balls are thick,also..

Last edited by fastharry™; 08-06-2003 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

ok whats the price
Old 08-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Fastharry plz post some pics while building it. Thanks! BTW see ya at the NJ HPI Challenge!!!
Old 08-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by fastharry
Its got a german one way bearing in the 2 sp(and they are expensive),the diff gears are twice the size of the racer2's....
Most one way bearings (either from the 2 speed hub or the one way front diff) will come from Germany Manufactured by INA. They are one of the most reputable companies when it comes to one way bearings. I've not seen other makes of one way bearings except that on the Tamiya cars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.