Old 08-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally posted by Darkseid
20 Smoke: thanks for the info.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Tech Lord

Hey ROOKIE where did you get the two c/f peices for the shocks on the lower arms i have them on my new car i bought and wan't them for my first one
Old 08-02-2004, 05:13 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've been thinking of picking up that lightweight 2-speed, but those raitos are really low. Really, REALLY, low. They have highspeed track written all over them. I would definitely have to raise those up. My local track is really well suited to the kits standard ratios.

One question though....

Does the R40 retain the ability to run any combination of 1st and 2nd gear ratios with the new .8 module gears?

For example: to get the car close to the original ratios while using the new 2-speed, I would have to go to 20/25 on the pinions instead of the supplied 22/29. Thats going from a difference of 7 teeth on the supplied gears to a difference of 5 teeth on what I would want to use.

Would that cause any problems?
Old 08-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

I've been thinking of picking up that lightweight 2-speed, but those raitos are really low. Really, REALLY, low. They have highspeed track written all over them. I would definitely have to raise those up. My local track is really well suited to the kits standard ratios.

One question though....

Does the R40 retain the ability to run any combination of 1st and 2nd gear ratios with the new .8 module gears?

For example: to get the car close to the original ratios while using the new 2-speed, I would have to go to 20/25 on the pinions instead of the supplied 22/29. Thats going from a difference of 7 teeth on the supplied gears to a difference of 5 teeth on what I would want to use.

I thought the same. Once you run it your fears go away trust me. On a very tight track we have 20/25 works really well. (You dont even get into 2nd gear almost)
Old 08-02-2004, 05:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I can garantee you that I saw AMG or FastHarry (not 100% who's actually) said that before, but if you have time to look back like 20-30 pages ago.......I remembered someone mentioned the exact same thing...the 0.8 mod ended up with a much much lower gear ratio compare to the 1.0....HOWEVER that person said that, that is only numbers on the paper...when he actually dropped the car on the track, SOMEHOW, the car is much faster and more responsive then the 1.0....

Again, numbers are always numbers......it does not necessary reflect to the ACTUAL PERFROMANCE on the road....I am sure that person (I believed that was his statment) can add his opinion on this...

P.S.....I finally got the R40 put together and ran it like a RACE CAR........and NOW, I am a true believer that R40 can ran as good as NTC3, S710 and MTX3 (at least PAR to these big boys).........really really NICE, and talking about my R40 is still 1940 gram with body and fuel....does not have 0.8 and all other JENNY CRAIG options....

Last edited by Rookie Solara; 08-02-2004 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by AMGRacer
On a very tight track we have 20/25 works really well. (You dont even get into 2nd gear almost)
Knowing that someone has already tried the 20/25 combo and that the mesh works fine, is good enough for me.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
and NOW, I am a true believer that R40 can ran as good as NTC3, S710 and MTX3 (at least PAR to these big boys)......
What took you so long?.........j/k

I've already gotten myself a win and plenty of top three's with mine. I just now started adding the lightweight stuff because I really like the way the 2004 spec looks with all that stuff on it! I know, not the greatest reason to add hop ups, but hell, I figure my reason is just as good as any.

And I figure as a secondary effect, this stuff will lighten up my car as well.

Theres no big hurry to add all the hop ups, just add them when your ready. I finally decided I was ready so...
Old 08-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

What took you so long?.........j/k

I've already gotten myself a win and plenty of top three's with mine. I just now started adding the lightweight stuff because I really like the way the 2004 spec looks with all that stuff on it! I know, not the greatest reason to add hop ups, but hell, I figure my reason is just as good as any.

And I figure as a secondary effect, this stuff will lighten up my car as well.

Theres no big hurry to add all the hop ups, just add them when your ready. I finally decided I was ready so...

Yeah, tell me about it...with a 7 months old baby, R40 really need to take a 2nd seat or even 3rd seat....
At our local track, racing against those Serpent and AE sponcered drivers, I just have to use the easiest car....but after 8 weeks of rubbing of the R40...i think this weekend I can used that car to hit the A-Main......
I felt very bad about the last 8 weeks of racing because I have seen about 8 R40 at our track but none of those are having a good set up that can get to the B main, none of those ppl know how to setup the car and already thinking the R40 is typical HPI and it is a horrible car....
But I think this weekend I can show them R40 can be a A=main car, and I knew ppl like AMG, Darkseid and Fastharry (and others) are already at the A-main for quite a while.....but here, R40 is still the same class as OFNA or typ HPI....never a car like NTC3 or S710....

They still thinking why would I drive a R40....? They thought I am thinking my NTC3 is way too fast now I need a SLOW car to prove that I can drive......
Old 08-02-2004, 10:11 PM

FYI an R40 won the last MWS race and I was runnin 4th and moving up when I stripped the 2nd gear spur b/c I had the gear mesh a little loose. I guess you can't quite run ANY ratio. Oh well.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by OB42TC3
FYI an R40 won the last MWS race and I was runnin 4th and moving up when I stripped the 2nd gear spur b/c I had the gear mesh a little loose. I guess you can't quite run ANY ratio. Oh well.
I knew Hammer is a PROCEED racer, but never realized that he ran R40 as well (always thought he was running NTC3)....I always got him mixed with Ira or Eli....

About your 2nd gear mesh.............here is a little trick I've tought by some Serpent guy since the first day I ran the centax/2-speed....you have to remove the 1st gear SPUR and mesh the 2nd gear spur/pinion first...once the mesh is right, put the 1st spur back on....if your mesh on 2nd gear is right, the 1st gear should be the same as well......

Understand this....R40 (and all others belt drive car with the same mount design) can mount the engine is ANGLE....it is a good thing and bad thing....so, keep in eye and make sure the enigne is allign with the spurs.....

Not to mention, that is critical when you are meshing the 0.8 module.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by 20 SMOKE
Hey ROOKIE where did you get the two c/f peices for the shocks on the lower arms i have them on my new car i bought and wan't them for my first one
Because the mounting position of the rear shock towers from HPI is different (Higher and lower) thats why HPI has to create 2 CF pieces at the lower arm to raise the mounting points for the rear shocks...

However, I am sure you cannot buy JUST the lower pieces from HPI....they came with the rear CF shock towers....but I think you can cut 2 pieces from some CF sheet and mount it...not that hard to cut 2 little pieces like that.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

Any one using short shaft engine on R40?

I have Sirio EvoII short shaft and I feell like centex clutch is not working right.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Tech Lord

Because the mounting position of the rear shock towers from HPI is different (Higher and lower) thats why HPI has to create 2 CF pieces at the lower arm to raise the mounting points for the rear shocks...

However, I am sure you cannot buy JUST the lower pieces from HPI....they came with the rear CF shock towers....but I think you can cut 2 pieces from some CF sheet and mount it...not that hard to cut 2 little pieces like that.
I haven't bought a rear set yet your car was the first i saw with it other than my 2'nd car that i got used with every thing on it
Old 08-03-2004, 03:24 PM
Regional Moderator

However, I am sure you cannot buy JUST the lower pieces from HPI....
Hey, you never know! I would call them and ask if there is any way to get just the plates. This is the company that sent me out a full set of replacement shock caps for my Pro 4 for free and is currently replacing the diff gears for the Pro 4 for free to anyone who will give them a call.

I had no idea that HPI's customer service was so good. So I would say he should give them a call and see if theres anything they can do.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Tech Lord

Hey, you never know! I would call them and ask if there is any way to get just the plates. This is the company that sent me out a full set of replacement shock caps for my Pro 4 for free and is currently replacing the diff gears for the Pro 4 for free to anyone who will give them a call.

I had no idea that HPI's customer service was so good. So I would say he should give them a call and see if theres anything they can do.
Thats how I got my two spd for $40 had a problem with my car when i got. as for the the plates i don't have the shock towers on one so that it does come with the towers i' will buy it but a good thought on trying to get theme

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.