HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 12:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

I do understand where you are coming from when claiming a difference between the kit levels. I just think the terms beginner and pro are probably not the best to use when categorizing them.

Most people associate beginner products with easy assemble, low cost, and not competitive. While Pro sounds more like a state of the art piece of machinery that is too involved for first time buyers.

I would not classify the r40 as a beginner kit since it has pivot ball suspension, requiring setup tools to properly align. It is also not simple for just anyone to understand the affect changing toe and camber settings will have on handling. The old RS4 had hinge pin uprights that eliminated many of the variables of newer kits in what I would call the Pro group.

Multi link rear suspension has come and gone in the offroad world, and it would not surprise me to see the 710 evolve away from it a few years down the road. The simple truth is they will need to make the kits easier to get a good setup on to help the majority of their buyers to do better come race day. Kits that are fast with an easy to setup chassis will always have more success than a more advanced kit that is hard to get right. Even if that kit has a higher potential for faster laps.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by burger

I do understand where you are coming from when claiming a difference between the kit levels. I just think the terms beginner and pro are probably not the best to use when categorizing them.

Most people associate beginner products with easy assemble, low cost, and not competitive. While Pro sounds more like a state of the art piece of machinery that is too involved for first time buyers.

I would not classify the r40 as a beginner kit since it has pivot ball suspension, requiring setup tools to properly align. It is also not simple for just anyone to understand the affect changing toe and camber settings will have on handling. The old RS4 had hinge pin uprights that eliminated many of the variables of newer kits in what I would call the Pro group.

Multi link rear suspension has come and gone in the offroad world, and it would not surprise me to see the 710 evolve away from it a few years down the road. The simple truth is they will need to make the kits easier to get a good setup on to help the majority of their buyers to do better come race day. Kits that are fast with an easy to setup chassis will always have more success than a more advanced kit that is hard to get right. Even if that kit has a higher potential for faster laps.

Just my 2 cents.
That I have to agree 100%...I should not use words like PRO or BEGINNER to evaluate R40, that is just not fair to R40 nor the mfr. I still think R40 can be a good beginner car is because the manual does give the standard setup of the car without using setup board....ppl like us using setup board because we are beyond the beginner level, we have to step up to the RACE level (again, PRO here should be use)......like NTC3, it is a good beginner car, but also, with the stock setup, and good driving, NTC3 is untouchable (if you didn't hit anything.)
Old 03-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

It's amazing that you would think that there is no prior experience required to get the R40 to run well. Well, actually I don't really know what to say to that. The car runs good out of the box. Does that mean it's not a Pro level car? To me, it just means the box stock setup is either reallly good or the car is very good or both. I mean seriously, I have friends that have no racing experience but are intelligent enough to assemble a Mugen, Kyosho or Serpent to exact box stock specifications. Total newbies! Theoretically, those cars will run good at the track. But they are Pro cars and the R40 is not? I just don't see the logic.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
My term PRO = need extra experience/effort to understand, tune and handle......so Serpent is definitely PRO, so does Mugen or Trinity...etc (PRO does not mean BETTER)
I got you...
Old 03-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: First runs...

Originally posted by The Sleeper
I had the same problem but only with the kit tires. Other tires I use; TRC and Fast Tires; didn't jam up
If you measure the rim of the HPI tire they are 1-2mm smaller (ie. more foam packed on the rim) than most other brands. Hence closer tolerances.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by rod_b
It's amazing that you would think that there is no prior experience required to get the R40 to run well. Well, actually I don't really know what to say to that. The car runs good out of the box. Does that mean it's not a Pro level car? To me, it just means the box stock setup is either reallly good or the car is very good or both. I mean seriously, I have friends that have no racing experience but are intelligent enough to assemble a Mugen, Kyosho or Serpent to exact box stock specifications. Total newbies! Theoretically, those cars will run good at the track. But they are Pro cars and the R40 is not? I just don't see the logic.
Rob....I am definitely sure it is my bad broken english writing...but one last time, if the true meaning of PRO for you is defined as a "GOOD and OUTSTANDING".....then yes, R40 is a PRO car.

And like you said....some ppl are intelligent enough to run the SERPENT at the first time without even asking question.....again, that is just a small amount of ppl........

If I am to say....between R40 and S710...I am sure there are more ppl asking questions for S710 (including setting, tunning and the construction phase....etc) more then the R40....

Again, not that the S710 is not a good car, just compare to R40, it is a little more difficult car to understand...........and thats bring the R40 are more BEGINNER friendly then others....

I think I have enough explaination about this topic....move back on the R40 question (and if I offended someone abou this issue, again, my apology to everyone here...)
Old 03-19-2004, 07:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Could you please explain it just one more time? Please?
Old 03-19-2004, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

If I am to say....between R40 and S710...I am sure there are more ppl asking questions for S710 (including setting, tunning and the construction phase....etc) more then the R40....
Couldnt resist to say something about this they dont ask because you guys and HPI dont answer. I call it support.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:29 PM
Regional Moderator

Question about the graphite front tower

I just switched to the graphite front tower. I like the handling of the stock shock position on the original tower, so which hole should I use when mounting the shocks on the new tower to get the same performance?

Right now, on the graphite shock tower, I have the shocks mounted in the hole that the included sheet said to mount them. Is this the best place? Or is there a better starting point?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2004, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Question about the graphite front tower

Originally posted by Darkseid
I just switched to the graphite front tower. I like the handling of the stock shock position on the original tower, so which hole should I use when mounting the shocks on the new tower to get the same performance?

Right now, on the graphite shock tower, I have the shocks mounted in the hole that the included sheet said to mount them. Is this the best place? Or is there a better starting point?

Thanks
I have both front and rear towers installed and I am using the stock positions as the included instructions advise. Works very nicely. Unfortunately it is not possible to compare the front and rear geometry between the alloy tower and graphite towers as the holes just do not correlate. Hara obviously felt that the graphite towers had better positions for him.

However do not despair as both Kawahara and 3 racing have graphite towers which do replicate the stock positions and actually add further holes as well. Get those towers and you will be set.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Regional Moderator

Default Re: Re: Question about the graphite front tower

Originally posted by AMGRacer
However do not despair as both Kawahara and 3 racing have graphite towers which do replicate the stock positions and actually add further holes as well. Get those towers and you will be set.
Oh, its not that serious! I like the new front tower alot. Especially how low it is. I was just wondering if you guys had found anything better than what the included sheet reccomends. Since you say its good as is, I'll stick with it till I get to run the car with the new tower.

I may have to try one of the rear towers from Kawahara or 3Racing. Not because I think they'll be better than HPI's, but because the darned things are easier to find. HPI's rear tower is harder to find than quality customer service!

Seriously though, is there a place to find either the HPI, Kawahara, or 3Racing rear tower hear in the states?
Old 03-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Re: Question about the graphite front tower

Originally posted by Darkseid
Seriously though, is there a place to find either the HPI, Kawahara, or 3Racing rear tower hear in the states?
eBay

I've seen lots of 3Racing stuff there. Do a HPI R40 search and you should see lots of 3Racing items for the R40.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:42 AM
Tech Adept

You might need to scratch my last post.

I just checked eBay and nothing from 3Racing

But I swear, a few days ago there was several 3Racing items on eBay.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:00 AM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I believe those items were from the seller Dinball.

I have seen them too. I would suggest waiting for a few days. They should be back
Old 03-20-2004, 06:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default get back to the issue!

I could not agree with Rodrigo more, there is way toooooooo much bickering about the superior car, how much things cost, how much things weigh, and so on. We need the input from all of you to make this a stronger car, adn also the support from HPI as a company for updates and parts support also. So lets get with it!

Darkseid, my LHS has the towers you are looking for along with ALL of the other 3 racing parts., Ace's Nitro Hobbies @ 203-330-1788, I also have both 3 Racing towers on my car, along with many other 3 racing parts. If you are interested in these call him and we can arrange something. Let me know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.