Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was just quoted $260 from my LHS. Are there two different versions of this kit or just one?
Old 08-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

Performula,

I see you are in Orlando. Which shop has them for $260.

Thanks, Dave.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

yeah which hobby store in orlando said 260? Im gonna be getting one soon and i would like to get it locally
Old 08-21-2003, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

Colonial Photo and Hobby.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

I wouldn't doubt that the price will go up. They have one in stock and they usually have high prices compared to the Net, of course. When they told me the price I was about to drive up to pick it up, but it sounded fishy. Their prices are usually on par with Tower.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

yeah thats what i fiqured, ill give them a call when im ready to buy just to check, i called superior and they are selling them for 294 i beleive. I am yet to call any of the other places around town.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by The Sleeper
On the R40, the hinge pins for the front lower A-arms are held in place by rubber grommets. I was suprised to see this since I never seen it before ( the NTC3 is the only real car I've ever had).
I think I read that HPI put these rubber inserts in to act as dampers in the event of a collision...

So, how does everyone like their R40 so far? I'm still running my NTC3 but would like to have an alternative (read "second car"). I was leaning towards the MTX3, parts are easily available around here (but so are HPI parts). How is the quality of the plastic, same as Mugen/Serpent/etc? Everytime I look at the R40 I can't help but think of that rubber-band plastic that was on my old RS4 and Super Nitro...
Old 08-22-2003, 12:40 AM
Tech Adept

Old Skool,

I haven't drove my R40 yet but this is what I can tell you about the car.

The plastic that HPI uses doesn't appear to be the rubber band type you referred to as the RS4 having (I have one of those too). It seems to be more rigid and thicker.

There are a couple of things I like so far about the R40. One is being the hinge pins mounted in rubber. I think the rubber will give some and help prevent the pins from bending in a crash.

Second is how the dog bones and axles are connected (remember I have had only the RS4 and NTC3). On my other cars, the pin that connect the dog bone to the axle was held in place by a set screw. On the R40, this pin is kept in place by the inner hub bearing. The bearing covers the hole the pin slides thru and thus not allowing it to come out. I don't know if any other cars does this but I can tell you,,, there is no binding what so-ever between the dog bone and axle. The axle moves very freely around the bone. On my other cars, there were some binding, not much but some.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Rumor

A guy at our local track reports that the plastic for the HPI kits are being maufactured now by DELTA. Is there any truth to that? If so maybe thats why the plastic does look alot better then previous HPI kits.

Just Curious,
Thanks,
Old 08-22-2003, 09:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Compared to a V-One-R, which is what this car replaces, with setups which are similar getting into and out of turns and with the same tires, the R40 is carrying more speed through the turns.. rolling better. And that's with a front diff...

Just an initial impression..
Old 08-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

anyone have problems installing a Novarossi based motor or other into their R40??? I can't get the correct angle needed on the carb because the idle screw hits the motor case if I try and rotate it into the correct angle.

-Puma
Old 08-23-2003, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by tinman
Compared to a V-One-R, which is what this car replaces, with setups which are similar getting into and out of turns and with the same tires, the R40 is carrying more speed through the turns.. rolling better. And that's with a front diff...

Just an initial impression..
What length are you using? 255 or 260?
Old 08-24-2003, 02:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

anyone have problems installing a Novarossi based motor or other into their R40??? I can't get the correct angle needed on the carb because the idle screw hits the motor case if I try and rotate it into the correct angle.
I turned the carb touching the case.The slide carb sits pretty close to the tank but not touching though. You need to adjust for the ball cup direction. Mine have no clearance problem for the carb to slide after i made this adjustment. Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

something freaky happened today...
I slightly hit the wall, nothing breaks but the hub carrier just popped out. When i checked the shape still ok, nothing breaks or bent. now i lost the plastic washer that goes inside against the pivot balls. It's pretty weird that the hub just popped off the pivot ball like that, it seems like the pivot balls are not big enough to hold tight the hub carrier. But overall i like the car so much the plastic quality is really tough..nothing seems to wear out after it happened. Anyone experience the same thing?
Old 08-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by front1wayFreak
I turned the carb touching the case.The slide carb sits pretty close to the tank but not touching though. You need to adjust for the ball cup direction. Mine have no clearance problem for the carb to slide after i made this adjustment. Hope this helps.
Could you post a pic???

Thanks,
Puma

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.