Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 08:47 PM
NCC
Tech Adept

Default PTP/Anti-Tank

It wont be a bad idea to change the receiver pack and replace the stock chassis along with a few screws. That will save about 70grams. But make sure you do it all at once so at least you will know if the weight made a difference. Also, keep in mind a well tuned engine means nothing if the 2-speed and clutch isn't working together. I know you are a good driver and have some tuning experience. Finally, I prefer to go with a higer end engine like the NS12 that will allow you to use the 16tooth first gear which I think is necessary on our track for fast lap times. If all above fails then Practice! Practice! Practice!
Old 05-04-2004, 04:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default Screws

Originally posted by goldenboy
are they all counter sunk, or are they only counter sunk where they call for counter sunk??
The screws are designed exactly like the stock kit, meaning the are countersunk, and cap headed screws where neccessary.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Diff Oils

Has anybody tried different diff. oils in the front and rear diffs? What weight worked best?
Old 05-04-2004, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by PTP Racing
roar legal slightly modified mt-12 -OK
rdlogics turbo 2 outlaw pipe -cool
30% byrons fuel -OK
changed 1st gear to 15t and 1 tooth larger spur -track dep
2nd unchanged from kit -could go up most tracks
60mm tires 37 shore front and rear -OK
one-way -OK
weight w/fuel no body 1885g -?
thats my set-up it handles great just too slow
I think your engine may be a big part of it. You would need to get Mr. Richey or Uriah to work on that engine to make it competitive with the NS12S3s. There's probably a half dozen engines out there that are faster out of the box than the MT12. I am assuming your gearing is in the ballpark for your track, but you might want to gear up a little b/c the MT12's strong point is torque; in fact you could be lighting your tires up and not know it, do the rears wear much worse than the fronts? Try rolling the gas on and see if your laps get quicker, you may be jamming the gas on a little too hard trying to catch the leaders. BTW the ROAR weight limit is w/o fuel and with body. Also to get the best laps with the oneway you need to carry speed into the corner and get on the gas before the apex and let the front pull the car out; if your car pushes when driving like this you need to get the steering to do it.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:09 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey guys. Haven't been on the thread in quite a while. The R40 is still going fast. Just as fast as anything else out there. Just messing around with the engine and 2-speed to get them 'just right' for our track.

Other than that, not much else to report. After showing alot of initial wear, the side belt has stabilized and isn't getting any looser right now. Nothing broken and I'm still amazed at how easy clean up is on the car.

The kit set up seems perfect for me (as most kit setups do...go figure). The car has perfect balance of front and rear traction and doesn't push unless I over cook it into a corner.

Heres what I run:

Sirio .12 Roar legal w/Nova Rossi plug
Trinity one piece pipe set
Trinity 30% Platinum-(love this stuff)
All gears still stock-perfect for our track
Mugen Fasttires, 40shore front 37shore rear
Diffs front and rear
weight w/body and no fuel-1825

I was TQ this weekend, till the rain, wind, and hail came.(damn mid-west weather) Mostly I've been running with a Lola body, but I haven't noticed any difference when I slap on the Mazda 6.

Stuff is going great with the car right now, so no complaints.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:39 AM
BF
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just got mine in the mail tonight. This car was a HPI sponsored car which placed 8th at the .AU titles. It weighs in at 1750 with no receiver, steering servo or fuel (Batteries are on board). It has no hopups but it has a Pico .12RE turbo engine pugged in.

If these wankers would stop writing viruses for computers I might get a chance to set it up for me
Old 05-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by goldenboy
does anybody know anyone who makes a graphite transponder holder, and where i can find one. .... if not, does anybody know where you can buy a piece of grpahite so i can make one, it isnt so much for the lightness, but for the look
Here is a link for you. Penguin RC Graphite
Old 05-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Diff Oils

Originally posted by rkmori
Has anybody tried different diff. oils in the front and rear diffs? What weight worked best?
I was kinda wondering this to. What weights are you guys using?
Old 05-05-2004, 04:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Re: Re: Diff Oils

Originally posted by BallPy
I'm using Mugen #5000wt in the rear diff with a front one-way. Car turns in very nicely with exceptional on-power steering. However, I do want to try #10000wt.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BallPy
I was kinda wondering this to. What weights are you guys using? [/QUOTE

dif front 50,000 10 or 20,000 rear ,front oneway 50 rear,oneway 4 gear rear 30 or 40,000 try it
Old 05-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Tech Addict

I was going to try 30000 in the rear but it sounds like with the one-way that wont work to well. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:43 PM
Tech Adept

i am using mugen #3000, but i got the front one way over the weekend, so i will see how it runs.

ballPy. you race a olde towne??, i am the only other one with an r40 there so you might know who i am
Old 05-06-2004, 04:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default Change of heart

I am going to be selling my awesome R40, which is LOADED. Check out my 4 Sale post.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

whay are you selling it?..
Old 05-06-2004, 06:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by BallPy
According to the setup sheet.....you're supposed to use 30k with the front one way. I was using the same setup but using the 4 gear diff. The on power steering was a little bit too much as I had to baby the throttle. Instead I switched to 10k.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.