Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 04:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default Engine Removal

I too have experienced the hard to remove, or the hassle to remove the engine.
I remedied this by cutting away at the top plate with a nice STEADY hand and a dremel, removing the excess material from the rear of the top plate. When I take the engine out I also leave the engine mounts on the chassis, I unscrew the cap screws holding down the engine to the engine mounts. This gives all the clearance you need. Oh yeah, while I had the plate off, I made my own lightened race upper plate.(hehehe).

Darkseid,
I am glad to see that you had a good experience, but I agree with AMG, a oneway is definitely needed for the car. You will not go back to a diff ever once you use a one way. Trust us.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:09 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: First runs...

Originally posted by AMGRacer
Hehehehehehehe not bad huh
Yep, yep, yep......not bad not bad!

I come to doing either one of two things to get the engine out. Either take off the back brace and simple slide it straight back and out.....or remove the two spur gears and that gives enough wiggle room to pull it up and out the top.

Haven't figured out which is easier, or should I say which is less a pain in the azz...
Old 03-19-2004, 06:11 AM
Regional Moderator

Default Re: Re: First runs...

Originally posted by The Sleeper
I had the same problem but only with the kit tires. Other tires I use; TRC and Fast Tires; didn't jam up
Yeah the problem isn't nearly as bad with Fast tires. The internal diameter of the fast tires is bigger than HPI's wheels. I just prefered to do what I used to do with my old Corally TCs. Just sand (with rotary tool or file) flat spots onto the hubs to gain more clearance. That way, I can run any wheel without fear.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:15 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by nero1943
what you guys to setup your cars? Is there a better way than others? I use rpm camber guage. I normally use my eye to adjust the toe. But it looks quite diffcuilt with on road cars. HELP!!
NO EYE ADJUSTMENT ALLOWED!

These pivot ball cars are way too adjustable for the old 'eye' measurement. The best thing to have is a set of set up tools like the ones made buy Hudy, Integy, or Yokomo and a set board.

-but-

You can get by with just the clips that come with the car to set the suspension, your RPM guage, and a set of quality calipers! They don't have to be digital (although the price on these has come way down) but they do have to be quality metal calipers. Try Sears or AceHardware for a set.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by cHckbOY5
the r40 a good beginner car?
HPI R40 is a good beginner car (edited from previous comment)....

Last edited by Rookie Solara; 03-19-2004 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:41 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
It is HPI afterall.........you cannot be more beginner then HPI. However, the R40 is probably one of the few beginner chassis that can still race against the PRO chassis like Serpent, Trinity, Kyosho or Mugen.....you won't be wrong.

I was going to pass on this, but then I simply had to say something.

What exactly makes a car or company 'begginer'?

If company A make a car that looks and handles pretty much like company B's car. What makes one a 'begginer chassis' while the other is a 'PRO' chassis? The R40 carries all the same technology, features and handling of the other cars...so what makes it 'beginner'...the HPI brand? Ridiculous...

Great example, the new Pro4 looks damn near exactly like my YokSD. What makes my YokSD a 'pro' car, while the Pro4(like the R40) is still considered a 'begginer chassis'

Once a company makes entry level kits, are all their future kits automatically 'begginer' cars?

By that logic or should I say ill-logic, the fact that Traxxas used to make race quality and RACE WINNING off-road kits, every one of their future cars (like the 4tec or Rustler) is thusly a 'PRO' car!
Old 03-19-2004, 09:27 AM
Tech Addict

Who do we have to talk to at HPI to find out if they will be having the 04 Spec Edition? Nitro season is getting here fast.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Darkseid
[B...Once a company makes entry level kits, are all their future kits automatically 'begginer' cars?[/B]
If that's true, then Kyosho has been a beginner company for a while now. You gotta love those Kyosho Surfing RCs.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:46 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by rod_b
If that's true, then Kyosho has been a beginner company for a while now. You gotta love those Kyosho Surfing RCs.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:40 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Darkseid

I was going to pass on this, but then I simply had to say something.

What exactly makes a car or company 'begginer'?

If company A make a car that looks and handles pretty much like company B's car. What makes one a 'begginer chassis' while the other is a 'PRO' chassis? The R40 carries all the same technology, features and handling of the other cars...so what makes it 'beginner'...the HPI brand? Ridiculous...

Great example, the new Pro4 looks damn near exactly like my YokSD. What makes my YokSD a 'pro' car, while the Pro4(like the R40) is still considered a 'begginer chassis'

Once a company makes entry level kits, are all their future kits automatically 'begginer' cars?

By that logic or should I say ill-logic, the fact that Traxxas used to make race quality and RACE WINNING off-road kits, every one of their future cars (like the 4tec or Rustler) is thusly a 'PRO' car!
Then you have to answer this guy question............is R40 a beginner car? Yes or No....simple as that.

I am trying to answer this person's question, the reason he asked, probably is because he saw the R40 has so much settings and adjustabilities and can still compete with S710 or Mugen.....and wondering is R40 still as easy and as beginner friendly like the RS4 series....and thats why I said....it is HPI AFTERALL, I don't think they will create something that required 10 plus years of RC experience in order to handling the car (ie, S710 or any Serpent).........simple as that.

Before the R40....(especially in nitro only) HPI is definitely a beginner choice...except the Proceed. You don't have to tell ppl that.......HPI themselve tell the world that they are the beginner choice...and never intended to the PRO choice.....untill the R40.

Is HPI a company that is smart enough to do TOY RC CAR? Heck no....when HPI started, they made mod motor, and then all the elect goodies...........they are big enough to compete with Kyohso or YOKOMO since...

That is just my opinion.............not bashing HPI products whatsoever, if someone find it offended........my bad. And if ppl think HPI is top of the line mfr.....I can agree on some area.

Still no word on 2004 spec coming to USA...................

Last edited by Rookie Solara; 03-19-2004 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Regional Moderator

Actually, he asked is it a good beginner car? Which I took to mean he wanted to know if it was a good car for a beginner nitro guy to start with.

I didn't see him as asking was it a "begginer chassis". Or how this "beginner chassis" would stack up against real "PRO" cars. And if the term "beginner chassis" isn't meant to put down HPI, then why are the other company's cars "PRO" cars?

The only thing I could see that would set any of the top kits apart as being more or less begginer friendly would be how well the manual is put together and whether is any hand fitting required.

So, I guess to answer his question as I read it. Yes the R40 is a good car for beginning nitro people. The manual is solid and theres not handfitting required. But becasue its not a pain in the but to build certainly doesn't make it a "beginner chassis" while the other cars are "PRO".

The performance and the technology are the same, only the brand names are different.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

HPI does have "beginner" products but the R40 is not a beginner car. Generalizing HPI as a beginner company is just wrong.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

My term PRO = need extra experience/effort to understand, tune and handle......so Serpent is definitely PRO, so does Mugen or Trinity...etc (PRO does not mean BETTER)

My term BEGINNER = designed for newbie or completely NO experience on RC to understand, tune and handle.....so R40 is considered BEGINNER........(BEGINNER does not mean BAD)

If I am going to tell him to buy Serpent 950R instead.........and told him for my experience, that is a beginner car.....guess how many post will say I am crazy.

I never said HPI (the company itself) is a BEGINNER company (look at Proceed and PRO 4...I wish I have the money to get those bad boys...), I was meaning HPI nitro products are generally beginner friendly since their RS4 series to now, the R40... (again, others are not necessary beginner friendly ie SERPENT....)

And R40....is a good beginner car (yes, even a RC newbie as long as follow the standard setup can have a good run on that car).

Again, others like Serpent....after reading thru the 40 pages setup manual (setup only, not the construction manual).....still might not necessary better then the R40.........that is PRO level car, required PRO level experience to manage, not saying the car is BETTER then R40.....we just have the different opinion about these 2 words PRO and BEGINNER...thats all. Again, please don't think I am bashing HPI, this is my 2nd HPI products, and by far it is way better then my 1st HPI products Super Nitro RS4....(what a nightmare when it equipped with options...)
Old 03-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm just happy beginners like Hara are showing the pros how it's done.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by burger
I'm just happy beginners like Hara are showing the pros how it's done.
That........I have nothing to say back.......good one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.