220mm GPR Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

220mm GPR Class

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

No that was not me. I used some pinions and spur gears I found in my tool box ( think they were serpent ) it was not none of that special lightweight HPI .08 . Your friend loss because of a lack of traction he needed wider tires with more grip. But like I said the moment I put the wider rear tires on that was the end of my traction problems, I wish I had done it sooner. My R-40 eats .12 for breakfast at our track!!

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 02-19-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Please, no more new classes!!! If you can't drive the engine that you paid $500+ for, then, get a lesser engine or restrict the carb to cut the power. Like I stated earlier in this post, if you are going to do this, just bring back the 235mm class (which should have never been abandoned by ROAR anyway).
Old 02-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For the guys with the R40s that keep telling us that no matter what they do, they keep spinning out, how about change engines. The R40 was not really designed for the OS 18tz and that is a bit too much power for any applicable purposes other than r/c drag racing or bashing. You can change all the gears, diff oils, etc. that you want but you can't put that kind of HP to the ground unless you have extreme throttle control, which many nitro r/c racer outside of the professionals like Cyrul, Burch, Swauger, don't have.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
Please, no more new classes!!! If you can't drive the engine that you paid $500+ for, then, get a lesser engine or restrict the carb to cut the power. Like I stated earlier in this post, if you are going to do this, just bring back the 235mm class (which should have never been abandoned by ROAR anyway).
Consider this:

There are more sedans out there than 235mm cars. It would be easier and cheaper for them to convert those cars than to buy another chassis and spares.

Who makes a 235mm car these days.....Serpent? With only one manufacturer they could control the market...which might be a bad thing.

Are racers getting burned out by 1/10 sedans? It was hot a couple of years ago.....has the turnouts for many tracks gone down? It seems to have cooled off a little here in So. Cal

You have some good points about using an engine you can handle....but that applies in any class. I think the price of .12 engines....glow plugs..tires etc. have slowed down the growth of this class.....I might be wrong....if so chime in. Look at 1/10 electric touring...so many changes and many classes....are there too many classes? In nitro there are 2 classes...with IGT coming on strong......but give that time.....that class will get screwed up like many others.... and become another money pit(hope not)!!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JLock
For the guys with the R40s that keep telling us that no matter what they do, they keep spinning out, how about change engines. The R40 was not really designed for the OS 18tz and that is a bit too much power for any applicable purposes other than r/c drag racing or bashing. You can change all the gears, diff oils, etc. that you want but you can't put that kind of HP to the ground unless you have extreme throttle control, which many nitro r/c racer outside of the professionals like Cyrul, Burch, Swauger, don't have.
........................I guess you did'nt read the whole post I found the solution to my problem with my R-40 with the .18 TZ, wider foams tires it does not spinout so why the heck would I want to go back down to a .12 when I am beating them with my current setup???

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 02-20-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I think he is trying to say for you to get a .12 and try to beat them with that. My tracks no .18s are allowed, but we have guys with .12 TZs (stock that is) that are even in the A main so just goes to show it all depends on the drivers. If you track offers no challenge try to venture out a little for more action.

SRAD - NEO still makes their ATTACK 235mm car which is still a great car. CRC may still have their car or the STS available. Also, other companies will come out with their cars should this class grow. I mean on the hand look at it from this perspective: How many companies make 30mm and 40mm foams with the offsets to work on a variety of nitro sedans? You don't even need such a setup to get that much traction and can easily go with 28mm foams front and 35mm rear or 30 front and 35mm rear. It's been done in the past back when the HPI Racer 2 was considered to be one of the best cars to use at the track...and that was a LONGGGG time ago. Then again to remember who had control of the market as far high end tourers went to Mugen and Serpent with HPI tailing along. It was a few years later that GS Racing came out with their Vision pro kits. The NTC3 wasn't even around then and doubt the nitro kit conversion was available either. If the 235mm class comes back this will be an opportunity for RB to really work on some .15 big block engines, Novarossi to bring back their models as well ( you can still find some around dirt cheap), and other companies to make more.

Still with that being said if they really want to try something like this I think they should just make a different class or make a modification to the "Outlaw" class. Just have the cars with those foam setups, lola body, floating rear body mount (option), and use whatever diff setup they please.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

HarKonnenD they need to get an .18 tz and try to keep up with me. Yeah I bet those skinny touring car tires worked on the Hpi Racer 2!! That was along , long time ago and the .12 motors back then don't even begin to match the output of the .12 's of today. But I do like your idea for a Outlaw class.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

NEO quit making the Attack a long time ago. CRC might have some parts, but not many.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

You can get NEO parts through Megatech RC. NEO long ago was bought out by Megatech back when I was just learning the ropes of RC to make the Megatech NEO. The shop in Manhattan still sells them I believe as there are few guys at my track with them. Both 235mm and the 8th onroad.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:11 PM
Tech Master

I guess my point is I have been using extra wide foam tires on my 1/10 scale onroad cars for years on untreated parking lot surfaces and they made the car more controlable and handle better. So if you are running on a low traction surface you might want to give them a try. Especially if your 1/10 has a .21 or larger motor in it
Old 02-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Here is one of my 1/10 Outlaws V-1RRR with .18TZ

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 02-24-2008 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

and another R-40 TZ.18 with body on.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Rear view with 35mm wide Calandra Racing Concept tires.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

YESS! It was you I was refering you. That R40 still doesn't have the LW gears on there no wonder why you keep spinning out. Trust me use the R40 with the LW gear ratio and a lower gear option. The .18TZ makes much of its power down low so even in second gear it can still peel tires. There are other R40 owners with TZ than run the .8 gears with no issues and the same 26mm front/30mm rear trust me on this. Some guys that run in Whitestone br (my neck of the woods) run small block V15 Rody tuned .15s in sedans no problem. Like I said just have the owner of the track use a leaf blower to clean the track of debris and lay down additive. Then going to wider tires will be useless.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

So those wide foams are wider to the inside so to speak? So you can still keep the body width at or under 200mm?

Is Calandra the main supplier of extra wide rears or are there others? For the Calandras do you buy directly from them or through anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.