Wiki Posts
Search

Slim/Micro/Mini Servos in 1/10 Nitro Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default Slim/Micro/Mini Servos in 1/10 Nitro Sedan

Anyone have tried this??? Using a digital micro/slim/mini servo in your 1/10 sedan?? I have been thinking of this mainly because of: weight and $$$. How much torque is really required for a 1/10 scale??? I have been looking at the Futaba S9650 Digital Mini servo which futaba says it puts out 62.5 oz-in of torque and .11/sec for 60 degrees... Can anyone shed some light with their experiences or atleast thoughts of why it can or wont work??
Old 12-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Tech Lord

Futaba also has a low profile servo. Same mounting size as normal servo's only half the length.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

the ko propo is awsome i just got it and it is 118 dollars it is .10 seconds and that is plenty fast
Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Riketsu
Anyone have tried this??? Using a digital micro/slim/mini servo in your 1/10 sedan?? I have been thinking of this mainly because of: weight and $$$. How much torque is really required for a 1/10 scale??? I have been looking at the Futaba S9650 Digital Mini servo which futaba says it puts out 62.5 oz-in of torque and .11/sec for 60 degrees... Can anyone shed some light with their experiences or atleast thoughts of why it can or wont work??
Originally Posted by Roelof
Futaba also has a low profile servo. Same mounting size as normal servo's only half the length.
Roelof is right. The thing about using micro/mini servos is the mounting. The micro/mini servos are meant for smaller vehicles/planes/helicopters/etc. so the footprint is pretty small. You will end up 'fabricating' a mount to make it work which is probably not worth the hassle.

Futaba has a low profile servo the S9550. The mounting is the same as 'normal' servos like Roelof said, but about half the height and fraction of the weight. The S9550 is now discontinued and replaced by the newer S9551.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The S9551 is going to be the ticket. This servo at 6 volts is supposed to have over 130oz of torque, and is fast enough. It weighs 45 grams. As a comparison the Airtronics 94357 weighs 58.5 grams. At the price tower sells the futaba, it is going to be a winner. I have two on backorder right now.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Thanks guys for the input... I guess I didn't think about that, the mounting sizes and stuff... I'll definitely give the 9551s a try... Tower's prices are very good when it comes to futaba.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Tech Adept

Default Vibration???

Wouldn't that be an issue for these micro servos as they are primarily designed for electric?
Old 12-08-2007, 01:32 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by 1FastVW
Wouldn't that be an issue for these micro servos as they are primarily designed for electric?
Servo's aren't specially designed for a certain class, they just come in all kind of shapes and specifications so you can choose what ever you want. That certain classes are using 1 kind of mounting size must not stop you to try something else.
For an avarage modeller it should be no problem to fit a smaller servo in his model, only be sure the servo can handle it.