R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Serpent Powerstart can't start..!

has anyone successfully run this starter box??? my friend's starter seems not able to power up no matter how we try... we can get it to spin with a 12v car battery but not with 2 x 6 cells packs... as far as we know, ther's been 3 units which can't spin/rotate at all or not fast or strong enough even to start any engine... this piece of starter really annoying with it's very compact design n the cable/wire is chaos as it's almost impossible to get the batteries fit into the case n close them nicely... n ther's no protection betweem the starter wheel n the batteries wires... it's too compact that forces the wire housing to contact with the wheel easily... connection point isn't preperly sealed off factory too... has anyone has same problems outside of asia??? non seems work for me till now, which has been more than a month... all the known (by my friends n me) buyers having similiar problems...

http://www.serpent.com/product/140000/

any comments/idea s r welcome... thanks...
Attached Thumbnails
Serpent Powerstart can't start..!-imagecaln0mgq.jpg  
fly_wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:08 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

The serpent starter boxes that i have had never seem to work well, they will only work hooked up to a car battery or something of that sort and even then they dont have enough power
TheDon502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:26 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Replace the motors with 19 or 23 turns stock motors for electric racing and you will be suprised.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Unfortunately this box is a piece of crap. My first one caught on fire, known manufacturer defect that they replaced and sent a picture showing an internal change to the wiring that had to be made. Second one doesnt throw flames but doesnt work either.
Dennis
dyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:24 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I'm not familar with this box but I use two 7.2 volt batteries(in AE starter box) not 6volt batteries. But check the manual first to see if it can handle the bigger batteries.
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Get rid of it and right it off as a bad lesson. There is a reason most people have one of the OFNA starter boxes. They will start your car. I have the narrow Pink one and the wide Chrome top both powered by gel cels. Both would fire up a dead chevy if the cells are fully charged.

Go to you LHS and pick up the correct ofna box for your car.

The wires are messy too but there is plenty of room, just clean it up with zip ties.

Good Luck
Trinity .21
Airtronics
RickBac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to FITO

i HAVE BEEN USING THIS BOX SINCE IT'S RELEASE WITH NO PROBLEMS. I USE 2 DTX 3600 7.2V DURATRAXS BATTERY, AND IT LAST WHOLE WEEK END WITH NO PROBLEM. IT STARTED ALL MY ENGINE EVEN THE XENON R WHICH SOMETIME CAN BE HARD TO START IN COLDER WEATHER.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #8

Firstly, replace the motors as per a couple posts previously. The original motors are crap, we've had many smoke up.

Second, change the motor pulleys to 21 tooth pulley as the belt is too loose with the current 20 tooth pulley and ends up just stripping them.

Third, I wouldn't use batteries over 3000mah capacity as they are too hard to fit and warp the shape of the box, and are a bastard to put together.

Your better off redoing all of the wiring to your own liking even to soldering direct to the motors

Cheers

Andrew
XRA-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

WOW I'm glad I didn't buy that starter box!!!
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:20 PM   #10
Tech Master

I can only find 3300mAH (the smallest) batteries here... redoing all those wiring means i got to void the warranty (but heck i don't think they warranty on it anyway)... i've seen smoke came out of the motors when i 1st started it (running 1 or 2 seconds without trying to start an engine)... but i thought it was because of burning lubricants in the motors... changing the motor need more extra $$$ which doesn't seems good now as (we r newbies) we have spent most of our pockets can dig for the car, radio, fuel, etc... thought buying a more expensive starter will quarantee a better usage n less problem... well, yeah ofna starter box seems working very well (although doesn't looks pretty)... but here no more selling ofna goods... i've just check with some frens with same starter box n non seems be able to get it starter yet (or get it to start an engine)... local serpent distributor ain't doing anything to help, as they ain't good with electrical either...

so i guess i'll start with redoing all those wires n try to borrow some lower mAH batteries from frens to try on this box 1st... motors n gears... well that depends how much it cost... otherwise i'll be looking for an used ofna box...
Old 12-08-2007, 11:06 AM   #11
Tech Master

finally the starter box can be start after changed the original wires to some better quality one... n rerouted the wires to ease the job of installation of batteries n cover... using 4300mah gp batteries now... but the motor still get very hot easily n still not very strong compare to some other brands but at least it can start the engine now... new lesson... "don't simply buy new products/design launched simply it's from a highly expensive brand... hahaha"... thanks...