GT class--buggy-based on road!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Am waiting on a reply from them.. I'm in Germany, and according to the website they want 30 bucks for shipping, even for some small pinions which other sellers on ebay.com charge $4 for... Hoping for something as small as a bell and some pinions they can just whack it in an envelope and drop the shipping charge significantly...

Ordered the Kyosho bell from there before. Service was great... Unfortunately the advice (from here, not the shop..) to buy the damn thing was horrible.. Bell will not mesh up for c.rap, requires two whole packs of HPI shims which mount up uncomfortably, it takes weird bearings, etc.. Got the bigger bearings, and tried to mount it up to an RMV Speed clutch yesterday, and it just didn't spin right... €60 down the tubes completely.. Total write-off as far as I can tell...
Old 01-30-2012, 02:12 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Here is a short video of Marcos Silva, one of the owners of ALPHA RC in Brazil doing a little practice for the GT Nats in his country.

Car is OFNA DM1, tires are Alpha RC Soft all around, engine is Novarossi Rally .28 and body is new Alpha R3. Track is very low grip as was under heavy rain until couple hours before the video, enjoy :

http://youtu.be/thP4BvXyHxs

Independently of the brand of tires, cars, bodies, etc ... lets put more videos of GT !!

cya !
Hello from France,

here's a link with all the vids from our Rally Game/GT Challenge!!

http://buggy31.fr-bb.com/t2318-les-v...l-du-sud-ouest

Au revoir...
Romuald
Old 01-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by desotoracing
Yes, it has kick up. Cobra GT uses the same Diff cases, arms, ...general parts of the Buggy.

The first version will be in kit form like the buggy and truggy. Final details are being set right now. We will announce them very soon.
Can't wait for the new ride to be available.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Same here LHS knows I want one from the first batch. I really think this new GT is going to change or class in a very positive way
Old 01-31-2012, 12:35 AM
Tech Champion

What exactly is the deal with the main GT cars - the DM-1 and IGT2? Are they both discontinued?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
What exactly is the deal with the main GT cars - the DM-1 and IGT2? Are they both discontinued?
Kyosho is releasing their new IGT2 Race Spec vehicle, check it out: http://www.redrc.net/2012/01/kyosho-...ec/#more-50905

You are still able to find DM-1 Spec around local shops in USA.

As you know Serpent is comming out with Serpent Cobra GT this year.

I know there is a USA company that is working on 1/8 GT vehicle as we speak.......Stay tuned.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)

Originally Posted by bassman2
Kyosho is releasing their new IGT2 Race Spec vehicle, check it out: http://www.redrc.net/2012/01/kyosho-...ec/#more-50905

I know there is a USA company that is working on 1/8 GT vehicle as we speak.......Stay tuned.
let me guess.......... Losi or Associated

GT2 are the same length as the ofna DM-1 spec
the serpent will be a game changer with all the knowledge they know from onroad and the r and d on the offroad it should be good

cant wait for a mgtx1 or conversion for the mbx6
I like the DM one but the plastics are bad and the design of the clutch bell is poor, you break a bearing and you will need a new clutch bell, cant reach the old bearing to remove it
Old 01-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Tech Champion

Well I'm less than completely thrilled.. Everything's going in the direction of more expensive, race-only stuff.. Very similar to truggies really.. I mean, nobody's going to buy a Serpent to fun race in a parking lot... Already hard enough getting DM-1 parts...(Hell, even Serpent probably won't have a €30 clutch bell.. )

Though I'm more on Associated's and Losi's wavelength.. If Associated in particular came out with one, I'd sell my DM-1 stuff immediately... I'm starting to hate this car... Well, everything else is great, but the clutch bell is a freakin' abomination... Lost another CB today, unable to get a grenaded bearing out of the front...
Old 01-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Tech Addict

Well I'm less than completely thrilled.. Everything's going in the direction of more expensive, race-only stuff.. Very similar to truggies really.. I mean, nobody's going to buy a Serpent to fun race in a parking lot... Already hard enough getting DM-1 parts...(Hell, even Serpent probably won't have a €30 clutch bell.. )

Though I'm more on Associated's and Losi's wavelength.. If Associated in particular came out with one, I'd sell my DM-1 stuff immediately... I'm starting to hate this car... Well, everything else is great, but the clutch bell is a freakin' abomination... Lost another CB today, unable to get a grenaded bearing out of the front...
Don't give up on the DM-1 yet. You are right about the clutchbell being the weakest link for the entire car. There is a great solution for your problem. Many folks in the USA had done this to stay away from DM-1 clutchbell.

Here are the part numbers for the parts you'll need:

KYO96946: 12x18x0.15 mm shims (2 packs)

Kyosho VS058 clutchbell

5x12x4mm bearing

5x10x4mm bearing

Kyosho 1st pinions: KYOFM540-15 (15 tooth first gear); KYOFM540-16 (16 tooth first gear); KYOFM540-17 (17 tooth first gear)

Kyosho 2nd pinions: KYOFM541-19 (19 tooth 2nd gear); KYOFM541-20 (20 tooth 2nd gear); KYOFM541-21 (21 tooth 2nd gear)

All you have to do is to put enough shims between 1st and 2nd pinion gear on the clutchbell to create enough space for the proper mashing against the spur gears.

I hope this helps. Like I said many racers and bashers here in USA had done this easy modification and have zero problems on the race track or bashing.

Good luck and have fun.

Andy Liu, "Flyin Hawaiian"
Old 01-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Tech Champion

I got that!.. With 15-19 pinions.. €55 and two long-wait international orders later, and I tried to mount it up yesterday, and it just didn't fit or spin right.. New X-ray rear bearing, and new normal front bearing.. Was a new RMV Speed clutch.. Today I tried it on a Fioroni Vario clutch, and it spun better, but still not ideal - and I need some odd shaped shaft extender or something up front.. Whole thing felt wrong.. That CB is very thin too, and covers like only half the clutch shoes. Which I guess is OK, but it still feels jerry-rigged... And then the front pinion is only threaded half way onto the bell, if that...
Old 01-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Tech Addict

I got that!.. With 15-19 pinions.. €55 and two long-wait international orders later, and I tried to mount it up yesterday, and it just didn't fit or spin right.. New X-ray rear bearing, and new normal front bearing.. Was a new RMV Speed clutch.. Today I tried it on a Fioroni Vario clutch, and it spun better, but still not ideal - and I need some odd shaped shaft extender or something up front.. Whole thing felt wrong.. That CB is very thin too, and covers like only half the clutch shoes. Which I guess is OK, but it still feels jerry-rigged... And then the front pinion is only threaded half way onto the bell, if that...
Something is got to be off somewhere. Can you post up some photos so we can diagnose the problems you are having.........
Old 01-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)

thanks this is helpful
need to stock up on this before the rc pro race

Don't give up on the DM-1 yet. You are right about the clutchbell being the weakest link for the entire car. There is a great solution for your problem. Many folks in the USA had done this to stay away from DM-1 clutchbell.

Here are the part numbers for the parts you'll need:

KYO96946: 12x18x0.15 mm shims (2 packs)

Kyosho VS058 clutchbell

5x12x4mm bearing

5x10x4mm bearing

Kyosho 1st pinions: KYOFM540-15 (15 tooth first gear); KYOFM540-16 (16 tooth first gear); KYOFM540-17 (17 tooth first gear)

Kyosho 2nd pinions: KYOFM541-19 (19 tooth 2nd gear); KYOFM541-20 (20 tooth 2nd gear); KYOFM541-21 (21 tooth 2nd gear)

All you have to do is to put enough shims between 1st and 2nd pinion gear on the clutchbell to create enough space for the proper mashing against the spur gears.

I hope this helps. Like I said many racers and bashers here in USA had done this easy modification and have zero problems on the race track or bashing.

Good luck and have fun.

Andy Liu, "Flyin Hawaiian"
Old 01-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

well the losi conversions are kicking butt from what i see
but i here a rumor too...hence why the L8ight is discontinued/backordered
Old 01-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

After a small chat with an OFNA representative, OFNA DM1 does not have any intention to be discontinued ...

regards,

Pat
Old 01-31-2012, 09:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DRRC
let me guess.......... Losi or Associated

GT2 are the same length as the ofna DM-1 spec
the serpent will be a game changer with all the knowledge they know from onroad and the r and d on the offroad it should be good

cant wait for a mgtx1 or conversion for the mbx6
I like the DM one but the plastics are bad and the design of the clutch bell is poor, you break a bearing and you will need a new clutch bell, cant reach the old bearing to remove it
I haven't had a problem with the plastic and that's after 3 seasons of racing?! If the 5x8mm CB bearings fail, use a 5mm nut driver and punch it out. I have yet to destroy a CB, I still use the one that came with my GTP (4-1/2 years old). I only use aluminum shoes, I also run every pinion combination 14/18, 15/19, 16/20, and 17/21. Yes this CB has to be shimmed properly, but after that's takin care of you shouldn't have a problem. After my last race (90min endurance) I took the CB apart, the bearings spun smooth with no gritty feeling. I cleaned the CB with nitro cleaner, checked for wear, filed the shoes, added fresh springs, and its ready for next season.

Tip: double or triple stack the 5x8's and use the CB cap screw to help with heat and to keep the road grime out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.