R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #7786
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,968
Default

Am waiting on a reply from them.. I'm in Germany, and according to the website they want 30 bucks for shipping, even for some small pinions which other sellers on ebay.com charge $4 for... Hoping for something as small as a bell and some pinions they can just whack it in an envelope and drop the shipping charge significantly...

Ordered the Kyosho bell from there before. Service was great... Unfortunately the advice (from here, not the shop..) to buy the damn thing was horrible.. Bell will not mesh up for c.rap, requires two whole packs of HPI shims which mount up uncomfortably, it takes weird bearings, etc.. Got the bigger bearings, and tried to mount it up to an RMV Speed clutch yesterday, and it just didn't spin right... €60 down the tubes completely.. Total write-off as far as I can tell...
__________________
-Team Associated RC8.2, RC8T CE, & SC8 with 1.) Argus A52/0801, 2.) RB Fire 11/2058 or 053, 3.) RB Blast V9/2045, 4.) Nosram RS.30RR/JP-4, & 5.) modded Nosram RS.21RR/086
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:12 AM   #7787
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: toulouse/france
Posts: 538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabushi View Post
Here is a short video of Marcos Silva, one of the owners of ALPHA RC in Brazil doing a little practice for the GT Nats in his country.

Car is OFNA DM1, tires are Alpha RC Soft all around, engine is Novarossi Rally .28 and body is new Alpha R3. Track is very low grip as was under heavy rain until couple hours before the video, enjoy :

http://youtu.be/thP4BvXyHxs

Independently of the brand of tires, cars, bodies, etc ... lets put more videos of GT !!

cya !
Hello from France,

here's a link with all the vids from our Rally Game/GT Challenge!!

http://buggy31.fr-bb.com/t2318-les-v...l-du-sud-ouest

Au revoir...
Romuald
romuald31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #7788
Tech Elite
 
Pit-racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Cali/Texas
Posts: 2,273
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoracing View Post
Yes, it has kick up. Cobra GT uses the same Diff cases, arms, ...general parts of the Buggy.

The first version will be in kit form like the buggy and truggy. Final details are being set right now. We will announce them very soon.
Can't wait for the new ride to be available.
__________________
Team Misfits / www.igthobbies.com / Desoto Racing / Veytrex.com / JZRacing / RcShox / IGT8 '17
Pit-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #7789
Tech Regular
 
Gonzo RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 367
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Same here LHS knows I want one from the first batch. I really think this new GT is going to change or class in a very positive way
__________________
Xray NT1 '08 /'09 EC LRP12R / Serpent 720 '08 RB Concept V12, R3 RB mods, V12 Rody, Matrix RW / Serpent 733, 733TE RB T9 / EA RC8T OS .21 Vspec speed tuned / Kyosho Inferno GT, GT2 / EA SC10 / Serpent Cobra GT coming soon!
Gonzo RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:35 AM   #7790
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,968
Default

What exactly is the deal with the main GT cars - the DM-1 and IGT2? Are they both discontinued?
__________________
-Team Associated RC8.2, RC8T CE, & SC8 with 1.) Argus A52/0801, 2.) RB Fire 11/2058 or 053, 3.) RB Blast V9/2045, 4.) Nosram RS.30RR/JP-4, & 5.) modded Nosram RS.21RR/086
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #7791
Tech Addict
 
bassman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UT/TX/IN/PA
Posts: 718
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
What exactly is the deal with the main GT cars - the DM-1 and IGT2? Are they both discontinued?
Kyosho is releasing their new IGT2 Race Spec vehicle, check it out: http://www.redrc.net/2012/01/kyosho-...ec/#more-50905

You are still able to find DM-1 Spec around local shops in USA.

As you know Serpent is comming out with Serpent Cobra GT this year.

I know there is a USA company that is working on 1/8 GT vehicle as we speak.......Stay tuned.
__________________
Andy Liu "Flyin' Hawaiian"
2015 teams/sponsors:
Serpentamerica/Desoto Racing, Murnan Modified Motors, VP powermaster Fuel, Sweep Racing USA, Speed Passion, BUKU performance products
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #7792
Tech Master
 
DRRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,505
Trader Rating: 57 (98%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman2 View Post
Kyosho is releasing their new IGT2 Race Spec vehicle, check it out: http://www.redrc.net/2012/01/kyosho-...ec/#more-50905

You are still able to find DM-1 Spec around local shops in USA.

As you know Serpent is comming out with Serpent Cobra GT this year.

I know there is a USA company that is working on 1/8 GT vehicle as we speak.......Stay tuned.
let me guess.......... Losi or Associated

GT2 are the same length as the ofna DM-1 spec
the serpent will be a game changer with all the knowledge they know from onroad and the r and d on the offroad it should be good

cant wait for a mgtx1 or conversion for the mbx6
I like the DM one but the plastics are bad and the design of the clutch bell is poor, you break a bearing and you will need a new clutch bell, cant reach the old bearing to remove it
__________________
Team Wife
Mugen Seiki Racing
Mugenracing.com
DRRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #7793
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,968
Default

Well I'm less than completely thrilled.. Everything's going in the direction of more expensive, race-only stuff.. Very similar to truggies really.. I mean, nobody's going to buy a Serpent to fun race in a parking lot... Already hard enough getting DM-1 parts...(Hell, even Serpent probably won't have a €30 clutch bell.. )

Though I'm more on Associated's and Losi's wavelength.. If Associated in particular came out with one, I'd sell my DM-1 stuff immediately... I'm starting to hate this car... Well, everything else is great, but the clutch bell is a freakin' abomination... Lost another CB today, unable to get a grenaded bearing out of the front...
__________________
-Team Associated RC8.2, RC8T CE, & SC8 with 1.) Argus A52/0801, 2.) RB Fire 11/2058 or 053, 3.) RB Blast V9/2045, 4.) Nosram RS.30RR/JP-4, & 5.) modded Nosram RS.21RR/086
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #7794
Tech Addict
 
bassman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UT/TX/IN/PA
Posts: 718
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
Well I'm less than completely thrilled.. Everything's going in the direction of more expensive, race-only stuff.. Very similar to truggies really.. I mean, nobody's going to buy a Serpent to fun race in a parking lot... Already hard enough getting DM-1 parts...(Hell, even Serpent probably won't have a 30 clutch bell.. )

Though I'm more on Associated's and Losi's wavelength.. If Associated in particular came out with one, I'd sell my DM-1 stuff immediately... I'm starting to hate this car... Well, everything else is great, but the clutch bell is a freakin' abomination... Lost another CB today, unable to get a grenaded bearing out of the front...
Don't give up on the DM-1 yet. You are right about the clutchbell being the weakest link for the entire car. There is a great solution for your problem. Many folks in the USA had done this to stay away from DM-1 clutchbell.

Here are the part numbers for the parts you'll need:

KYO96946: 12x18x0.15 mm shims (2 packs)

Kyosho VS058 clutchbell

5x12x4mm bearing

5x10x4mm bearing

Kyosho 1st pinions: KYOFM540-15 (15 tooth first gear); KYOFM540-16 (16 tooth first gear); KYOFM540-17 (17 tooth first gear)

Kyosho 2nd pinions: KYOFM541-19 (19 tooth 2nd gear); KYOFM541-20 (20 tooth 2nd gear); KYOFM541-21 (21 tooth 2nd gear)

All you have to do is to put enough shims between 1st and 2nd pinion gear on the clutchbell to create enough space for the proper mashing against the spur gears.

I hope this helps. Like I said many racers and bashers here in USA had done this easy modification and have zero problems on the race track or bashing.

Good luck and have fun.

Andy Liu, "Flyin Hawaiian"
__________________
Andy Liu "Flyin' Hawaiian"
2015 teams/sponsors:
Serpentamerica/Desoto Racing, Murnan Modified Motors, VP powermaster Fuel, Sweep Racing USA, Speed Passion, BUKU performance products
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #7795
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,968
Default

I got that!.. With 15-19 pinions.. €55 and two long-wait international orders later, and I tried to mount it up yesterday, and it just didn't fit or spin right.. New X-ray rear bearing, and new normal front bearing.. Was a new RMV Speed clutch.. Today I tried it on a Fioroni Vario clutch, and it spun better, but still not ideal - and I need some odd shaped shaft extender or something up front.. Whole thing felt wrong.. That CB is very thin too, and covers like only half the clutch shoes. Which I guess is OK, but it still feels jerry-rigged... And then the front pinion is only threaded half way onto the bell, if that...
__________________
-Team Associated RC8.2, RC8T CE, & SC8 with 1.) Argus A52/0801, 2.) RB Fire 11/2058 or 053, 3.) RB Blast V9/2045, 4.) Nosram RS.30RR/JP-4, & 5.) modded Nosram RS.21RR/086
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #7796
Tech Addict
 
bassman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UT/TX/IN/PA
Posts: 718
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
I got that!.. With 15-19 pinions.. 55 and two long-wait international orders later, and I tried to mount it up yesterday, and it just didn't fit or spin right.. New X-ray rear bearing, and new normal front bearing.. Was a new RMV Speed clutch.. Today I tried it on a Fioroni Vario clutch, and it spun better, but still not ideal - and I need some odd shaped shaft extender or something up front.. Whole thing felt wrong.. That CB is very thin too, and covers like only half the clutch shoes. Which I guess is OK, but it still feels jerry-rigged... And then the front pinion is only threaded half way onto the bell, if that...
Something is got to be off somewhere. Can you post up some photos so we can diagnose the problems you are having.........
__________________
Andy Liu "Flyin' Hawaiian"
2015 teams/sponsors:
Serpentamerica/Desoto Racing, Murnan Modified Motors, VP powermaster Fuel, Sweep Racing USA, Speed Passion, BUKU performance products
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #7797
Tech Master
 
DRRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,505
Trader Rating: 57 (98%+)
Default

thanks this is helpful
need to stock up on this before the rc pro race


Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman2 View Post
Don't give up on the DM-1 yet. You are right about the clutchbell being the weakest link for the entire car. There is a great solution for your problem. Many folks in the USA had done this to stay away from DM-1 clutchbell.

Here are the part numbers for the parts you'll need:

KYO96946: 12x18x0.15 mm shims (2 packs)

Kyosho VS058 clutchbell

5x12x4mm bearing

5x10x4mm bearing

Kyosho 1st pinions: KYOFM540-15 (15 tooth first gear); KYOFM540-16 (16 tooth first gear); KYOFM540-17 (17 tooth first gear)

Kyosho 2nd pinions: KYOFM541-19 (19 tooth 2nd gear); KYOFM541-20 (20 tooth 2nd gear); KYOFM541-21 (21 tooth 2nd gear)

All you have to do is to put enough shims between 1st and 2nd pinion gear on the clutchbell to create enough space for the proper mashing against the spur gears.

I hope this helps. Like I said many racers and bashers here in USA had done this easy modification and have zero problems on the race track or bashing.

Good luck and have fun.

Andy Liu, "Flyin Hawaiian"
__________________
Team Wife
Mugen Seiki Racing
Mugenracing.com
DRRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #7798
Tech Elite
 
jrz93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: jersey
Posts: 2,874
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman2 View Post
Kyosho is releasing their new IGT2 Race Spec vehicle, check it out: http://www.redrc.net/2012/01/kyosho-...ec/#more-50905

You are still able to find DM-1 Spec around local shops in USA.

As you know Serpent is comming out with Serpent Cobra GT this year.

I know there is a USA company that is working on 1/8 GT vehicle as we speak.......Stay tuned.
well the losi conversions are kicking butt from what i see
but i here a rumor too...hence why the L8ight is discontinued/backordered
__________________
---NEMO RACING USA--BULLITT--BETA TIRES--CRITTERS HOBBYSHOP--HOBBYWING--TRINITY--TOBAMEISTER PAINT--NYRT--GMK Supply--
--Critters Raceway--Barnstormers Raceway--360v2 Raceway
jrz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #7799
Tech Elite
 
Tabushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chile - Southamerica
Posts: 3,029
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi
Default

After a small chat with an OFNA representative, OFNA DM1 does not have any intention to be discontinued ...

regards,

Pat
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #7800
Tech Apprentice
 
Livewire121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 98
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRC View Post
let me guess.......... Losi or Associated

GT2 are the same length as the ofna DM-1 spec
the serpent will be a game changer with all the knowledge they know from onroad and the r and d on the offroad it should be good

cant wait for a mgtx1 or conversion for the mbx6
I like the DM one but the plastics are bad and the design of the clutch bell is poor, you break a bearing and you will need a new clutch bell, cant reach the old bearing to remove it
I haven't had a problem with the plastic and that's after 3 seasons of racing?! If the 5x8mm CB bearings fail, use a 5mm nut driver and punch it out. I have yet to destroy a CB, I still use the one that came with my GTP (4-1/2 years old). I only use aluminum shoes, I also run every pinion combination 14/18, 15/19, 16/20, and 17/21. Yes this CB has to be shimmed properly, but after that's takin care of you shouldn't have a problem. After my last race (90min endurance) I took the CB apart, the bearings spun smooth with no gritty feeling. I cleaned the CB with nitro cleaner, checked for wear, filed the shoes, added fresh springs, and its ready for next season.

Tip: double or triple stack the 5x8's and use the CB cap screw to help with heat and to keep the road grime out.
__________________
HB D817 - RCConcept MC3R, HB D8T Tessmann Edition - RCConcept MC5R
HB D413 - RCConcept SC120 ESC/Motor, HB D216 - RCConcept SC120 ESC/Motor
HPR 115 - Lenher 2240/7 Motors (103mph)
Thank you to my Sponsors;
HB Racing, RC Concept, AKA, J&T Bearing, RC OMG, MEO, N.E.R.D., Paint Monster
Livewire121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT class--buggy-based on road! duneland Nitro Off-Road 5 03-20-2012 12:03 PM
JRX-S based 4wd buggy?? Why was the idea scrapped? cpatel529 Electric Off-Road 33 12-08-2007 07:19 AM
WTB: .21 NovaRossi based on-road engine parts Speed_Racer R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 12-26-2006 12:40 PM
WTB: .21 NovaRossi based on-road engine parts Speed_Racer R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 13 09-30-2006 11:31 AM
WTB: .21 NovaRossi based on-road engine parts Speed_Racer R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 8 03-21-2006 02:05 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:57 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net