R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   GT class--buggy-based on road! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/183735-gt-class-buggy-based-road.html)

foampervert 03-14-2009 06:01 PM

pardon my ignorance...

hiya folks,

this sounds like a fun class but i do have some questions...

-do these gt1/gt2 cars use buggy (mp7.5) arms or are they shortened arms?
-can the gt cars be converted from mp777 or mp9?
-must .28 engines be used? or can regular .21 engines be used instead?

thank you for all the help and info.

Shalom and God Bless!

-alexander

wwoodruff 03-15-2009 10:28 AM

They use stock 7.5 arms.

I am in the middle of converting a 777, everything fits, but you will need parts from the 7.5 and GT2. Also short shorter shocks for the rear and on-road springs front and rear.

It does not look like anything from the MP-9 will work with the older cars.

I converted a mugen MBX5 once, and used the stock shock towers with Ofna body mounts and a modified front bumper.

You will however need to do some milling for the 2 speed if you plan to use it. I had some custom made motor mount blocks made so I could use a shaft start system. I think the GT2 mounts are standard type now, so that is not an issue.

Unless you plan to race, any engine you want.

Have fun.

foampervert 03-15-2009 12:49 PM

thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by wwoodruff (Post 5553824)
They use stock 7.5 arms.

I am in the middle of converting a 777, everything fits, but you will need parts from the 7.5 and GT2. Also short shorter shocks for the rear and on-road springs front and rear.

It does not look like anything from the MP-9 will work with the older cars.

I converted a mugen MBX5 once, and used the stock shock towers with Ofna body mounts and a modified front bumper.

You will however need to do some milling for the 2 speed if you plan to use it. I had some custom made motor mount blocks made so I could use a shaft start system. I think the GT2 mounts are standard type now, so that is not an issue.

Unless you plan to race, any engine you want.

Have fun.

thanks a bunch!

I have a big stack of old, moldy 1/8th buggies ready to be converted...

shalom and God Bless!

-alexander

dude- 03-16-2009 07:28 AM

igt2

Hi folks, what is your opinion on this. The IGT2s can do 50-55 easily. I run my car on an oval track going for top speed. What .28 engine will give me the max rpm to acheive good top speed. Should I consider going to a .21 to get higher revs.

The axial .28 1s is decent but it only gets me up to 60.

I was going to go with Axial .28RR or the Ninja .21.

What do you guys do to get more top end.

thanks.

Jspeed 03-16-2009 10:55 AM

http://ipanemasports.com/images/Orio...%20a%20row.jpg

www.ipanemasports.com

wwoodruff 03-19-2009 02:33 PM

Looks like an off-road motor, what model CRF is it?:eek:

Jspeed 03-19-2009 02:53 PM

Team Orion CRF .21 US Spec:)

rsperson 03-25-2009 06:59 PM

shaft start backplate for GXR28SG engine

Does anyone know which shaft start backplate fits this engine.

Thanks

wwoodruff 03-26-2009 06:28 PM

I don't believe there is one that will work. :cry:

Timmo 03-26-2009 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by wwoodruff (Post 5603240)
I don't believe there is one that will work. :cry:

Is this Will??

wwoodruff 03-27-2009 12:14 PM

Yes! Your brake pads are on the way.

Timmo 03-27-2009 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by wwoodruff (Post 5606239)
Yes! Your brake pads are on the way.

The other parts are here,thanks!
Everything looks awesome.

TommyBlazin 03-27-2009 07:51 PM

outta the box what handles better?

MikaR 03-27-2009 10:24 PM

Kyosho handles very well out of the box

TommyBlazin 03-28-2009 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by MikaR (Post 5608088)
Kyosho handles very well out of the box

better than the dm-1 spec pro?? honest opionions please

tommy t

Jspeed 03-28-2009 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin (Post 5609334)
better than the dm-1 spec pro?? honest opionions please

tommy t

In all honesty here are my thoughts....

The IGT2 is available in RTR form only and you’re talking about a “roller” with out an engine.

You should base your decision depending on the “GT” racing rules on your area or tracks you wish to run on and parts availability from your local hobby shops.

Both car chassis have their strong & weak points; the comparison of the 2 cars is subjective at best and has been the cause of many heated discussions on this thread since day one. In the spirit of this new year, I hope to not get dragged into any more "bashing" sessions between the two brands. None of the 2 cars is "perfect" no matter what anyone says:)

My personal vote goes with what I’ve driven and had good experiences with; but some of my friends wouldn’t agree with me and that’s cool too.

While I haven’t personally driven or owned the DM1 “Spec”, I’ve seen it racing on tracks. Any chassis can look good and win races, it depends more on the driver and rules more than anything else.

My new IGT2 chassis has performed well for me. It is well balanced, very durable and easy for me to drive. I’ve raced it 2 times and it won for me the first time out, so I’m happy with the layout of the chassis and hope to podium with it many times in 2009. My old IGT1 was great for me and saw many podium finishes in 2008, so I'm real happy with Kyosho's IGT cars.

Regardless of which direction you choose, I hope you enjoy racing your “GT” car.:nod:

See ya at the races!:tire::tire:

wwoodruff 03-28-2009 01:24 PM

Well put

Well put, that about sums it up. :nod:

tbo713 03-28-2009 02:47 PM

the dm-1 spec is a better car overall and it is a roar legal gt car it is a lot tougher car but the igt2 has a better looking shell but the protoform body is a sgreat handling body trust me

vadn1 03-28-2009 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by tbo713 (Post 5609936)
the dm-1 spec is a better car overall and it is a roar legal gt car it is a lot tougher car but the igt2 has a better looking shell but the protoform body is a sgreat handling body trust me

Roar Legal....? Are you sure, since when did Roar come out with rules for the 1/8 GT Class?

Zootcapri 03-28-2009 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 4468649)
Here's a picture a friend sent me that's kinda funny if you look at it close.

Does anyone see what's wrong in it?:lol:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...9/IMG_3345.jpg

From way back in this thread.

The source of all misinformation...no fewer than three errors... BUT... If it is in print and then there must be a ROAR I(as in Inferno)GT class for OFNA's new car. Still haven't found the picvot ball upgrade...

rpespo 03-28-2009 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Zootcapri (Post 5610634)
From way back in this thread.

The source of all misinformation...no fewer than three errors... BUT... If it is in print and then there must be a ROAR I(as in Inferno)GT class for OFNA's new car. Still haven't found the picvot ball upgrade...

No, that's just BS form Ofna. There are no rules for the (I)GT class and, according to the ROAR regional director from New York, ROAR has no plans to make any.

Zootcapri 03-28-2009 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by rpespo (Post 5610807)
No, that's just BS form Ofna. There are no rules for the (I)GT class and, according to the ROAR regional director from New York, ROAR has no plans to make any.

We all had a good laugh about it back then and it still is funny... As I remember the magazine writer was to blame... not OFNA... still funny....

prostock 03-30-2009 10:49 AM

Hi all,

I know this is the IGT thread but I posted DM for sale today!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-rtr-sale.html

BRC :tire:

JLock 03-30-2009 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by prostock (Post 5617467)
Hi all,

I know this is the IGT thread but I posted DM for sale today!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-rtr-sale.html

There is an OFNA DM-1 thread that you could have posted this to instead of hear.:nod:

Jspeed 03-30-2009 02:44 PM

Come on guys, this thread is not brand specific, everyone shares info here.

Its all good, good luck selling you car Bro:)

prostock 03-30-2009 06:51 PM

Thanks J,

Did not mean to offend anyone I figured they both run in the same class so there might be some interest from the Gt owners.

Also I bought my IGT first and guess which one I am keeping? I love Kyosho product!

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 5618305)

Robert R 03-30-2009 06:53 PM

The only thing I like about DM1 is the two speed, In my opinion is the only thing it has over GT. coming out of a box. The 40t gear is no good at all, last race I could not finish race with out stripping them out not one race. I put back 43T and it holds up well. I just like to see Kyosho make better two speed for this car.

Jspeed 03-30-2009 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Robert R (Post 5619383)
The only thing I like about DM1 is the two speed, In my opinion is the only thing it has over GT. coming out of a box. The 40t gear is no good at all, last race I could not finish race with out stripping them out not one race. I put back 43T and it holds up well. I just like to see Kyosho make better two speed for this car.

You mean like this Robert?

http://ipanemasports.com/images/MM3_7743.jpg
Picture by Mike Meyers of sgrid.com

www.ipanemasports.com

Robert R 03-30-2009 11:32 PM

somthing like that I just like to get one I dont have to do any Chassis modifacations.

Billm 04-01-2009 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Robert R (Post 5620475)
somthing like that I just like to get one I dont have to do any Chassis modifacations.

There are several way to overcome the IGT 2 speed issues with no chassis modifications.

Robert R 04-01-2009 01:05 PM

I like to see them Bill . Thanks

Billm 04-01-2009 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Robert R (Post 5627770)
I like to see them Bill . Thanks

The moderators don't look to kindly to someone promoting another site. But if you will email me, I'll give you the link.

[email protected]

kmichael 04-02-2009 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 5618305)

That's the Jspeed that I became friends with:D

chumanji 04-03-2009 03:18 PM

Just wondering...
Has anyone setup the Losi L-8ight has a GT touring car? How does it perform compare to the GT2's and DM-1's

Solara 04-10-2009 10:27 AM

Ipanema tires owner...need some advise. I am wondering what SHORES to use for IGT racing here in Chicago area....last week, we still have SNOW (yes, crazy)....but usually @ summer time, we have around 80s temp (90-100s on track)...MWS and Byron National both running IGT class and LHR will host a full season point racing...

I just want to know does 45 shores sounds too SOFT? I think I will pick 2 full sets, thinking a set of 45s and a set of 50s...qualifier are 10 minutes each and the main are 30 minutes long...

Thanks for the advise....:nod:

Winner's Circle 04-10-2009 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Solara (Post 5666575)
Ipanema tires owner...need some advise. I am wondering what SHORES to use for IGT racing here in Chicago area....last week, we still have SNOW (yes, crazy)....but usually @ summer time, we have around 80s temp (90-100s on track)...MWS and Byron National both running IGT class and LHR will host a full season point racing...

I just want to know does 45 shores sounds too SOFT? I think I will pick 2 full sets, thinking a set of 45s and a set of 50s...qualifier are 10 minutes each and the main are 30 minutes long...

I have been running Ipanemas for 1 full season and I usually run 45 front. The rears are determined by how the car is handling that day and some times I run 45, 40 or 35. Our track is extremely temperature sensitive and it manifest itself by having a car that is totally hooked up with 45 all the way around in the morning and then as the day goes on our track gets looser and looser. I usually run 40 rear for qualifying and 35 rear for the mains.

I suggest that you get some of the 35, 40, and 45 to try and use what is best for your track.

I have them in stock

Lee

CurveTracer 04-10-2009 11:22 AM

Solara,
I raced the beginning of the LHR season, Chicago MWS, and Byrons race on 40 shore front and rear. At the Racine MWS race I used 40 shore tires for the qualifiers and 45 shore tires for the main race. Didn't race the GT in 90 + deg. F weather.

Zootcapri 04-10-2009 02:09 PM

At the Vegas track last month I ran 40 shores. The temp was in the 70's. They wore in real well for the qualifiers. I am taking 45's and 50's for the race in two weeks. Should be warmer.

A racer here in Utah ran 50's last season in our parking lot track and loved them.

Walt 04-10-2009 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Solara (Post 5666575)

Don't buy anything yet. Scotty hinted to me that they are considering a 'spec tire rule'. One tire that everyone will use to help keep costs down and the competition close. I'd wait to see what they decide before making a tire purchase. I hope they'll announce their decision soon.

Maybe instead of buying tires for your imaginary GT car you can spend that money to actually buy a GT car? Just a thought... (and just giving you a hard time old buddy... I hope you'll race our points series).

Walt 04-10-2009 04:43 PM

GT car points series at Leisure Hours Raceway, Joliet Illinois

For anyone with a GT car near Leisure Hours Raceway, we're going to do a points series this year.

Info here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/wisconsi...s-raceway.html