R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   GT class--buggy-based on road! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/183735-gt-class-buggy-based-road.html)

Dasmopar 07-12-2010 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by mcsquish (Post 7662429)
LOL..... no we don't. Because we can't get the parts...:lol:... At last word, the Corvette body isn't expected until late August..:flaming:

Not true. I got word that Gene will have two clear vettes in hand by the end of this week.

Twisted_Metal 07-13-2010 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by BigMiles (Post 7660618)
I live in Long Beach, CA. I can't believe the closes DM-1 48 tooth spur gear is 40 miles away. OFNA needs to get more distributors in Los Angeles.

Well you could try Pacific Coast Hobbies in Lomita it's worth a try they sell a few parts for OFNA.

Speed Shop on Hawthorne Blvd. may have the parts, but last I heard they were closed down for good, but not entirely sure ...

mcsquish 07-13-2010 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dasmopar (Post 7663224)
Not true. I got word that Gene will have two clear vettes in hand by the end of this week.

No, he will only have one, the other I got for myself...... BTW, I didn't find them in the states...:weird:

WildBillMassey 07-13-2010 06:29 AM

Corvette bodies are on order from Japan, but Kyosho America has no firm date. I have a bunch of them on backorder, once they come in I will try to remember to post here.

BigMiles 07-13-2010 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Twisted_Metal (Post 7663460)
Well you could try Pacific Coast Hobbies in Lomita it's worth a try they sell a few parts for OFNA.

Speed Shop on Hawthorne Blvd. may have the parts, but last I heard they were closed down for good, but not entirely sure ...

I'm going to PCH today. We'll see. As for Mario, everytime I go there he is closed. How does he make money?

Thanks for the tip.

williamw 07-13-2010 07:47 AM

:)

Originally Posted by kmichael (Post 7660997)
How much is that blackhawk tranny,to bring the kyosho up to the DM1 level?
half the price of the kit,budget or what? just thinking aloud:cool:

I have both cars now, there are weak spots for sure on both IMO, but both can be raced out of the box. :nod: I should have said :
I would not spend the money for a top shelf Novarossi racing engine on either
car, It defeats the whole purpose for me, but if you want to go really fast thats the way to go. :nod:

bobbyblaze 07-13-2010 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by williamw (Post 7664454)
:)

I have both cars now, there are weak spots for sure on both IMO, but both can be raced out of the box. :nod: I should have said :
I would not spend the money for a top shelf Novarossi racing engine on either
car, It defeats the whole purpose for me, but if you want to go really fast thats the way to go. :nod:

a great man once said "I wanna go fast" lol...i use go race a mugen mrx4r it had ninja and when that car hit 2nd gear you can feel ya heart pumping so fast , the hair on ya body raises up whoooo what a feeling ....love to get that out of a gt nitro

JLock 07-13-2010 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze (Post 7664670)
a great man once said "I wanna go fast" lol...i use go race a mugen mrx4r it had ninja and when that car hit 2nd gear you can feel ya heart pumping so fast , the hair on ya body raises up whoooo what a feeling ....love to get that out of a gt nitro

You are not going to quite get that out of a GT nitro car, but you can come somewhat close. The weights of the two cars are radically different (GT is much heavier that its belt-driven onroad counterpart). Shaft driven cars with mainly offroad diff gearing will not be as quick as the belt driven cars with their smaller diffs.

bobbyblaze 07-13-2010 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by JLock (Post 7665157)
You are not going to quite get that out of a GT nitro car, but you can come somewhat close. The weights of the two cars are radically different (GT is much heavier that its belt-driven onroad counterpart). Shaft driven cars with mainly offroad diff gearing will not be as quick as the belt driven cars with their smaller diffs.

i know but close is good enough :)

Grenade10 07-13-2010 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze (Post 7664670)

Then why not run 4wd Open and you can get all the speed you want ...... :confused:

Leave the IGT to those who want close fun racing, without having to support the cost of the 4wd Open class.

Yes I have both and have much more fun running the IGT. I have no desire or need to make the IGT run like my MRX-4x with Murnan Nova Power. If I do, I run That Car.

*1speedy 07-13-2010 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by jdesoto (Post 7650773)
51004 is illegal in IFMAR/ROAR/EFRA on-road races. For GT??? If nobody cares then use it. It makes a lot of power and noise. :) Uses more fuel than 51011.

You say noise I say beautiful music:nod::tire::sneaky:

I understand what u mean though all good:nod:;)

BigMiles 07-13-2010 05:57 PM

Big props to PCH! They didn't have the biggest selection but they had the gear I needed. They will re-stock in less than a week.

bobbyblaze 07-13-2010 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Grenade10 (Post 7665405)
Then why not run 4wd Open and you can get all the speed you want ...... :confused:

Leave the IGT to those who want close fun racing, without having to support the cost of the 4wd Open class.

Yes I have both and have much more fun running the IGT. I have no desire or need to make the IGT run like my MRX-4x with Murnan Nova Power. If I do, I run That Car.

lol i do race open gt it was a simple conversation on what the other open gt guys run and the nova 35+ & flash special came up... i have nothing against the spec gt i support the hobby 100%,if it on or offroad & air

Raman 07-13-2010 09:09 PM

I was at Speed Shop 3 weeks ago.. I hope he didn't close down.. Mario is a nice a very nice guy.

Jspeed 07-14-2010 01:45 AM

http://ipanemasports.com/images/IMG_0787%20MOD.jpg

http://ipanemasports.com/images/Ipan...ilton%20PR.jpg

Looking good Hilton! ;)

williamw 07-14-2010 07:14 AM

I really like the evil looking grin. :nod: Very nice paint job also! :tire:

bobbyblaze 07-14-2010 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 7668307)

nice job on the flames .....jspeed do ya plan to make your premount wheels black?

mcsquish 07-14-2010 08:03 AM

That's a nice paint job! Why does it look like it's smiling at me.......

JLock 07-14-2010 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by mcsquish (Post 7669277)
That's a nice paint job! Why does it look like it's smiling at me.......

That is evil smile.......like, "You get in my way, I will punt you into next week!!" :sneaky:

spooky 1 07-14-2010 10:01 AM

Are any of you GT racers going to make the Paris race in Oct? I think it is the 24th, but Team Taylor racing will have the details. The Utah bunch is planning to return for another round.

bobbyblaze 07-14-2010 11:04 AM

ok im planning to get another dm-1 to run electric class & igt2 for spec class...i love the gt cars and seeing alot of offroad guys converting

not trying to start any negative talk but just opinions and reason on spec class..i know it suppose to keep cost down...the igt & dm-1 comes rtr both have .28 engines are very good... all see is to change radio, receiver & servos i would think...on the gt national thread some of the guys upset on list of engines..

why can't we keep it simple just run the engine came with the car? again just wanna keep this positive

williamw 07-14-2010 12:01 PM

From what I have read the Force .28 is a very strong engine compared to the GXR .28. I would buy a force .28 if I had to make a choice, but never the Kyosho GXR. I think thats why most of the tracks and race promotors have a list to chose from.

The guys in Mexico have settled on the OS .21 VG because of the quality.

The GXR is not made for racing, ask the guys who had no choice how many they blew up on a regular basis after only a short time. :tire:

Twisted_Metal 07-14-2010 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by BigMiles (Post 7666689)
Big props to PCH! They didn't have the biggest selection but they had the gear I needed. They will re-stock in less than a week.

I just tried to call them with no luck ...

BigMiles 07-14-2010 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Twisted_Metal (Post 7670525)
I just tried to call them with no luck ...

What do you need?

mcsquish 07-14-2010 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by williamw (Post 7670130)
The GXR is not made for racing, ask the guys who had no choice how many they blew up on a regular basis after only a short time. :tire:

Heck, mine blew up during break-in....

bobbyblaze 07-14-2010 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by mcsquish (Post 7671837)

lol ok so when i do get igt2 and change the engine do i need to chane the motor mounts?

MikaR 07-14-2010 10:42 PM

no. just the engine itself, everything else included.

Jspeed 07-15-2010 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze (Post 7669113)
nice job on the flames .....jspeed do ya plan to make your premount wheels black?

Our wheels are available to our dealers on "special order" in white, black, orange and yellow, but its up to our dealers.

Thanks for the Warrior props, but its not mine (I wish it was :nod:).
It belongs to a good friend in Puerto Rico. Was told it would be racing at the "Copa Latina" event this weekend. Good luck Hilton!

williamw 07-15-2010 08:48 AM

Yikes! :eek:

jdesoto 07-15-2010 09:49 AM

Somebody please explain why adding high-quality low-cost (<$200) engines to Spec is a bad idea? This class would be bigger and better without engine prohibition. :nod:

bobbyblaze 07-15-2010 10:49 AM

$200 not bad but now you can buy engine and pipe combo for around $250-$290..like Alpha ,GO & the new picco boost ...companies now making high dollar performance engines where it won't hurt the pocket also the engines run turbo plugs & .21 size....i know this is onroad but on the offroad thread there alot of new companies and dealer selling engines with pipes combos cheap plus some of the dealers breakin for nothing...something to look at

williamw 07-15-2010 11:00 AM

Oh boy, here we go again! :eek:

Jspeed 07-15-2010 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by williamw (Post 7674718)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

JLock 07-15-2010 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze (Post 7674678)
$200 not bad but now you can buy engine and pipe combo for around $250-$290..like Alpha ,GO & the new picco boost ...companies now making high dollar performance engines where it won't hurt the pocket also the engines run turbo plugs & .21 size....i know this is onroad but on the offroad thread there alot of new companies and dealer selling engines with pipes combos cheap plus some of the dealers breakin for nothing...something to look at

The question becomes, "Where do you stop?" I did some research and there are at least 40 to 50 engines out there that fit the "$200 limit" range. Which ones do you allow and which ones you don't? Which ones perform better than the others? Who will tech all these engines to see if someone altered the internals at a major event? These are just a few questions to ask yourself.

Please, lets not get this engine debate started again. If you were in Mexico City racing GT, there is just one spec engine, the OS .21vg, period. There is no room for argument or debate there. You either run that engine or you don't run at all. When I got started racing GT in Mississippi and Memphis, TN, Kyosho was the only legal car. If you had an OFNA or converted buggy, it was too bad for you because you could not run them. Also, even with the Kyosho, in Mississippi, you had to run the stock engine, period. The race director relaxed those rules later and allowed a few others engines. In Memphis however, you had to run the Kyosho car with stock engine, no exceptions. It was their venue, they made the rules, and for us that went there to race, we either conformed or did not race GT.

The rules are clear on this. You can't keep changing what is and isn't allowed constantly throughout the racing season just because this person or that faction runs this or has that. Making constant changes confuses racers and eventually runs them off, thus helping to kill the class. Let's make it through the first season of racing under Ipanema sponsored race banner and in the off-season, things will be examined and re-evaluated for next year as far as what will and will not be allowed (legal).

bobbyblaze 07-15-2010 11:27 AM

not trying knock your rules or cause a fuss here all i was sayinv there are companies making affordable engine ...no need to get upset

JLock 07-15-2010 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze (Post 7674813)
not trying knock your rules or cause a fuss here all i was sayinv there are companies making affordable engine ...no need to get upset

Not upset at all. It is just that there are some out there that like to "muddy the waters" about the spec class of GT racing. All engines, regardless of price, mods, etc are legal for the open class. So, if you have engine X, Y, or whatever, you can still run it but just in the open class.

williamw 07-15-2010 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by williamw (Post 7674718)

Told ya! :rolleyes:

spooky 1 07-15-2010 12:25 PM

We here in Utah run a spec and open class. The only spec alternate engine we allow is the Axial .28 S2. It is cheap and has excellent power. We must weigh in at no less than 3450 grams for spec. We use the GRP " B " compound tire. This is more true to spec racing. As in Mexico, you can eliminate all the engine debate by doing this. Try this and all the smack will go away.

williamw 07-15-2010 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by spooky 1 (Post 7675012)
We here in Utah run a spec and open class. The only spec alternate engine we allow is the Axial .28 S2. It is cheap and has excellent power. We must weigh in at no less than 3450 grams for spec. We use the GRP " B " compound tire. This is more true to spec racing. As in Mexico, you can eliminate all the engine debate by doing this. Try this and all the smack will go away.

Wow, that is light for these cars. Does anyone get close to the limit?

js058515 07-15-2010 12:52 PM

Does anyone have any good links to some great GT Class racing videos? I love watching these race.