GT class--buggy-based on road!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

Shame to see all the bickering again. Jspeed, it seems to be mostly you.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Man, step away from the forum for a NY minute, and boom, it blows up again. Everyone needs to go back to their corners and catch their breath. When I started running this class back in late 2007/early 2008, it was fun and I had a blast. Now, not so much fun running this class anymore. There are too many folks with too many agendas taking the fun (and life) out of the class. Personally, I don't care what brand of tires you run, what brand body you run, or what brand of car you run, just show up to run it and have fun. This class is now more political than 8th scale and 200mm. There are agendas there as well but at least they don't get as personal as they do with GT cars.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
Man, step away from the forum for a NY minute, and boom, it blows up again. Everyone needs to go back to their corners and catch their breath. When I started running this class back in late 2007/early 2008, it was fun and I had a blast. Now, not so much fun running this class anymore. There are too many folks with too many agendas taking the fun (and life) out of the class. Personally, I don't care what brand of tires you run, what brand body you run, or what brand of car you run, just show up to run it and have fun. This class is now more political than 8th scale and 200mm. There are agendas there as well but at least they don't get as personal as they do with GT cars.
Amen to that.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikaR
I see what you mean. I've raced shaft cars since came out around 2007.
These Rally game cars are different from 1:8 scale onroad, I wouldn't judge them just because it has belts. These belts are 10x beefier by the way. I think you would be surprised how nice these Italian cars are once you get to try one. I gives me a little more room to improve by driving still being a GT car - large and cool!
Fair enough.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by williamw
Amen to that.
Will, you do know he's talking about the guys in the GT group he's racing with locally right?
Old 05-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Mika's BMT Warrior

Old 05-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikaR
Hi,
this is the reason why I got one for myself - to find out.

Out of the box it's not faster on bigger tracks because they don't have 2-speed trannies as trannies are illegal in southern europe where these are being raced (the rally game series) and 1-speed is a must. Therefore I made one myself, photo below, to be able to run on bigger tracks equally with shaft driven GTs.

For me clearly there is no going back to shaft. This adventure has just started - and the track is not yet in it's optimal condition after the long winter - but I'm already on par that I ever was with IGT. I feel that I can squeeze out 1-2 seconds still on a 22 sec lap. Some of the local experienced drivers have applauded the way this car launches itself out of a turn and this is propably it's strongest point comparing to shaft driven models like DM1S. You know, races are won in an apex, not on the straight.

Mika,

Refresh my memory, did you ever do a brushless conversion on the bmt?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

No politics or agendas in the group that race in Texas SWCS that I see. Just show up and have fun. Its a hobby, and that's all it is.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mtx3ron
Guys I am a lot confused I was told by my club that I can not run the ofna dm1 spec in the gt class, Because it is not a buggy based chassis. Ofna gtp is the only one that is allowed from Ofna. I did see a dm 1 ran at the recent MWS mentor without any issues. What is the official ruling on the DM 1 Spec. Thanks This class looks great.
I was running the DM1 spec in Mentor MWS (I took 2nd place in the MWS A main). Its essentially a purpose built GT car with alot of buggy parts carried over to it (I would argue so is the GT1 and GT2) but it has most parts built for buggies (I found out recently one of the upper arms for the rear are front arms on a buggy). The chassis plate and the front lay down shock setup is unique to it as is the front and rear bumper and body mounts that every GT car needs. I really don't see whats the big deal, it comes in a RTR form just like the Kyosho car for about the same price. There is no real advantage to it over the Kyosho other than my 2 speed doesn't melt down on every run (this was a major deciding factor for getting the DM1 spec).

I think going forward the class will have more purpose built GT cars like the DM1 spec, onroad racing has a lot of load differences on the transmissions and brake systems compared to offroad(namely due to grip), and it would be nice to see cars designed to handle more reliably these kinds of loads unique to GT class racing. Without trying to inject too much more debate, perhaps ROAR should merely do what they do in many other class rules, specify a maximum kit price.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Will, you do know he's talking about the guys in the GT group he's racing with locally right?
I simply agree with his statement, it's not important who he is talking about.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Tech Addict

Smile Time To Have Fun!

Wow... I took a look over the thread today... losts of discussion on rules and who invented what..
At this point the Northwest is brand new to GT8, we started with one car to test, thanks to Mike Godson for making the purchase, and now there are 7 or 8 of us in only 3 weeks..with a lot of excitment to boot... we are going to adopt the mid west rules until ROAR steps in However!.....Please accept our invitation to the TimeZone Grand Prix in July (see the thread in Nitro ON-Road)

D-Box... X-Box we dont give a shit..show up; bring your cars, and lets have a good time.. I drove the car all day sunday and had a blast with it.. It needs some taller gears for our track.. but it was still a hoot..
Pack up your gear boys....and Jspeed, grab some of those killer tires, and fancy bodies and prepared to meet some of the best people in our sport/hobby.. we can settle differences over the BBQ and a beer... We'll share setup ideas... driving techniques (manage those tires) and laugh...
Who knows... you might just have one of the best RC experiences of your life and make a few new friends...Ask Martin Crisp Author of the best RC setup books writen "XXX Main Setup book"

Cheers,
Clete
Old 05-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Clete Landefeld

D-Box... X-Box
what are those?
Old 05-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tomkelley
what are those?
HAHA! got me.. Jspeed and wildbill were throwing down earlier today about a D-box something or other.... I just added the XBox (game console to be an ass)
Old 05-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clete Landefeld
HAHA! got me.. Jspeed and wildbill were throwing down earlier today about a D-box something or other.... I just added the XBox (game console to be an ass)
D-box is a gyro.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For definition, the D-box is a gyro that drifter use to help right their car after sliding it around corners. It is the same as a gyro to right the tail of a r/c helicopter. If you weren't a good driver, it would aid you at correcting your car coming out of corners and keeping your car somewhat straight when doing a straight line (like down a long straightaway).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.