Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

no Snooki for you rage?

here's that "cool" gt truck tearing up the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WqazleR3FE
Old 10-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default GT racing in Las Vegas, Nevada

Just got back from the Paris Memorial race in Las Vegas, Nevada. The track was sprayed with VHT before the start of qualifiers. The entire weekend air temp was around 50s in the morning and high 70s around early afternoon. For the 1st two qualifiers I tried GT 45 slicks in the front and EXP 50 slicks in the rear. Overall the car had plenty of traction but the front was pushing slightly after couple of minutes on the track. For the 3rd qualifier I switched to EXP 50 slicks all around and I noticed great traction all around and felt my car was coming out of the corner much faster. I was on a new TQ pace until someone had slammed into me, after this round of qualifier I realized what tires I'll need for the A-Main. In an effort of saving my EXP 50 slicks for the A-Main I went ahead and changed tires to GT 45 treaded and GT 45 slicks in the front for 4th round of qualifier. The car handled great for the first 3 minutes but started to push again. Gus Wood was using the EXP 50 slicks all around for the 4th qualifying round and he was able to set a new TQ (great job Gus). Before the main I switched back to EXP 50 all around. During the A-main many leads were exchanged during the first 10 minutes of the race between myself and Gus Wood(another great Sweep sponsor driver). Unfortunately Gus and I were accidently tangled and the crash caused him to side line(sorry again Gus ). The EXP 50 slicks held up for the entire 20 minutes of the main with no sign of over heat, traction was amazing and the compound was very consistant throughout the entire main unlike some of other brand of tires in the main. As result, I've took home the 1st place win at 10th annual Paris Memorial Race of 2010. Great job on the EXP 50s guys. Keep up the good work!!!!!! My GT Body was from BYSM, SM 1 Carrozzeria. Here are some photos:

Myself

Team Spooky captain(Gus Wood) and myself

Some of Team Spooky members from the left: Brian, myself, Gus, Russ, and Kurt(he wants me to lose some weight)

My dad Jim with my GT

Top three finishers from left: Russ F., Andy L., Mike B.

From the left: Gus Wood(Top Qualifier), Andy Liu(1st place)

Last edited by bassman2; 10-27-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bassman2
unlike some of other brand of tires in the main.
Hell yeah, Sweep for the win! Great job guys!

Last edited by WildBillMassey; 10-27-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Looks like all you guys from Utah had fun, congrats!

-- IGT - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 2 44 20:06.61 Andy Liu
2 3 44 20:21.66 Mike Braun
3 6 41 20:25.31 Russell Forsyth
4 4 40 20:09.79 Leonard Vergara
5 5 40 20:27.04 Brian Stanley
6 7 33 17:39.68 Kurt Shaw
7 1 23 10:34.52 Gus Wood

-- IGT - B Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 1 19 10:12.31 Kurt Shaw
2 2 19 10:14.51 Andy Wade
3 3 18 10:10.84 Clint Woodcox
4 5 17 10:17.72 Jay McCarthy
5 6 17 10:24.38 Jerry Tate
-- 4 --- DNS --- Darryl Dunson

Only 7 cars racing in that great big 20 minute a main?
Did the 200mm & 1/8 scales only run 20 minute a mains too?

Just trying to learn the logic in that big main set-up.

Congrats again
Old 10-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 357 (100%+)

oh oh , getting my popcorn ready.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jmoneym
oh oh , getting my popcorn ready.
No Bro, not looking for arguments, just asking why only 7 cars & 20 minute a main, thats all.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 357 (100%+)

ok still getting popcorn ready
Old 10-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I like the yellow,gray,and white Ferrari.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jmoneym
ok still getting popcorn ready
Nah, you don’t need any popcorn.

Let’s cut to the chase, ok fellas...

Too many times GT race times are cut short at events around the country, while the more established nitro classes enjoy full 45 minute A Mains. We all put in all the same “efforts” into attending big races too. It just doesn’t sit well for GT racing growth.

20 mins vs 45 mins is lame to me, It must suck to turn marshal for 45 mins and race for only 20!

Not trying to take anything away from you guys that raced your hearts out, congrats for doing it and posting pics!

We should all work together to make sure that all GT races are the same lengths as everyone else’s class.

Something for us GT racers to think about.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:08 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The winner of the race they allow that body?
Old 10-28-2010, 05:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Nah, you don’t need any popcorn.

Let’s cut to the chase, ok fellas...

Too many times GT race times are cut short at events around the country, while the more established nitro classes enjoy full 45 minute A Mains. We all put in all the same “efforts” into attending big races too. It just doesn’t sit well for GT racing growth.

20 mins vs 45 mins is lame to me, It must suck to turn marshal for 45 mins and race for only 20!

Not trying to take anything away from you guys that raced your hearts out, congrats for doing it and posting pics!

We should all work together to make sure that all GT races are the same lengths as everyone else’s class.

Something for us GT racers to think about.
I completely agree!!!!! And, it's the same fight for 'acceptability' that the SC trucks have been having! Last year, I went to an electric race where every class had triple a mains EXCEPT the Short Course classes. The 'establishment' does not seem to like to share the spotlight with the newer classes.

That's one thing that I'll say about the Heart of America Series, there's complete parity among all classes.

Originally Posted by snrscion
The winner of the race they allow that body?
Yeah, what body is that??? Lookin' good!!!!!! And will it fit a GT2???

Last edited by Chris K; 10-28-2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-28-2010, 05:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Looks like all you guys from Utah had fun, congrats!

Only 7 cars racing in that great big 20 minute a main?
Did the 200mm & 1/8 scales only run 20 minute a mains too?

Just trying to learn the logic in that big main set-up.

Congrats again
the 1/8" scale pan and 1/10th scale sedans ran the races as designated by ROAR. 45 minute mains.

We were going to run all the cars and only have 1 main. However with the busy schedule that was being run by the organizers ("Rocket Round" qualifying and Mains. Meaning there wasn't typically a break between them.) Most of the GT cars were from Utah, all but 4 I believe and we didn't have dedicated pit guys, and couldn't help each other if we were all in the same race. We discussed this with the race director and it was decided to split the class and do an A and B main but they would be shorter. This way we could pit for the guys in the opposite main. Although we had less cars starting in the mains, we had as many or more finish them. Those 1/8 scale pans are fragile

Would I have loved more time to run in the main? Absolutely. But I run the race that is there and have fun while doing it. My expectations are to have fun and enjoy my hobby with others that enjoy it as well. We had lots of track time and that's what I enjoyed the most.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Tech Addict

To me 20 minutes is too short for an A Main. But looking at the problem with pitguys I can see that you guys had to have a compromise. Here we run 45 minutes for every A Main no matter what class except for the junior class that run 30 minutes maximum (or until there are no more cars left).

I've seen that problem with many new classes but at least we have solved the problem of parity in GTs.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jneg
To me 20 minutes is too short for an A Main. But looking at the problem with pitguys I can see that you guys had to have a compromise. Here we run 45 minutes for every A Main no matter what class except for the junior class that run 30 minutes maximum (or until there are no more cars left).

I've seen that problem with many new classes but at least we have solved the problem of parity in GTs.
I agree, and would have like a longer race for sure. It was really out of our hands however it didn't prevent us from having fun, and that is the most important part of the hobby, isn't it? We did what we could an compromised where we had to.

With tracks being far and few between here in our region. Vegas is really the closest permanent track to us and it's over 6 hours away. Things are in the works here and if all goes well we will have a permanent race track here in Utah. We won't be a GT only group as lots of us run other scales as well, but we will treat all classes equally.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris K
Yeah, what body is that??? Lookin' good!!!!!! And will it fit a GT2???
That body is available only for GT1 as far as I know. I can get those through DeltaPlastik. I believe its the same body Paul Coleman used to run. Body is legal as long as the engine is completely covered and doesn't expose the head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.