Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
From what I have been told, licensing is what is holding up the production of new bodies for r/c. You have to go through brokers and fees are not cheap. So, don't hold your breathe waiting on new bodies; it will be a long time for some of what you mentioned to come out if any will.
I'd have to agree with this statement. If you talk with Dale at Protoform, that is why the cars no longer have brands but listed (for oval racing) as THD, CHD or DHD You can guess what type of grill they have and yes the "Green House" is similar but it makes the point on getting approval for bodies.

I should have kept the Greenwood 1/8 Corvette body that I had as that would have been a tremendus body to race in this class

Speaking of, why are the wheel size so out of proportion to the car bodies???
Old 10-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WildBillMassey
It actually got me thinking last night, I may reevaluate the prices I have on the Sweeps and offer them at a lower price. I'll let you guys know.
So...... Whats the verdict Bill? Looks like the Sweep site now has a lower price but I dont know how much shipping is. Bottom line is what counts.
I need a new set of Sweeps for a race on the 21st-24th. I need to order asap, so since I po' I needs a deal .
Old 10-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grenade10
I'd have to agree with this statement. If you talk with Dale at Protoform, that is why the cars no longer have brands but listed (for oval racing) as THD, CHD or DHD You can guess what type of grill they have and yes the "Green House" is similar but it makes the point on getting approval for bodies.

I should have kept the Greenwood 1/8 Corvette body that I had as that would have been a tremendus body to race in this class

Speaking of, why are the wheel size so out of proportion to the car bodies???
Then why are the Japanese so able in getting their licenses?

Protoform doesn't bother with licensing because that's not their demographic. They're after the 1/10 scale TC racer or 1/8 scale onroad guy who simply want the best handling bodies.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
Then why are the Japanese so able in getting their licenses?

Protoform doesn't bother with licensing because that's not their demographic. They're after the 1/10 scale TC racer or 1/8 scale onroad guy who simply want the best handling bodies.
Agreed. Licensing is not always the factor. Licensing is not always expensive, as I am actually working on 2 right now for the GT2 wheelbase. There are other factors for sure — demographics definitely being one. Also, design approval, sculpting fees, mold fees, etc. A lot of work goes into this, and I think some companies would rather skip the hassle and make their own design that resembles the real thing. Going through a broker will also suck some cash out of your pocket — always go to the source It may take some time finding the correct contact person (took me 3 months) but it will be worth it.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Here is something to chew on while we are talking about licensing.

I have been waiting 6 months for Kyosho Corvette GT2 bodies to come off backorder. Why so long???

When GM came out of bankruptcy, they raised their licensing fee's through the roof, so much in fact, that Kyosho refuses to pay for the licensing.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TYLORD
Agreed. Licensing is not always the factor. Licensing is not always expensive, as I am actually working on 2 right now for the GT2 wheelbase. There are other factors for sure — demographics definitely being one. Also, design approval, sculpting fees, mold fees, etc. A lot of work goes into this, and I think some companies would rather skip the hassle and make their own design that resembles the real thing. Going through a broker will also suck some cash out of your pocket — always go to the source It may take some time finding the correct contact person (took me 3 months) but it will be worth it.
Well, I guess I could be responsible for typing what I thought I wanted to express instead of what I DID express.....

And thanks to those who could 'read between the lines' because what I intended to type was PRODUCTION GT..... Prototypes have run their course in our hobby; they now look all the same and contribute to handling - no changing history - that's the way it is and THAT is NOT the way I would like to see IGT racing go.

Anyone have Dale Eppes ear??? PLEASE tell him to lengthen the body he currenntly produces so that we can have an alternative to the Warrior. I had truly hoped that the Warrier would 'grow' on me but the reality is that I'm no fonder of it today than I was the day I bought it. AND, I have a whole winter to figure out how to patch together my McLaren body that came with my chassis - good thing it's black 'cause it's NOT hard to match the paint!!!!!!

AND truly there's NOT anything wrong with the Warrior other than it just plain doesn't look right... it probably helps handling but honestly, I really don't care - I want a car on the track that looks like something that the average person can walk up to and say 'I'm rootin' for the old man driving the _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (insert brand of your choice)' rather than 'what the heck kinda' car is that?????'

My thoughts; my dreams for the class; probably never happen 'cause sadly I think the die is cast....
Old 10-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Tech Addict

I'm with you there Chris. I don't care how the body handles, I just want something that looks good, or in my case different. I run an SC8 body with a protoform wing, and that thing kicks butt at the track. I really don't think aero helps or hurts these cars.

Come to think of it, A couple guys at my local track were running Warrior bodies, and they didn't like the way it handled, so they went back to their Audi bodies, and it was night and day. So maybe there is some aero at play, the bigger the body, the better it handles. Audi bodies and SC8 bodies are the ticket! LOL
Old 10-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

The realistic bodies are what attracted me to these cars also. I guess I'll have to take good care of my Corvette, I had no idea they are unavailable right now.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Tech Champion

When GM came out of bankruptcy, they raised their licensing fee's through the roof, so much in fact, that Kyosho refuses to pay for the licensing.
Kyosho: Hmm pay a bankrupt GM additional fees for the Corvette.. or pay Ferrari for the new 458 Italia.... decisions decisions. LOL
Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Anyone know how to renew "ROAR" membership.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Chris K
My thoughts; my dreams for the class; probably never happen 'cause sadly I think the die is cast....
Many of us share the same dream Chris! If the current class goes one way, there is always room for another class. We can always create and RCGT8 class to keep scale realism alive!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Timmo
Anyone know how to renew "ROAR" membership.
http://www.roarracing.com/?page_id=20
Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Wild bill,thanks,but where does it say "renew membership"....
Old 10-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

sent a pm a couple of weeks ago did you get it
Old 10-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Timmo
Wild bill,thanks,but where does it say "renew membership"....
Go to "Join", and enter a new application. On the bottom it asks for your ROAR number, and they will renew that number.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.