Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Kyosho VoneR Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 04:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Mauler
Hey Manti...are the floating blocks suppose to be free to slode up and down the shaft or is it suppose to be tight on the case... Mine seems rather tight and it makes no sense at all! Made any modifications to ur casing?
Anyone too?
yes the gear mesh seems a little bit on the tight side and you can even feel the gear grinding each others. However, the diff is not tight at all. I have checked with other V1R with the LSD and they are the same.
Old 11-14-2001, 05:07 PM
Regional Moderator

Hey Manti...are the floating blocks suppose to be free to slode up and down the shaft or is it suppose to be tight on the case... Mine seems rather tight and it makes no sense at all! Made any modifications to ur casing?
Anyone too?
You need to match the gears with floating blocks. My LSD is not tight at all.
Old 11-14-2001, 05:10 PM
Regional Moderator

No wonder... the Kyosho LSD is not very much different from the appearence other than the floating blocks... Don't quote me but I think the material used for the bevels could be inconel... other than that, given the density and price, I could not think of other materials that could withstand the wear!
By the way White Cat...you have the 1/5th site for reference?
I found the link from here: http://www.rev-up.co.uk/index1.html

What is inconel?
Old 11-14-2001, 05:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by White cat

You need to match the gears with floating blocks. My LSD is not tight at all.
???
Old 11-14-2001, 08:43 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Manticore

???
The tolorance of the gears and floating blocks is not 100% perfect. Some gears are tight in a particular floating block, but some are loose. If the gears and blocks are matched before installation, you will get a perfect LSD.
Old 11-14-2001, 08:56 PM
Tech Champion

The tolorance of the gears and floating blocks is not 100% perfect. Some gears are tight in a particular floating block, but some are loose. If the gears and blocks are matched before installation, you will get a perfect LSD.
so you need to buy extra unit for your master matching???
Old 11-14-2001, 09:11 PM
Regional Moderator

so you need to buy extra unit for your master matching???
No, it is just 4 gears matching with 4 floating blocks. If they can't be matched perfectly, you may need to get an extra unit. Sorry!
Old 11-14-2001, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

I found the link from here: http://www.rev-up.co.uk/index1.html

What is inconel?
Inconel is an nickel based alloy, much harder than that of titanium...and of course much more expensive too... It is normally used in aerospeace industry or the higher end of automobiles we have on our roads... I was working in the aerospace industry once as an engineer and this material is way too familiar! Maybe I'm wrong!
Old 11-14-2001, 09:25 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah...mine is loose too...as if I had no oil at all in the diff... but my question is whether the floating blocks are supposed to "float" up and down the bevels? If not, why are they not "fixed" blocks? Still doing my little experiments at home to understand the working... very very different from the Kawahara negative diff!
Old 11-15-2001, 03:18 AM
Regional Moderator

Yeah...mine is loose too...as if I had no oil at all in the diff... but my question is whether the floating blocks are supposed to "float" up and down the bevels? If not, why are they not "fixed" blocks? Still doing my little experiments at home to understand the working... very very different from the Kawahara negative diff!
I also don't know why the blocks are called floating blocks. Kyosho should have call them friction blocks or something similar. Those blocks never float!

This is how the Kyosho LSD works. LSD is to control the different rev of both left and right wheels. It doesn't lock up when both wheels have similar rev. When both wheel have different rev and the difference is up to a certain point, the bevel gears move at high rpm and generate heat. The bevel gears expand and lock up with the floating blocks. In the mean time, the diff feels like having some heavy diff oil. When the bevel gears slow down, they become cool and the friction is gone. The black oil is used to control the temperate of the bevel gears from being too hot.
Old 11-15-2001, 06:35 AM
Tech Champion

I also don't know why the blocks are called floating blocks. Kyosho should have call them friction blocks or something similar. Those blocks never float!

This is how the Kyosho LSD works. LSD is to control the different rev of both left and right wheels. It doesn't lock up when both wheels have similar rev. When both wheel have different rev and the difference is up to a certain point, the bevel gears move at high rpm and generate heat. The bevel gears expand and lock up with the floating blocks. In the mean time, the diff feels like having some heavy diff oil. When the bevel gears slow down, they become cool and the friction is gone. The black oil is used to control the temperate of the bevel gears from being too hot.
WC, dont make thing so complicated, think about it when you have a steel metal expend to a visible size, you probably melt down the diff case. the floating block's function is to lock with the small bevel gear when the bevel gears inside the diff has spin to a certain speed. i.e. it called floating block. the theory is the same as the oneway bearing.
Old 11-15-2001, 08:43 AM
Tech Regular

Hey, just tried out the LSD up front! I'm telling you guys out there to get this! Acts like a one way in corners and provides a powerful punch out of corners! Moreover it doesn't spin off like the one way! This baby is more than sweet!
But it rather pricey though....
Old 11-15-2001, 01:32 PM
Regional Moderator

WC, dont make thing so complicated, think about it when you have a steel metal expend to a visible size, you probably melt down the diff case. the floating block's function is to lock with the small bevel gear when the bevel gears inside the diff has spin to a certain speed. i.e. it called floating block. the theory is the same as the oneway bearing.
The name "floating blocks" is kind of misleading since those blocks only provide a locking action for the expanded bevel gears. The blocks are fixed inside the diff case.

Shoot! You mean I put a oneway in the rear??? Should I put it in the front or rear?
Old 11-15-2001, 01:33 PM
Regional Moderator

Hey, just tried out the LSD up front! I'm telling you guys out there to get this! Acts like a one way in corners and provides a powerful punch out of corners! Moreover it doesn't spin off like the one way! This baby is more than sweet!
You mean the LSD works better in the front?
Old 11-15-2001, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

So are you running the regular gear diffs in the rear? If so What weight oil are you using for the rear? Or are you running a Solid Rear Axle in the rear? Also Have you tried running the Kyosho LSD in both the front and rear Diffs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.