Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Kyosho VoneR Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by AMGRacer

I think in the US Tower hobbies has the Kyosho market sewn up.
Oh yea they do
Old 09-13-2002, 10:03 PM
asd
Tech Addict

would a jr xr-2 be an ok radio or would u guys highly recommend fm?
Old 09-14-2002, 02:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by asd
would a jr xr-2 be an ok radio or would u guys highly recommend fm?
try to race with the radio you are using now and save up for a top of the line radio. unlike a car, once you've got a good radio you really won't have to update for a long time. if you can afford the extra money go for a mars ex1 or ex1 R.

i can't comment on the jr as i've never used one, but make sure at least that it's got ;
-end point adj (throttle and steering)
-brake adjust
-steering speed
-things like throttle speed help if you aren't acustomed to the speed of your new motor and find it hard to go easy on the throttle

i think there might be a new xr2 comming out, or it's already been released, not sure.
Old 09-14-2002, 06:41 AM
asd
Tech Addict

thxs
my dad is buying me the radio so there is no point in saving up, seeing as how i dont get allowance, lol
anyhow, i was also thinking of gettuing an airtronics mx-3
thxs
Old 09-14-2002, 08:23 PM
asd
Tech Addict

hey, i got the mx-3 today,
i need help "tunning" it,
what percentage epa do u suggest on the throttle/open, and steering things, lol
i'm new to this radio and dont wanna mess it up
thxs
Old 09-15-2002, 02:20 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Blue Star update

Originally posted by patelladragger
Well after my completely unscientific tests of the team blue star bearings I have to report they're nothing special really. I put some in my VoneR and I really think that properly maintained stock bearings are more free than these. I tested (among other tests) with the front one-way and axle bearings only and I found that the stock bearings which I had pulled one shield and degreased and lubed were MUCH more free rolling than the team blue star. Maintenance doing it this way is a pain but if you're accustomed to breaking your car down it's a noticeable improvement.

Will report on the weight of the kawahara chassis compared to the integy 7075 and the stock this weekend. I'm looking for ways to trim weight out of the car - any ideas?
Yeah, nothing special, no more durability...inexpensive, but still disappointing regardless. I would trade the extra resistance for lasting longer and more reliabilty, but these seem to get eaten up as easily as the stockers. Keep us updated on the Integy chassis... I heard that the makers of this stuff are the same people who make the parts for Kawahara. The rear shock tower I bought is very nice. Ooh, it's late....

Last edited by kevink2; 09-15-2002 at 02:22 AM.
Old 09-15-2002, 03:03 AM
Tech Regular

are the K factory hop ups good for the VoneR and RR?
Old 09-15-2002, 08:37 AM
asd
Tech Addict

almost any hop up partsmaker is good, except for gpm, lol
hey, by the way, i broke one ogf my 45mm adj. sterring rods, lol
i went diagnanol into a curb at around 30mph, man was it ugly, my car went into a viscious spin
do u know how much the sterring rods are?
thxs
Old 09-15-2002, 09:14 AM
asd
Tech Addict

turnbuckles are steering rods, rite?
anyhow, will these "turnbuckles" fit on my v one rr?
1404 Blue Titanium Turnbuckles, 1.775”/45mm, they're factory team ones, or should i get the titanium ones that kyosho makes for the v one rr?
thxs

Last edited by asd; 09-15-2002 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Default Chassis / Bearing Update

ok - spent a little time with the kyoshos today.

On the chassis, I found:

Kawahara 3.9oz
Stock 4.4 oz
Integy 7075 4.6 oz

Noticeable difference picking up the kawahara compared to the other two. The stock and the kawahara are pretty close to 3mm, the integy is closer to 3.2 -3.3 mm in many place.

on the bearings - after trying to take the shields off ALL the metal shield bearings in these cars (that weren't already off) I came across a few of the team blue star ones I was taking out that were pretty free. I started taking the rubber shields off them and found that most were packed with a very heavy grease but some weren't (the ones that were free). Basically after taking the shields off the blue stars and degreasing them with denatured alcohol and relubing with synthetic motor oil they are VERY good.

Also it's 10 TIMES easier getting the rubber shields off - so I think if you prep these blue star bearings they are the ticket. Especially at 26 bearings for 20 bucks.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:13 PM
Tech Master

Patelladragger: Paying attention to the Kyosho is a good idea, Good info on the chassis weight, I have been eyeing one of those for some time
But doesnt the miss's get angry because you are spending time with another LADY

Kevin: wich hobby shop down your area cary K parts ?
I need a bigger gear selection to run those bigger tracks, and nobody has what I am looking for in my area.

My bags are packed and I just painted 2 bodies for this little trip
Old 09-15-2002, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by HEYALIGNMENTGUY
Patelladragger: Paying attention to the Kyosho is a good idea, Good info on the chassis weight, I have been eyeing one of those for some time
But doesnt the miss's get angry because you are spending time with another LADY

Kevin: wich hobby shop down your area cary K parts ?
I need a bigger gear selection to run those bigger tracks, and nobody has what I am looking for in my area.

My bags are packed and I just painted 2 bodies for this little trip
\

Patella: thanks for info on the bearings...

HAG: Try Elite hobbies in W. Covina, just a few minutes from where you'll be staying on Citrus Ave. My second choice is Pegasus hobbies in Montclair, not too far from Revelation. Call me when you get in town, if you need directions.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by kevink2
\

Patella: thanks for info on the bearings...

HAG: Try Elite hobbies in W. Covina, just a few minutes from where you'll be staying on Citrus Ave. My second choice is Pegasus hobbies in Montclair, not too far from Revelation. Call me when you get in town, if you need directions.

I will probably use up all my minutes calling you, going to be a long distant phone call, when I am in the area
Old 09-16-2002, 12:39 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Blue Star update

Originally posted by kevink2

Yeah, nothing special, no more durability...inexpensive, but still disappointing regardless. I would trade the extra resistance for lasting longer and more reliabilty, but these seem to get eaten up as easily as the stockers.
Hmmmmmm interesting. I was killing stock metal shielded Kyosho bearings super quickly. Especially in the hubs. They either shattered due to impacts or got grime in them VERY easy and became gritty. Pulling the shields off of a gas car bearings ensures you spend a LONG time maintaining your car.

My blue bearings were bought late last year some time (forget when) and they are still kicking. I have not shattered one of them and I have only cleaned them 2 times in the interim. Out of the original set only 4 have become gritty the others are perfect. But perhaps I just got a "lucky" batch.

BTW I pulled all the shields off them and cleaned them out before installing them. The shields are easy to get off and on. They are clearly smoother than the stock bearings after this treatment.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

yeah AMG mostly what I already said - once you get that heavy grease out blue-star is great. I pull the shields off one side only and when re-installing put that side towards the inside.

I've seen guys do this even with off-road buggies. If you have a jewelry cleaner and compressed air the process is very quick once the shields is off - it's only that first time getting them off that is a bear (blue star is much easier though).

Just pop them out, spray the bearings out, throw them in the jewelry cleaner for about an hour ($15 at wal-mart), spray the bearings out dry when done, and finally throw them in a bowl of the lube of your choice. I got from the MRX3 site to use synthetic mobil oil. I did this with another car and could get about a month of super-free drive-train before I needed to relube. After getting the R back together for the first time last night with this treatment I must say the improvement is incredible! The bearings are even more free with one-shield off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.