Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oversteering... why? How to control that

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 07:55 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Cartman
just adjust your droop on the rear TRUST ME!!!!
Cartman is right on the money... Limit the rear droop (say from +4 to +6) and you'll limit the weight transfer from the rear to the front.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:49 AM
Tech Elite

Default Anti Roll bar and Tires

Hello Everbody, yesterday somebody in this thread lead me to www.mytsn.com and something interest me is about anti-roll bar function. I not really firm what exactly this thing can do so I read it ... so I check my car it is more that 45° ! And I notice there is a allen screw which is to hold the anti roll effect was loose and not in function position so I tighten the screw, adjust the anti roll bar angle to 0° and....and....and... change the rear tire to form tire 37 Ellegi ! ( Which it is in my tool box so I just change it to see if there is an effect )..Surprice ..NO OVERSTEER !!!! Full speed and corner...NO OVERSTEER! Woww.....

Now... I do to many changes at one time I not really sure which is which now.. is it due to the anti-roll bar? Or the stopper screw at the antiroll bar or because of the tire! I did not test to change back the form tire to my rubber tire back again because so happy until forget about that ... I will test it this noon...
Old 04-17-2003, 12:54 AM
Tech Master

I'd say it was the tires that made the difference.

I was at a big race, not too long ago, where the Factory Team Serpent was there. They gave a handling school, and said that set the car up straight and true, then fine tune the car with the tires.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:55 AM
Tech Master

should read: " they said, to set the car up..."
Old 04-17-2003, 01:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Anti Roll bar and Tires

Originally posted by esham
Hello Everbody, yesterday somebody in this thread lead me to www.mytsn.com and something interest me is about anti-roll bar function. I not really firm what exactly this thing can do so I read it ... so I check my car it is more that 45° ! And I notice there is a allen screw which is to hold the anti roll effect was loose and not in function position so I tighten the screw, adjust the anti roll bar angle to 0° and....and....and... change the rear tire to form tire 37 Ellegi ! ( Which it is in my tool box so I just change it to see if there is an effect )..Surprice ..NO OVERSTEER !!!! Full speed and corner...NO OVERSTEER! Woww.....

Now... I do to many changes at one time I not really sure which is which now.. is it due to the anti-roll bar? Or the stopper screw at the antiroll bar or because of the tire! I did not test to change back the form tire to my rubber tire back again because so happy until forget about that ... I will test it this noon...
esham, if your front anti-roll bar was set correct the first time, then I would say that the tires made the difference. This is because, going from 45 degrees to 0 degree softens the front part, which should make your car from bad to worse in terms of oversteer...

If your front sway bar blades were not initially linked properly (same as the front sway bar not installed), then I say that the reason why your car performed well was due more to the front sway bar. Just my opinion... But I agree with theRed5 that tires are everything.

Were you using rubber tires before changing to Ellegi 37 shore foams? What is the front tires?

During this test, were you using one way front?
Old 04-17-2003, 01:59 AM
Tech Elite

Yes..theRED5 probably is the tire but I still need to do more test with changing back the rubber tire that I have problem with. Than we so to say confirm the root cause of the problem.

InitialID, I just change the rear to Ellegi 37 shore foams?. The front tire still remain the same as ore (Rubber tire Sorex 40R ). So Front is rubber, rear is foams.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:09 AM
Tech Elite

And... I 'm using front diff.

Just now during my lunch time I manage to reassembly my front one way back again and install one way spur gear at 2 spur gear changer. Going to test it today after work if its not rain!

BTW what exactly one way spur gear function? Is it will improve the performance of my car ? Actually I do have that option part sometime ago but did not have much time to assembly it.

Option part I bought it but without really know the function is. So anybody know about that part?
Old 04-17-2003, 02:39 AM
Tech Master

That servo tape thing, is that under or over the insert? Either way, with rubber tires I would advise against it. That air gap, that the servo tape was taking away, succesfully decreases traction. A larger air gap generally means more traction (unless of course the air gap is causing your tire's sidewall to collapse in a corner, but there would be a crease in the carcass to tell you of this phenomena).

I thought you were running in a rubber tire class? If you aren't, I would go with all foams all around.

Personally, I think something is messed up with your setup if you have more traction on the front end with 40R's compared to 36R's in the rear. With foams of a durometer of 37, you should have an unbelievable amount of push, and so I don't think things are quite settled in the setup department.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by esham
Yes..theRED5 probably is the tire but I still need to do more test with changing back the rubber tire that I have problem with. Than we so to say confirm the root cause of the problem.

InitialID, I just change the rear to Ellegi 37 shore foams?. The front tire still remain the same as ore (Rubber tire Sorex 40R ). So Front is rubber, rear is foams.

never never run rubber front and foam rear. allway 4 X foam or 4X rubber
Old 04-18-2003, 02:37 AM
Tech Master

A one way allows the car to roll into the corner, not scrub speed off like 2 diffs will do. With a one way, the car will not slow down as much...Use it if the track has fast turns, not tight turns.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

esham's next question will be about BRAKING using the front one way....
Old 04-18-2003, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by Cartman
just adjust your droop on the rear TRUST ME!!!!

He is correct, the fastest and easier adjustment to make is to reduce the rear droop.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:31 PM
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default oversteering

oversteering - seems like your front end has too much traction, you may want to install harder springs or try a sway bar it might cure your problem.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Default Finally no oversteer with rubber tires

Hello guys, finally I change back my rear tire with new tire. This time I didn't apply double side tape at the center of the rim and I use Sorex tire 36R with soft insert. The adjustment was
1. The tire - from double side taped rear rim to none.
2. Adjust the antiroll bar stopper from big gap to tight gap -reduce the damping ability.
3. Rear drop

So my conclusion I believe is due to the tire and the anti roll bar screw. The rest are more standard setup, harder spring in front, softer at the rear etc. Thanks everyone
Old 04-19-2003, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Default What I learned from this thread

And thanks to everyone that take part in this thread. What i learned from this thread is :-

1. Spring function
2. Anti Roll bar
3. Rear drop
4. tire
5. caster
6. Diff

That interesting isn't it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.