Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks! Kindy PM me how much it is to buy those parts to make it 81R
Old 02-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The P81 is a new platform and therefore can not be upgraded from a P8.0R 08. The P8.0 series (P8.0, P8.0R, P8.0R 08) has been around for over 3 years and although I feel it will be competitive for a while to come, the new car is essentially all new. It will share parts like shocks, belts, shafts, tank, etc., but the chassis, bulkheads, arms, and uprights are all new. If you are interested in the new car, please contact [email protected] for details.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

P81 tentative price in the US- $595. Cars should be arriving in about 3 weeks.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by garen
P81 tentative price in the US- $595. Cars should be arriving in about 3 weeks.
Good price Garen.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Suspended

very good price.....
Old 02-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

any good pics of the new car? and yes indeed thats a great price, my thoughts from last year was that was the only flaw in the old car, every place Mike and I went therer were other racers that showed some desire but just would not pony up the extra money. my hopes are the new car is as good as the old car and the price should get more racers on board. i do know once Scotty B spent some time in chi town with us and explained his thought on set up my car drove very good the rest of the year with very little set uo change from track to track. I was happy at all the big races we went to.
c ya
Randy
Old 02-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey guys....

I've been an off-road 1/8 scale guy for a while , then took some time away. I've been wanting to get into the 1/8th on-road scene and the Montonica is one of the cars i've been looking at.

I know these things are supposed to perform really well , BUT , i have a couple quick questions.

1.) what are the parts availabilty like? Are they pretty easy to come by , and which big hobby shops sells all the parts?

2.) tuneabilty.....how is it compared to a Serpent 960-966 or possibly a Mugen MRX-4 ?

3.) back to the parts question....how do they compare in price? Mugen is a lot cheaper to buy parts for than a serpent....so with the Montonica , how do they compare in price?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JEFFRO503
Hey guys....

I've been an off-road 1/8 scale guy for a while , then took some time away. I've been wanting to get into the 1/8th on-road scene and the Montonica is one of the cars i've been looking at.

I know these things are supposed to perform really well , BUT , i have a couple quick questions.

1.) what are the parts availabilty like? Are they pretty easy to come by , and which big hobby shops sells all the parts?

2.) tuneabilty.....how is it compared to a Serpent 960-966 or possibly a Mugen MRX-4 ?

3.) back to the parts question....how do they compare in price? Mugen is a lot cheaper to buy parts for than a serpent....so with the Montonica , how do they compare in price?

To answer your questions:

1- Parts are readily available. Our goal is to provide the best possible service to all Motonica owners, so if you choose to purchase a Motonica vehicle, you will receive personal attention through email, phone, this forum, and trackside whenever possible. There is a list of dealers on the website, and if you wish, you can order direct and have the parts in hand within 2 days. New dealers are going to be added soon, check the site in the coming weeks for details. Of the dealers currently listed on the site, Mico is your best shot for the new car and parts.

2- The P8.0R 08 had all the adjustments you could think of including roll center changes without the need for disassembly, blade rear bar, etc. We created setups that worked extremely well on high bite tracks (set fastest qual time at the ROAR nats) and worked equally well on low bite conditions. A common feeling among Motonica drivers was the car being very easy to drive, usually with better than average tire wear.
The new car should have all the tuning options as before, as well as wheelbase adjustment, axle height adjustment, rear centering pin height adjustment, scrub angle, front body mount position, plus the option to stiffen the chassis in various positions with the use of carbon fiber inserts.

3- Motonica parts were not the cheapest but by far not the most expensive. Overall the P8.0R 08 was very durable, the only major weakpoint being the front body mount, which was fixed by either the YBSLOW or MICO optional mount. Besides belts and gears, I did not go through a lot of front arms, bulkheads, and bumpers. I don't think I ever changed a rear bulkhead or rear upper arm, and I don't remember the last time I changed a rear lower arm. The new car looks to be even more durable, and every effort to keep spare parts prices down is being made. If you owned a P8.0R 08 Motonica is swapping out many of the plastic parts for the equivalent new parts, something no other manufacturer does.

You will be very pleased with your choice to run a Motonica.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racen4
any good pics of the new car? and yes indeed thats a great price, my thoughts from last year was that was the only flaw in the old car, every place Mike and I went therer were other racers that showed some desire but just would not pony up the extra money. my hopes are the new car is as good as the old car and the price should get more racers on board. i do know once Scotty B spent some time in chi town with us and explained his thought on set up my car drove very good the rest of the year with very little set uo change from track to track. I was happy at all the big races we went to.
c ya
Randy

Randy, you should have seen Scotty B at our Toy's for Tot's race; his first time at our track and he TQ'ed and won easily, and despite the track conditions being dramatically different from qualifying to mains, his car ran great at all times.
For photos, please see motonica.com. I am sure I will post photos here as soon as the cars arrive and I start to build one.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thank you garen for all your info! I think one of the main reasons i was drawn towards the Motonica is that there isn't all that many out there i think compared to cars like the Mugen , kyosho's and serpents. I think they are gaining popularity though. I have also heard nothing but great things about these cars. Up here in the NW , there was atime in the 1/8th offroad that everyone , and i mean EVERYONE was running a kyosho. Not me though....i decided to get a mugen because i wanted something different than what everyone else had. Besides the fact....that Motonica looks fast just sitting there and i really dig the layout and design of the P8.0R 08. I haven't looked to much into the P81 ( the new version) to much....but either way....i am leaning towards this car. Thanks again for all your help and advice!!

To answer your questions:

1- Parts are readily available. Our goal is to provide the best possible service to all Motonica owners, so if you choose to purchase a Motonica vehicle, you will receive personal attention through email, phone, this forum, and trackside whenever possible. There is a list of dealers on the website, and if you wish, you can order direct and have the parts in hand within 2 days. New dealers are going to be added soon, check the site in the coming weeks for details. Of the dealers currently listed on the site, Mico is your best shot for the new car and parts.

2- The P8.0R 08 had all the adjustments you could think of including roll center changes without the need for disassembly, blade rear bar, etc. We created setups that worked extremely well on high bite tracks (set fastest qual time at the ROAR nats) and worked equally well on low bite conditions. A common feeling among Motonica drivers was the car being very easy to drive, usually with better than average tire wear.
The new car should have all the tuning options as before, as well as wheelbase adjustment, axle height adjustment, rear centering pin height adjustment, scrub angle, front body mount position, plus the option to stiffen the chassis in various positions with the use of carbon fiber inserts.

3- Motonica parts were not the cheapest but by far not the most expensive. Overall the P8.0R 08 was very durable, the only major weakpoint being the front body mount, which was fixed by either the YBSLOW or MICO optional mount. Besides belts and gears, I did not go through a lot of front arms, bulkheads, and bumpers. I don't think I ever changed a rear bulkhead or rear upper arm, and I don't remember the last time I changed a rear lower arm. The new car looks to be even more durable, and every effort to keep spare parts prices down is being made. If you owned a P8.0R 08 Motonica is swapping out many of the plastic parts for the equivalent new parts, something no other manufacturer does.

You will be very pleased with your choice to run a Motonica.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

If you go with the P8.0R 08, we can get you all setup pretty quick as we have solid setups for it. Despite the new car coming, the old car is still highly competitive and should be for a few years to come at the very least.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

P81 parts update: Front lower arms, front upper arms, rear lower arms, and rear upper arms are the same left and right....no need to keep double the spare parts.
Also, the internal gear ratio is different...I'll update later, but the rear pulley and brake pulley are both larger and the front side pulleys are 25 and 24 instead of 25 and 26.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hello Garen,

I have spoken to a couple people at my track that also race 8th cale on-road and have heard of the Motonica car, P0.8R. From what they have said, they feel the car is very hard and difficult to work on, namely because Mugen and Serpent have made their cars much more easier to work on and setup so people spend more time racing than sitting in the pits.

Then after a few Private Messages here on the forums, I am getting the same thing about the difficulty on working with these cars. So I feel this post would be necessary to educate everyone on the new car. With the P81 car, are we to expect the same ease and user-friendliness that Mugen and Serpent offer with their new cars? Is the new P81 just as difficult to work on as the P0.8R?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Overall, the P8.0R 08 platform is actually quite easy to work on. The people you spoke to- have they built and raced a Motonica? I personally know people that have never built, driven, or worked on a Motonica and yet talk about it like they are experts on the car.
Some parts of the car take a lot less time to disassemble and reassemble (or adjust) compared to the other cars (and yes I have owned or worked on other cars) while other areas take longer. If you had to do a compelte rebuild of the P8.0R it would take approximately the same amount of time as any other car.
As far as finding a setup and the amount of time it takes to set it up; I TQ'ed my first race out with the car, and we have provided our setups to everyone who owns a Motonica car. My qual times at that first race were fast enough to put my in the top 15 at the ROAR nats at that same track just weeks before. Believe me, finding the right setup has less to do with the car and more to do with the driver. Our setups are posted on motonica-usa.com. It is no more difficult to set the droop, width, camber, caster, ride height, etc., on this car as any other car.
The new car is more conventional in design, so yes it will be more inline with the other brands in terms of 'user-friendly-ness'. I wonder what these other racers will come up with this time.....
Old 03-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Overall, the P8.0R 08 platform is actually quite easy to work on. The people you spoke to- have they built and raced a Motonica? I personally know people that have never built, driven, or worked on a Motonica and yet talk about it like they are experts on the car.
Some parts of the car take a lot less time to disassemble and reassemble (or adjust) compared to the other cars (and yes I have owned or worked on other cars) while other areas take longer. If you had to do a compelte rebuild of the P8.0R it would take approximately the same amount of time as any other car.
As far as finding a setup and the amount of time it takes to set it up; I TQ'ed my first race out with the car, and we have provided our setups to everyone who owns a Motonica car. My qual times at that first race were fast enough to put my in the top 15 at the ROAR nats at that same track just weeks before. Believe me, finding the right setup has less to do with the car and more to do with the driver. Our setups are posted on motonica-usa.com. It is no more difficult to set the droop, width, camber, caster, ride height, etc., on this car as any other car.
The new car is more conventional in design, so yes it will be more inline with the other brands in terms of 'user-friendly-ness'. I wonder what these other racers will come up with this time.....
Thank you Garen.

I figured a more authoritative word from a distributor of these fine cars would help lull the rumors spreading about this car (eventhough the new version is not even out yet).

Now, here is a new question from a person I will call S (he knows who he is ) who said the following; "The reason why people prefer the Mugen or Serpent is because of the excellent quality of the build instructions. They are well written and even have your car setup well enough to drop on the track and drive while allowing you to learn what you need to do to further enhance its handling." I dismissed this as an "ID 10 T" question, but it seems that it was shared by a few others. Again, this was based off the older car and they are assuming it is tied with the new P81. The reason why I chose to display this question is thus; I owned an electric car that was built to the instruction manual's specs to the T. However, on power, the car would spin out in and out of turns and did not allow me to learn what was exactly wrong with the car. As soon as the fish tailing issue was dealt with, something else was wrong with the car and it just got worse and worse from there.

Can we expect the Motonica P8.0R 08 and P81 to be a car that will have build instructions that allow the car to "drive" well enough to learn more about the car?

That is about it in terms of speculation and rumor that I have heard. Thank you for your insight Garen and continued response/support.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.