Wiki Posts
Search

Super Size discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Default stock engine and its a total dog

topslop1;

The Stock 15FE can actually be made to perform quite well, but if you have to buy everything new the cost exceeds that of a Brand New Engine.

Top 3 performance increases for the HPI 15FE: (in order of cost)

1) Remove the pull start mechanism (an O.S CV backplate will fit)

2) Install lightened Flywheel

3) Install 2 needle Carb (HPI, O.S. or Traxxas)

Otherwise, a Race bred Engine would be the best choice.

I really miss racing my Super. Sure was fun when all of my Friends took them to the tracks. Some of the best racing ever.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:00 PM
Tech Initiate

I'll keep that in mind but I think I'd rather grab myself a race bred engine. I'll probably end up throwing the .15fe on my older team losi nxt if that's possible. Maybe sell the .12 os that i have sitting on the truck.

Also - how much would the .15fe sell for? I ran one gallon through the engine including break in and it has minor scratches on the top of the head.

What's the deal with rotary / slide carbs? whats the difference between the two? and what type of fuel do novarossi's usually run on ?

Last edited by topslop1; 08-26-2003 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by topslop1
Heya, I own a SN as well and I have it setup with the Toyota GT-1 body and a 300mm wheelbase. I run the car on an oval every sunday and the group of guys that I'm with are a little more relaxed and not super competetive which allows for a fun atmosphere. Anyhow, I was wondering if I should switch the car over to the 280mm wheelbase and use one of the BMW bodies. This would give sharper turning right? Are most of you guys running 280mm ? Also I'm still using the stock engine and its a total dog. I'm looking for a new engine and I don't know if I'm better off with either a MT 12 - I have a chance to buy one that's new for only $130 or if I should go for a bigger sized engine, like a .15 picco or even a .21. The Nova's put out around the same horsepower as the bigger engines, so that's why I'm kind of confused on what to do.
Get the MT-12 you can't go wrong, tons of power and relatively easy to tune. I would go with the 280 wheelbase with the BMW body.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Would I be able to use the GT-1 body with the 280mm wheelbase and the MT12 that i'm getting is a rotary carb -- is there a big difference between rotary and slide? I heard that slide is better for onroad.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Would I be able to use the GT-1 body with the 280mm wheelbase and the MT12 that i'm getting is a rotary carb -- is there a big difference between rotary and slide? I heard that slide is better for onroad.
I have only used the BMW body and that's it. The reason I used this body is because it handles really well. Slide carb is good the only thing is with the Super it is kind of hokey setup when you use the slide card.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

See the slide carb pic. You have to bend the arm to fit around the carb opening.
Attached Thumbnails Super Size discussion-bodyoff2.jpg  
Old 08-26-2003, 05:40 PM
Tech Initiate

I see, but what are the benefits to slide versus rotary.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yeh Pops.. I miss racing mine too. We have lost our Nitro track in the area.. So I have to wait to run the car.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: stock engine and its a total dog

Originally posted by popsracer
topslop1;

The Stock 15FE can actually be made to perform quite well, but if you have to buy everything new the cost exceeds that of a Brand New Engine.

Top 3 performance increases for the HPI 15FE: (in order of cost)

1) Remove the pull start mechanism (an O.S CV backplate will fit)

2) Install lightened Flywheel

3) Install 2 needle Carb (HPI, O.S. or Traxxas)

Otherwise, a Race bred Engine would be the best choice.

I really miss racing my Super. Sure was fun when all of my Friends took them to the tracks. Some of the best racing ever.

go buy another one....I just got done at the NJ HPI challenge...

Driving those supers are an absolute blast....
Old 08-26-2003, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Default Slide Carb linkage

I only remember having to go around the front of the Carb on my O.S. Engines.

All of my other Engines the linkage fit straight off the Servo Arm, albeit very short, they worked without any problems.

Slide Carb offers greater accelleration because of the cleaner airflow through the slide.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Would you guys reccomend getting the gear first or throwing in a new engine? I want to grab a temp gun and a startbox but at nearly the same cost I could get myself a newer engine to really start tearing on the other guys at my track.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Slide Carb linkage

Originally posted by popsracer
I only remember having to go around the front of the Carb on my O.S. Engines.

All of my other Engines the linkage fit straight off the Servo Arm, albeit very short, they worked without any problems.

Slide Carb offers greater accelleration because of the cleaner airflow through the slide.
That's what I have an OS 15CVR.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

Would you guys reccomend getting the gear first or throwing in a new engine? I want to grab a temp gun and a startbox but at nearly the same cost I could get myself a newer engine to really start tearing on the other guys at my track.
If you get a MT-12 then you will need a starter box. I maybe wrong but the MT-12 doesn't come as a pull start motor.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Yes, you are right that it needs a starter. Ever seen anyone hand turn it to get it started?
Old 08-27-2003, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Default topslop1;

Unless you LIKE having to pullstart your Engine, get the Starter Box first.

You can use the Starter Box with just about any Engine/Car you choose to buy in the future, will work with what you're running now and is a very worthwhile investment if you plan on staying in the hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.