Wiki Posts
Search

Shore rating and picking the correct one

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Shore rating and picking the correct one

Alright, last year, I ran electric touring with a XXXS, we were allowed to run Foams as there was no tire restrictions.
This year however, I am running nitro, and I assume with more HP, and highspeeds, that tire choice will be a little more crucial for keeping the car planted, as well as lasting longer mains.

I run on a parking lot track, its quite large, with a lot of twisty stuff, but a large straight as well.
I would say that its a low to medium bite track, as we do not treat it before a race.
I was curious on what steps I would take to finding the correct shore rating.

I did pit work for a racer that I would travel with, and with that, I was constantly taking temps of various items.
I would take track temps every once in a while, just to see what kind of temps we were running.

the avg. track temp would be 112F on a cooler day, and 119-123 is about the hottest I ever scoped it at.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a good starting point at what tire I should run.

and I use Ellegi, Speedmind and Jaco foams.

TIA
Nate
Old 03-02-2003, 04:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

I know the tc3 likes a little softer tire when it comes to a low-mid traction. I think with those type of temps that you posted you may want to start with 42 fr/rr and get a set 40 ff/rr. I feel that is a good starting base. But since you are running the Jaco's I think they durometer different. I don't use them, but I know of tc3's around here do. Even though you guys don't treat the surface, is it clean(meaning blown off) from dust/dirt? That will make a huge difference in the tire choice. If it is you might find that the surface will bring up the oils in the track(like nascar-hot days they are alwaysfighting a push just like today) and you might need the 40's instead. I would try 45 and 42 though and try to get it hooked up with as hard of a tire as [possible(less tire wear).\

Just my 2cents, but I'm sure people will disagree w/me.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

forgot to mention that im going to be running a NTC3 with a few chassis mods.

the tires that I have already:

Ellegi 30, 32, 35
speedmind 37, 40, 42, 45
Jaco 42, 45