Search
Like Tree18Likes

Xray NT1

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teamgp
I tested with one this past weekend and all I can say is MORE steering...
With other cars you've driven, would your first choice to get more steering be to add weight upfront like that?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
With other cars you've driven, would your first choice to get more steering be to add weight upfront like that?
Not quite. It's best to put the weight up front, but behind the front axle. However, with the NT1 having so much weight in the rear (motor), you don't have to worry so much about the pendulum effect of the weight in front of the front axle. With an electric car, the extra weight would cause the car to see-saw over the front axle and induce abrupt oversteer.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Anyone know where I can pick up a Max Power engine in the U.S.?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by teamgp
Not quite. It's best to put the weight up front, but behind the front axle. However, with the NT1 having so much weight in the rear (motor), you don't have to worry so much about the pendulum effect of the weight in front of the front axle. With an electric car, the extra weight would cause the car to see-saw over the front axle and induce abrupt oversteer.
Interesting. Thanks

I went back and read Mr. Hudy's bit on the hard bumper (here) and he does state that he chose the lightweight bumper so that it doesn't influence the handling of the car, but he also stated that some guys don't use the foam bumper at all (?), which would mean that they lightened the front end by 11.5 grams.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RoNTC3
Nice stuff from 3Racing
I've never seen any of the 3racing stuff. What's wrong with it?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SlamMan
I've never seen any of the 3racing stuff. What's wrong with it?
There has been quite a bit of feedback, that the quality of 3Racing's drivetrain components are not very good. Word is they break. Other things that don't revolve around it's own axis are very reliable. And of course, some of it is just bling.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Apex
Apex
call Chris at his shop

hey guys
just putting a heavy front bumper will give me more steering ..... man i need to find out how i'm gonna put my battery pack upfront
Old 06-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Interesting. Thanks

I went back and read Mr. Hudy's bit on the hard bumper (here) and he does state that he chose the lightweight bumper so that it doesn't influence the handling of the car, but he also stated that some guys don't use the foam bumper at all (?), which would mean that they lightened the front end by 11.5 grams.
Indeed, many top European drivers I see over here do not use foam bumpers, they prefer to use the Lola types whether its for the G4S, G4+, MTX4, RRR or the 720.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

RC America
Old 06-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Interesting. Thanks

Actually, the reason behind not running a foam bumper probably has nothing to do with saving weight...in electric TC on rubber tires, a lot of pros cut the ends off their foam bumper because it gives you more steering by (somehow) changing the airflow under the car and in front of the tires. They leave only a tiny block of foam to support the front of the body.
I didn't really buy into the theory when someone first told me, but that all changed when I tried it myself on my electric car - it makes an amazing difference, especially at high speeds. It's one of those few changes you can make to the front end that doesn't have a counter effect on the rear end!
Old 06-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

http://ashfordhobby.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=6

I'm dying to race the NT1 again. Too many hours of clinical studies lately. One more month, and I get a month off. I'm steady reading the thread here though. At least I get internet at the hospital
Old 06-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

It's a little bit cheaper at Brooklyn Hobbies:
http://www.brooklynhobbies.com/index...S&Category=171

Man, this stuff is expensive - but I guess it's worth it.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Sow&Steady
Indeed, many top European drivers I see over here do not use foam bumpers, they prefer to use the Lola types whether its for the G4S, G4+, MTX4, RRR or the 720.
I'm using wide bumper on Nt1 with no foam bumper and it has additional 12grams than the standard bumper + foam
Old 06-27-2007, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by daniz24
I'm using wide bumper on Nt1 with no foam bumper and it has additional 12grams than the standard bumper + foam
Like Nexus says, these guys (you included) run the wide/Lola not to save weight but more for aero performance.

If removing the foam bumper is to save weight why even bother with the wide bumper because it does nothing to help much if you crash ... I've seen a touring shell with the front completely concaved-in after just a small coming together with another car. I guess that's also why pros can do without the foam, they HARDLY ever come together with another object!
Old 06-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's a little bit cheaper at Brooklyn Hobbies:
http://www.brooklynhobbies.com/index...S&Category=171

Man, this stuff is expensive - but I guess it's worth it.
you are going to want to get the .12 sl3 that is the engine all of us are running it is very fast and consistant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.