Tech Adept

any one wanna trade their yokomo gt4 for a nice mugen mtx-2
email me at [email protected]

thanks
Old 09-05-2001, 07:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Cool

Yokomo GT4WR.

In the Works Jaco 1/10 pan car tire conversion for the GT4.

Old 09-08-2001, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

club race at camarillo tomorrow 9:00AM sign ups $10 for members and $7 for members.
Old 10-04-2001, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Hey TambokGT

Can I sign up as that member instead of this member? Cause that member only pays $7 and this member has to pay $10. J/K

Sorry I couldn't help it.
Old 10-05-2001, 09:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default camarillo track?

hey all!

can anyone give me the name and number of that track in camarillo y'all are talking about? i'm down in so cal., but i'm willing to drive a ways just to peep a different spot. crystal park is real nice, but i'd still like to try a new track.
Old 10-05-2001, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

CALL HOBBYPEOPLE CAMARILLO most of the guys that work there are club members
Old 10-05-2001, 10:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Check this out!

This is a first glimpse of Yokomo's GTR RTR and the Veilside RX-7 body. This is the same RX-7 that was featured in The Fast and the Furious.
Old 10-06-2001, 10:43 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Talking

Muhaha! Believe or not, it comes with a .18 engine. LOL

Oh, for newbies, stay away from the GT4 RTR, its not as forgiving as cars like the HPI NRS4, etc.
Old 10-06-2001, 10:51 PM
Tech Rookie

hmm....
A race car for nearly the same price as an entry-level. Its parts are more durable, and it has a much more powerful engine.

What makes the HPI a better choice in your mind?
Old 10-07-2001, 04:04 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

How much is the GT4 RTR going for?

There is no way the GT4 is more durable than an HPI. I've done a lot of crazy stuff to a NRS4 when I first entered the hobby (thank god my neighbor was a pretty cool guy.) I've gotten better over time but the Yokomo is more easier to damage than an HPI NRS4. Believe me, I own a GT4 myself.

And the RTR kits are generally aimed at beginners... Faster speeds with a less durable car can spell disaster.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-07-2001, 04:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Dan
How much is the GT4 RTR going for?

There is no way the GT4 is more durable than an HPI. I've done a lot of crazy stuff to a NRS4 when I first entered the hobby (thank god my neighbor was a pretty cool guy.) I've gotten better over time but the Yokomo is more easier to damage than an HPI NRS4. Believe me, I own a GT4 myself.

And the RTR kits are generally aimed at beginners... Faster speeds with a less durable car can spell disaster.

Just my 2 cents.
i stand behind him after on bash his gt4 was like woah my car nothing wrong *hpi* his car had a front pully damage and couldnt get the new part like a month later?.. anyways if u wanna bash hpi is good if u wanna race gt4 mtx2 impulse or voner there all good
hpi great for beginner
Old 10-07-2001, 04:26 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Originally posted by NItRO PuPS

i stand behind him after on bash his gt4 was like woah my car nothing wrong *hpi* his car had a front pully damage and couldnt get the new part like a month later?.. anyways if u wanna bash hpi is good if u wanna race gt4 mtx2 impulse or voner there all good
hpi great for beginner
One month? Nah, Lawrence told me the part was discontinued. But got it a little over a week after I special ordered it when Terrence was there.

Anyways, yeah, the GT4 handles great. (Can't get it hooked up at Delta for some reason.) Still running on a slightly tweaked chassis though until Sherman come back with my new chassis.
Old 10-07-2001, 07:04 PM
Tech Rookie

I want to be honest here and let it be known that I am biased. I have known many Yokomo employees for a long time and was hosted by them when I visited Japan. That being said I hope I can make some valid points here;

There is no question that the RS4 is a much simpler design as compared to the racer type Kyosho, Serpent and Yokomo design. While the RS4 uses parts based off it's original electric cars, the race type cars feature very similar designs that are akin to 1/8th scale cars. These 1/8th scale cues are made to improve the handling, tunability, and most importantly durability of the car. Case in point, the use of double front arms. Look at the suspension components and it is clear that they are far more durable than an HPI. Additional features such as a thicker chassis can only further support the claim that a car such as the GT4 would better handle abuse.

From a value perspective, the GT4 is a proven racer (it is the US, Canadian, British and South African National Champion), whereas the HPI is an admitted entry level car. Buy an HPI and you may buy twice.

It should also be noted that any car will suffer damage in a bad enough accident. I am sure GT4's have had a few broken parts before, but nothing compared to what shop owners have told me about HPI's.

I hope that supports my claim.

One last FYI.. the RTR will be about $350 with the 2-speed.
Old 10-07-2001, 08:50 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

If you look at my first post, I mentioned for newbies to stay away from the GT4 RTR. Thats why I recommended HPI NRS4's to newbies. They are, as you stated, much simpler. Most newbies will not know how camber, caster, toe, and spring rates affect a car in handling. Thats why its easier for a newbie to start off with an HPI and learn the basics and in their future choice, upgrade to a better car as their driving skill progresses and excels. When they have better driving skills, they hit the boards less and don't have to worry if the parts are slightly weaker.

Do you have a GT4? I still say it is not as durable as an HPI NRS4. Just read the past GT4 topics in the Yokomo forum. http://www.yokomousa.com We got all sorts of problem to work out with the car. It handles well but it still has some bugs that Yokomo needs to work out. I will be more than happy to name some GT4 problems that many other GT4 owners have had.

But if a certain driver has good driving skills, knows how to setup a car, and can exploit the GT4's fullest capabilities, then by all means, he is much better off with a GT4.

I guess you misunderstood me on my perspective of this topic. No hard feelings taken.
Old 10-07-2001, 11:43 PM
Tech Rookie

K, first off, I just wanted to let you know that I respect your comments and don't want you to take my responses as anything other than a civil debate.

that said...

the "problems" with the GT4 that I am aware of had always been around the fuel tank. Yokomo admitted that they can crack and leak, and has since updated the design. Unfrotunatly, replacement tanks have been in short supply leaving some customers a little unhappy. This problem, that was since rectified, was the only "bug" that I can think of. (FYI, all kits now include new tank)

The other debates taking place seem to be over the cluth and the possible adaptation of a centax unit. With high power engines it does seem to have its advantages, but the many titles the car has won are all with the standard unit.

I checked Yokomousa.com and found that these are the only real issues taking place. Some customers are complaining about the low cg mounts, but this is their fault for not using the smaller flywheel and machined chassis. BTW, this is a noted requirment when using the low CG mounts.

Otherwise, I am only hearing good things about the car. It is obviously competitive and other people rave about it's durability. This is why I am curios about your input.... to get another side to the story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.