Wiki Posts
Search

Integy tire truer..........

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JetMD
Thanks for the fast response and quick pics. I'll let him know you referred him. Really appreciate it.
The hardest part is getting the original Dean's plugs off the PCB board. Use a nice fine tip 80W iron and it should work out OK. Anything much less than 80W and one side of the connector will cool off before you heat up the other side- it's kinda like putting Dean's an a battery pack. I didn't even need to remove the board from the case. The back of the Dean's are accessable without doing so.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCRjuanabbe
Taylorm, you did not mention about the money issue, t
-A money issue in 1/8th scale?? Didn't know there was such a thing. Just kidding. The only person in my house with a money issue may be the wife. I' ll probably just go for the Hudy in the end. Maybe i can charge the guys at the track to true that smoke me
Old 11-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Taylorm
-A money issue in 1/8th scale?? Didn't know there was such a thing. Just kidding. The only person in my house with a money issue may be the wife. I' ll probably just go for the Hudy in the end. Maybe i can charge the guys at the track to true that smoke me
Like I said I have 2 hudy's, one for 10th and one for 1/8 scale (Too lazy to change arbors) Anyway these bad boys are the cream of the crop. You won't be disappointed ever by this small investment. Enjoy!!
Old 11-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Taylorm

You got me confused there for a minute. I assumed incorrectly. I thought you are having doubt on spending that kind of money for a truer..

Since you put it that way, go for the Hudy my friend.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cdelong
Here's the modded pics:

#1) There's no way the dinky Integy motor compares to the Hudy

#2). Here's the PCB work I had to do.... the Integy motor and main power originally used deans connectors, of which the female half was soldered to the PCB board and the male half plugged into them. The Dean's connectors would not clear the Hudy motor. I hard wired the motor and main power coming in directly to the PCB board instead of using the Dean's connectors. I recommend tinning the wires at a 90 degree angle before hard wiring them to the PCB.... it's that tight!!

#3). Here's the Borg warner 30 amp circuit breaker. The original fuse connector can be tucked behind the motor, but it will have to be inside the case. I used this circuit breaker because it is self resetting after 30 seconds, so there is no need to open the c ase to change the fuse. It is epoxied to the upper case above the motor.

#4). Here's the back of the case. On/Off switch had to be turned upside down to clear the motor. I aslo put an undercoating plug in the hole where the original fuse was to keep the clean look.
Did this mod to my truer yesterday. The Hudy motor is HUGE! It did take a bit of modifying to shoe-horn that in there but the results are amazing. The truer is a beast now. I actually cut off too much by accident. Used to be that wasn't even possible because it could only do nice cuts .5 mm at a time. It's like a new, truer. Highly recommend this mod to anyone.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I agree, this mod is excellent. I have about $250 in the truer now, with the hudy motor and bit.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:46 AM
Tech Master

I got this bit with my truer and i've had bad luck with it. I don't know what brand it is but it looks exactly like the picture of the hudy bit. I've experimented with different speeds, fwd, reverse, even flipped it over but the same thing always happens (even with my new hudy motor). It cuts grooves in the tires. I haven't had any problem with the saw blade, just this one. It's like only 2 teeth are touching the tire or something. Any idea what i'm doing wrong? Maybe the bit is junk?
Attached Thumbnails Integy tire truer..........-hud102067.jpg  
Old 03-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

cut slow.... just because you can do 4mm now in one pass don't do it. make a maximum of 2mm- 3mm rough passes and do so on the lowest speed. make your last cut 1mm or less for a perfect finish. i true with the tire rotating towards me and the center of the blade slightly above level.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:38 AM
Tech Master

Yep, I did cut slow, maybe 2mm on slowest speed and it puts a groove all the way down the tire. Imagine just one tooth touching the tire. It's crazy. I think the bit is junk and i'm going to order a new one.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The less you cut the better the finish and the less strain on the motor. I have the hudy bit on the integy and its been nothing but wonderful.

I did however pick up a used ofna that should be on its way to me. From there I decide which is better then go from there. Ill have to try the hudy motor though if I decide to stick with the integy.

Good write-up cdelong!