Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 720

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sow&Steady
Maybe I'm missing something ... I see a lot of posts about having a loose rear end for the 720. I built my car in a hurry and then went to the track straight after with stock set-up, all 40s tyres, no bodyshell and I found the car planted. Just watch this video! The track wasn't exactly clean and yet the car was fine.

Now with a bodyshell on I find that its even more planted in the rear to the point I'm understeering a bit and have cured it simply by either using 37F and 40R or 40F and 42R.

Maybe the tracks you guys are testing on are car-park tracks and therefore dusty?
The balance of the car (any car for that matter) will depend a lot on the track surface. Not only the grip itself but also the makup of the asphalt. Our track in Heemstede is known for causing turn in oversteer. Even though it does not create a lot of steering. Diff setup can change the balance big time. Also roll centers (especially the front one) has quite a large influence on response.

Also some complaints about understeer are caused by the rear havingmore grip on this car. In many cases people are faster, their cornerspeed has increased, but because the car feels so planted they "feel" a lack of steering. It does mean you could use softer front tires to get more steering without making the car more difficult.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Default setup

On www.3hobby.net you'll find my setup from the GP in Heemstede. Apart from the funky tire shores (for long final) which I suggest changing for same left and right (keep the on step difference front/rear though!) it's a good starting point.

Let me know what you think. We are looking for feedback from racers to improve the stock setup as well.

The setup is also on MyTSN, but in a form designed for the 710.... So you need to read carefully... http://www.mytsn.com/setups/setup.asp?sid=3065
Old 08-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by aaalp
Why bother with an additional transponder mount if you can install the transponder on the noseplate 803146? I don't get it.
http://www.mytsn.com/products/product.asp?prid=4298
I could but the cord is not long enough so extention is needed.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Tech Adept

Default 720 Set Up

Originally Posted by Julius
The setup is also on MyTSN, but in a form designed for the 710.... So you need to read carefully... http://www.mytsn.com/setups/setup.asp?sid=3065

Julius, can you please explain how you measure the "wing 5mm back" in your Set Up from the Heemstede.

Thanks

RCPANAMA
Old 08-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcpanama
Julius, can you please explain how you measure the "wing 5mm back" in your Set Up from the Heemstede.

Thanks

RCPANAMA
Iff you look at the stratus wing you'll se there are "notches in the underside that match up with the studs on the body. I mounted the wing so the notches are 5mm back from exactly lining up.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Will there be setup database for 720 ?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:17 AM
Tech Adept

We've noticed in high temps the fit of the pivot balls could be tighter. we'll adress this as soon as possible. For the moment thread tape (teflon plumbers tape) should be a fix.

I agree with your idea to run harder front and softer rear oil. I'd suggest about 80k front (100k might take away too much steering) and 20k rear. Running front and rear shocks in the lowest tower holes will improve handling as well.
Thanks Julius.

Gonna give it a try this weekend on a track that has allot of fast corners and some engine breaking straights . Diff oil choice will be a major factor to get the car balanced.

I agree, its all about balance. Regarding your reply about having too much rear grip - leads to understeer - 100% correct. Many times, after changing setup, the car had allot more in the corners - allot more corner speed.

Acid
Old 08-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Tech Adept

Default Measurements

Hi Guys

There is something that I suffer with when it comes to 710/720. In the instruction manual, the book says to make the front top 17mm and the bottom 16.5mm. From the point the plastic arm ends to the outside of the turning block.

Can someone please tell me how you guys measure this as I suffer to get accurate measurements. Even using a vernier calliper.... my problem is... how do you know your measuring tool is sitting flush with the plastic part?

Anyone got a trick to get accurate measurements?

Acid
Old 08-10-2006, 03:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Acid
Hi Guys

There is something that I suffer with when it comes to 710/720. In the instruction manual, the book says to make the front top 17mm and the bottom 16.5mm. From the point the plastic arm ends to the outside of the turning block.

Can someone please tell me how you guys measure this as I suffer to get accurate measurements. Even using a vernier calliper.... my problem is... how do you know your measuring tool is sitting flush with the plastic part?

Anyone got a trick to get accurate measurements?

Acid

Don't measure it there.. just measure the complete arm. Put the rims on and measure it from the center of the chassis to the inside of the wheel, or from the side of the chassis to the inside of the wheel.

Last edited by _cyclops_; 08-10-2006 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by _cyclops_
Don't measure it there.. just measure the complete arm from the chassis. Put the rims on and measure it from the center of the chassis to the inside of the wheel, or from the side of the chassis to the inside of the wheel.
Thanks man... will give it a try

Acid
Old 08-10-2006, 03:10 AM
Tech Elite

The balance of the car (any car for that matter) will depend a lot on the track surface. Not only the grip itself but also the makup of the asphalt. Our track in Heemstede is known for causing turn in oversteer. Even though it does not create a lot of steering. Diff setup can change the balance big time. Also roll centers (especially the front one) has quite a large influence on response.
I remember having lots of problems with the 710 in the mickey corners, maybe that was it ... turn-in oversteer.

Also some complaints about understeer are caused by the rear havingmore grip on this car. In many cases people are faster, their cornerspeed has increased, but because the car feels so planted they "feel" a lack of steering. It does mean you could use softer front tires to get more steering without making the car more difficult.
Agreed, like you said I've found the car to prefer softer fronts. I've always noticed that top drivers have their tyres that way anyway with the 710 but I never managed to get the setup right to make it work. Now with the 720 it just works!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:32 AM
Tech Adept

Iff you look at the stratus wing you'll se there are "notches in the underside that match up with the studs on the body. I mounted the wing so the notches are 5mm back from exactly lining up.
Thanks Julius
Old 08-10-2006, 07:00 PM
rfy
Tech Apprentice

Hi Julius.. does the long servo saver arm from the 710 fit the 720.. i need more steering throw for our small, smooth, high bite track here in the Philippines.. my max throw measured from the outer tire is 14 deg as against other kits at 18 (left turn - right tire and vice versa)
Old 08-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rfy
Hi Julius.. does the long servo saver arm from the 710 fit the 720.. i need more steering throw for our small, smooth, high bite track here in the Philippines.. my max throw measured from the outer tire is 14 deg as against other kits at 18 (left turn - right tire and vice versa)
Papasok sa 720 ng walang problema yun mahaba na servo saver arm
Old 08-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello all,

Complete Serpent 720 assembly review is now available on the RC Infos online magazine.

There is more than 150 pictures of the Serpent 720.

So, don't wait anymore, and go to RC Infos !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.