Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 720

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Ok, different way of explaining:

Take your car with the 3rd one way installed, apply a little brake and lift the rear wheels off the ground. Now roll the car forward. You will feel braking action. If you still don't believe me I quit
Old 03-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

julius
you did a very good job of answering the questions that guys had
so smile its ok
Old 03-02-2007, 07:46 PM
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Julius,
I would like to say thank you from the Serpent drivers for your excellent explanations on how this and other improvments that come out can assist with making our cars not only faster but also more consistent.

Regards
Simon
Old 03-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Tomorrow I will be breaking in my 720. I can't wait!! Guys do you think I should sell my 710 and get a second 720 ? I'm getting the itch badly!!
Old 03-03-2007, 02:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Julius
No you're not missing anything. It works just as I said. When you lock the brake the front wheels cannot turn forward.

Now, what makes the front wheels turn when you are braking anyway? The track! The front wheels are rolling forward aren't they? So that means they will apply force to the brake disk via the one way.
i get that its the bit that effects the one way and wheels locking before the front brakes??
Old 03-03-2007, 02:40 AM
Tech Master

Guys thanks for the kind words. I was only joking. I do not get tired of answering questions. It's always a nice challenge to provide answers that work for everyone.

The thing with the one-way making it complicated is that it seems to work different under power and during braking. Actually it is not the one-way that works different, its the way the drivetrain is powered.

During acceleration you need to look at everything starting from the 2speed axle.
Under braking you need to look at the wheels as the driving force for the transmission. Start from there and work you r way back to the 2 speed.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Julius,
I think that most people understand your explanation. I went so far as to draw a schematic for my better understanding. The total point of the one way is: No binding in the front drive belt and more even power distribution even after uneven tire wear. It will also cancel out the twitchiness after coming out of a turn and getting on power.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Ok, different way of explaining:

Take your car with the 3rd one way installed, apply a little brake and lift the rear wheels off the ground. Now roll the car forward. You will feel braking action. If you still don't believe me I quit
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I think the reason some people here are getting confused the way Julius is explaining thins is that by saying "3rd one-way" most assume the car (or example) in question has a front one-way installed, the two-speed has a one-way (no choice) and the 3rd one-way is installed.

What Julius pointed out in the post before this one makes sense ... if the front has a diff or is solid and you apply your brakes, the front locks up when the car is on the box. On the road though the track forces the front tyres to turn dues to momentum, which translates the force onto the mid-belt which then translates onto the rear shaft. With the 3rd one-way installed, this shaft is not "dragged" by the rear tyres but instead turns freely.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER
Julius,
I think that most people understand your explanation. I went so far as to draw a schematic for my better understanding. The total point of the one way is: No binding in the front drive belt and more even power distribution even after uneven tire wear. It will also cancel out the twitchiness after coming out of a turn and getting on power.
Share the drawing with us please.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by B4
Julius,
I would like to say thank you from the Serpent drivers for your excellent explanations on how this and other improvments that come out can assist with making our cars not only faster but also more consistent.

Regards
Simon
I'll second that!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER
Tomorrow I will be breaking in my 720. I can't wait!! Guys do you think I should sell my 710 and get a second 720 ? I'm getting the itch badly!!
No, follow me ... keep the 710 AND get the second 720 anyways.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Guys thanks for the kind words. I was only joking. I do not get tired of answering questions. It's always a nice challenge to provide answers that work for everyone.

The thing with the one-way making it complicated is that it seems to work different under power and during braking. Actually it is not the one-way that works different, its the way the drivetrain is powered.

During acceleration you need to look at everything starting from the 2speed axle.
Under braking you need to look at the wheels as the driving force for the transmission. Start from there and work you r way back to the 2 speed.
So it seems that the only real disadvantage at this point is you lose some steering at corner entry correct? Or does that also depend on wheter or not you use a spool or a one way in the front?
Old 03-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

most guys are just not catching on with how the oneway free up the drive train off power and that the 3rd oneway help to stop tire srubb.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Killa G
So it seems that the only real disadvantage at this point is you lose some steering at corner entry correct? Or does that also depend on wheter or not you use a spool or a one way in the front?
killa g i think it more of learning to drive with that option and then setting the car up for you
Old 03-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Killa G
You do not lose steering at corner entry. Only because the one way helps to remove the drag in the drivetrain, the car will slow down less when you let off the throttle. That means you may find yourself using the brake more.

Or you can change the setup to be more agressive at corner entry.

Because in the beginning you need to get used to the free roll in the car you might interpret it as losing steering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.