Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR 2006 'Open' Fuel Nationals Cincinnati, OH

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by sedanaddict
i am not going to re post all that rules crap that every roar member has in their book.
what is your point anyway?
i have plenty of cause to jump down your throat. you come on this board making accusations about things that you know nothing about, you ask for resignation of roar officials, you say you have "video verification" of things that don't exist, you accuse the club of not following roar rules and in general stirring up crap that dosen't involve you. since you were just a spectator why don't you act like one and mind your own buisness.
I am a paying member of Roar and it is my right to voice my opinion. I did not ask for their resignation. I said they have no balls. I will use my right to also vote for a better representative of the racing community and not re-elect the current officials. I never accused the club of anything. The only ones not following the rules was the ROAR officials. I heard, while at the event, that there was a video that verified the jumpstarts. That's it. I repeated it - never said that I saw it or had it. I think before you comment on anything else you think I have to say or may have said, you should calm down and stop making a fool of yourself.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Tech Addict

Josh was up on the driver's stand, and is sure he is right, that Jared jumped the start.

Bob's camera recorded the sound of the horn, and the video of the car starting to move. Bob's camera recorded the sound .001 seconds before the car started to move.

I need to figure out where the speakers were, as in distances from the drivers, and from Bob's camera. Maybe the speed of sound being slower than the speed of light is what is causing the discrepancy. Perhaps both Josh *and* Bob are right?

That might explain the car moving "before" the sound was heard, either to Josh or to the camera? Something to think about. 0.001 seconds is a very small piece of time. It will take me a few minutes, but I wonder how far sound travels in that short a time?
Old 10-10-2006, 01:00 PM
Tech Addict

The speed of sound at seventy degrees Farenheit is 1129 feet per second. Let’s round it off to 1130 feet. That’s 113 feet in .1 seconds, 11 feet in .01 seconds, and 1 foot in .001 seconds. Depending on how far Josh and Bob’s camera were from the closest speaker, that might explain the problem. If Bob’s camera were closer to a speaker than Josh was, Josh is almost certainly right, Jared jumped the start. If Josh were closer than Bob, then it would be otherwise. This might be why each of them is certain of what they “know”, and they’re both right, based on how close they were to the speaker!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Tech Adept

As silly as I think this whole discussion is, I think that Jarrod did jump the start...but just barely. If you start the video and pause it immediately, if your timing is right you will see Jared's car start to move. Then when you play from there, the horn goes off after his car moves about 3 INCHES, that's it! But...sh*t happens, that's racing. I've had the same type of thing happen to me many times while racing and, although those races weren't nearly as big as this one, you just have to deal with it. It's not like you can go back in time and change things, whether it be Cyruls reaction time, the angle of Cyruls car, or Jared's reaction time. We learn from our mistakes, I know I've learned from mine...
Old 10-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Tech Adept

This is so STUPID! Now we're measuring the speed of sound to figure out if someone jumped the start, what's this world coming to??? You people are starting to scare me...
Old 10-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Congrats to Ralph and Mark.

Catch everyone at the next race where ever that may be.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Luke W
This is so STUPID! Now we're measuring the speed of sound to figure out if someone jumped the start, what's this world coming to??? You people are starting to scare me...

I DON'T CARE WHO YA ARR, DAT DARE IS FUNNY!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Tech Initiate

This should cover everything from here out.LoL

Old 10-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mccoop
This should cover everything from here out.LoL

Yeah, pretty much!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

Luke, what comes first, the thunder or the lightning? We all know they happen simultaneously, but that's not what we see/hear.

It may or may not be "silly", but that might explain why Josh is so certain about Jared's car, while Bob's tape is different.

Again, congratulations to the winners, and to the club, who put on a great event!

My article on SGrid Online will be done and posted within the hour, along with the first group of photos. The photo album will need to wait until later tonight.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

Mike, I get what you're saying...and by the way, good job on doing the research and finding how fast sound travels. What I'm saying is that if determining whether someone jumped the start or not comes down to the speed of sound and where the speakers are located, we just need to forget about it and move on. I know this racing is very serious but it shouldn't be that serious!
Old 10-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Luke W and all - I know the horse is dead...lol.. One thing to remember, for some of us, the racing that most consider a hobby is how we pay the bills to take care of our families. To me, that is serious and why I care so much and push so hard for things to be equal and fare for everyone.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Just out of curiosity, does every gas race start Le Mans style? I race electric, and I seriously have no idea. It just seems to me making guys turn onto the straight at the start is a can of worms ready to open at any moment.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikemyers
Luke, what comes first, the thunder or the lightning? We all know they happen simultaneously, but that's not what we see/hear.

It may or may not be "silly", but that might explain why Josh is so certain about Jared's car, while Bob's tape is different.

Again, congratulations to the winners, and to the club, who put on a great event!

My article on SGrid Online will be done and posted within the hour, along with the first group of photos. The photo album will need to wait until later tonight.
Mike,

Don't forget to include humidity, temperature, barmetric pressure, altitude and the mixture of other gases in the wave path.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Maybe we should account for the processing time it took for the computer, software and electrons to sound the horn. This is the differential of when the race director intended the race to start and when it actually did

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.