Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

ok good :-P
Old 04-17-2018, 04:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Seeing the buggy e powered is strange and cool at the same time. What is this "HobbyWing Wifi Express"?

Originally Posted by Evoking1230
The e-conversion kit was $75. I also had to get the battery foams to snug up the battery in the tray, that was under $10.

ProMatch 6500mah 4S Lipo - $85
HobbyWing Xerun SCT Pro ESC w/ Tekin G2 1900Kv motor - $120
HobbyWing Wifi Express - $45
JConcepts Illuzion Body for 8IGHT 2.0 - $25
Spray Cans - $25
About to add in a new Futaba receiver so I can use my 4pk on it, another $50, otherwise I'm using the Spektrum radio, receiver and steering servo.
Add in another $70 for a Savox servo

Total not including Futaba receiver and Savox servo, run as is out of the box about $385

And worth every penny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTI6ZLnQ9XM

excuse the camera woman, my wife couldn't keep up with it lolol.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

The Hobbywing Wifi Express allows you to program the ESC without connecting it to a computer. You use the Hobbywing app on your phone.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...503000/p503211
slackinoff likes this.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

I need to get with the times. I didn't even know an ESC was programmable. That must be what the E guys are talking about when discussing boost?
Old 04-19-2018, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by slackinoff
I need to get with the times. I didn't even know an ESC was programmable. That must be what the E guys are talking about when discussing boost?
Old 04-19-2018, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Yes,

You can also program an ESC the old fashion way, holding down the set button and then powering on and counting the beeps and letting go at whatever # of beeps correlates to whatever menu option you need.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Update on my rear diff modifications. I think I forgot to post my outcome. My rtr did not come shimmed at all on the rear diff bearings. (for the correct pinion to sun gear mesh). I am sure this is what caused the destruction. I originally thought it was the plastic bearing housings, (they were extremely loose, so I needed a new set) and opted to purchase the aluminum versions ($9 shipped on ebay). The aluminum ones are part # LOSA4454. See picture below. I also found an ebay a seller (rc-parts4you) selling the entire RTR rear diff (gearbox housings, diff, pinion and sun gears, bearings, ect assemble and ready to go for cheaper than buying the pinon and sun gear set. Well in my searching anyway. $30 shipped. (I bet one could find a much better deal on NOs pinion sun gear from the 2.0....I was in a hurry for my next race) I do hunt Ebay for nos from time to time, which is why I like buying the 1 - 2 generations older kits. It is kind of fun to hunt and find these NOS (new old stock) parts. Especially when they are so heavily discounted.

Then I picked up a shim kit. LOSA4452. I popped the new complete diff apart and tested afew combos on the shims. They give you 10 .10 and 10 .20 shims. I forget the combo, but everyone will be different. Just think about how it is effecting the mesh, putting shims on the sun gear side will space it out away from the pinion, and shims on the opposite of the sun gear side will tighten that mesh. It takes several attempts but it is worth it. You know when you get that perfect combo and it is smooth but solid feeling. Mine with no shims was smooth, but not solid feeling. You could tell there was excessive clearance.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Mine was actually shimmed out the box lol. Go figure.

I actually had one of the rear gearbox inserts crack on me so I just bought a few spares in plastic. If they continue to break, I will upgrade to the aluminum. The aluminum is standard on the 8IGHT & 8IGHT-T 3.0 as well as the 4.0's Im sure.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Update on my rear diff modifications. I think I forgot to post my outcome. My rtr did not come shimmed at all on the rear diff bearings. (for the correct pinion to sun gear mesh). I am sure this is what caused the destruction. I originally thought it was the plastic bearing housings, (they were extremely loose, so I needed a new set) and opted to purchase the aluminum versions ($9 shipped on ebay). The aluminum ones are part # LOSA4454. See picture below. I also found an ebay a seller (rc-parts4you) selling the entire RTR rear diff (gearbox housings, diff, pinion and sun gears, bearings, ect assemble and ready to go for cheaper than buying the pinon and sun gear set. Well in my searching anyway. $30 shipped. (I bet one could find a much better deal on NOs pinion sun gear from the 2.0....I was in a hurry for my next race) I do hunt Ebay for nos from time to time, which is why I like buying the 1 - 2 generations older kits. It is kind of fun to hunt and find these NOS (new old stock) parts. Especially when they are so heavily discounted.

Then I picked up a shim kit. LOSA4452. I popped the new complete diff apart and tested afew combos on the shims. They give you 10 .10 and 10 .20 shims. I forget the combo, but everyone will be different. Just think about how it is effecting the mesh, putting shims on the sun gear side will space it out away from the pinion, and shims on the opposite of the sun gear side will tighten that mesh. It takes several attempts but it is worth it. You know when you get that perfect combo and it is smooth but solid feeling. Mine with no shims was smooth, but not solid feeling. You could tell there was excessive clearance.

To be honest, you need to shim the back diff mesh so it l feels a little.. notchy and smooth while you turn the diff. and let it break in. You will get more life out of you diff. Not as a big deal in buggy but truggy...its a must do.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kaptain crash
To be honest, you need to shim the back diff mesh so it l feels a little.. notchy and smooth while you turn the diff. and let it break in. You will get more life out of you diff. Not as a big deal in buggy but truggy...its a must do.
So shim it on the tight side? I simply refuse good sir to do that. But If this one fails on me then I will eat those words. I do feel pretty confident. Especially when you use the thinnest shims. I am one thin shim away from notchy-ness. The setup feels too solid and smooth to not work. We will see.

Question for the group - What body works on the rtr? Can I use the 3.0 body?
Old 04-20-2018, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Yes, a 3.0 body will work.
slackinoff likes this.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Soooo here's my pathetic attempt at a spray can job on a JConcepts Illuzion body for the 8IGHT 2.0(read many times that it fits the e-conversion, but actually not really >-<)
for the e-converted RTR.This will be my race team colors so all my bodies will look like this. Now to decide on a race team name lol. Any suggestions?

Go easy on me, as you can see the body sits a bit crooked, I had to chop up some spare body posts but still not sitting correctly. The battery is to tall!?! :-(

Old 04-22-2018, 03:08 PM
Tech Regular

Soooo here's my pathetic attempt at a spray can job on a JConcepts Illuzion body for the 8IGHT 2.0
I think the paint job looks alright brother. Are your droop screw keeping the front arms down / extending? The springs look a little compressed.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

I think the paint job looks alright brother. Are your droop screw keeping the front arms down / extending? The springs look a little compressed.
Thanks. I'm happy how it came out lol. Still trying to come up with a race team name.

I actually have no idea why the spring is so compressed. I had to put it that low to get it to the correct ride height. Can't remember if I still have the 25WT in there from when I was racing on that really cold day or maybe it lost some oil(doubt the later, I crank those shock caps down good lol). I actually have the 3.0 springs on there now and the adjustable collar is about halfway on the shock body.

The front RTR silver springs are quite a bit shorter than than the 3.0 springs. Also a softer spring rate as well.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks. I'm happy how it came out lol. Still trying to come up with a race team name.

I actually have no idea why the spring is so compressed. I had to put it that low to get it to the correct ride height. Can't remember if I still have the 25WT in there from when I was racing on that really cold day or maybe it lost some oil(doubt the later, I crank those shock caps down good lol). I actually have the 3.0 springs on there now and the adjustable collar is about halfway on the shock body.

The front RTR silver springs are quite a bit shorter than than the 3.0 springs. Also a softer spring rate as well.
I think the springs look low. My spring collet is less than a 1/4 inch from the top with evo springs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.