Losi 8IGHT Nitro 1/8 4WD RTR Buggy - v.2016/17

Like Tree31Likes

Losi 8IGHT Nitro 1/8 4WD RTR Buggy - v.2016/17

Old 12-18-2016, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Losi 8IGHT Nitro 1/8 4WD RTR Buggy - v.2016/17

Hi All,

Edit 2/27/2018 - This thread was started originally as a showcase to this very capable RTR. What is has become now is for those that can only get into/back into the hobby via the RTR route and are looking to get back to racing, how to upgrade key parts to make it just as competitive as the kit 3.0. I've had a bit of positive feedback from some long time members here and I appreciate the acknowledgement and help. I never expected this to have such a positive impact. Thank you all. You know who you are :-)

Now that I have a full fledged 8IGHT 3.0 thanks to a very awesome RC Tech member supplying me a whole box of parts :-D, the RTR is a rolling chassis sitting there :-(. Don't worry and stay tuned as I will be updating this post over the next few weeks with a few of my race day results past and future and doing a writeup on how to convert your RTR to electric powered via Losi's e converstion kit. :-)

I am editing this original post to do a write up and first impression on this RTR as I have just purchased one for myself so I can race/bash alongside my son who has a Kyosho Inferno NEO 2.0 RTR. This is his first real R/C car. This is me getting back into it after 10+years away.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-8i...s04010/p543246

Initial impressions out of the box are great. It looks good, everything is assembled minus the wing. Slap on some stickers and put the wing on, fasten with the body clips and you're done. About 10 minutes.

Other 1st thought, the crappy fixed turnbuckles errrr plastic things need to go lol. Tires are a good pattern, similar to the Blockades, but with an X pattern going down the middle. I'll see how they handle on both our bash track (baseball field) and our local track, Ultimate R/C in Alvin, TX.

Here are some quick pics to start, I will post the rest later, I have to take them with the body off. Got this at lunch, damn day job!

More to come soon, including first impressions after I test it out on the local baseball field and/or track (depends on weather, this weekend is a wash out :-()

So my initial first impressions out of the box:

-This has to be the most race ready/capable RTR I've ever seen! So many tuning options; droop screws, swaybars included, threaded shocks, along with the usual tuning options. It even includes shock shaft boots!
-there is thread lock on everything! and I mean everything, even the plastic I think. Those hex screws into plastic were a PITA to break loose lol.
-Radio does not have enough settings on it. Its lacking the ability to dial out/in how much throw the servos give out. You can hear them over exerting themselves, no way to set say throttle to full and then back off.
-Steering servo does not center correctly from either direction, left or right. Will monitor and report back if more correction then needed is warranted because of such. Could it be the servo saver is too tight?
-Fixed length turnbuckles do not bind at the rod ends like they do on the 3.0's(well thats what Im reading as Im going through all 246 pages lol)
-Clutch/Spur make much more noise than my son's Kyosho Inferno NEO 2.0 and a little rough to boot. Gear mesh is fine though. Maybe its just like that?!? (new to 1/8 nitro buggy so it very well could just be normal)
-currently debating if I want to swap out the kit supplied oils for TLR 35/30. The oil feels much more solid than my son's Kyosho Inferno RTR which was softer than a marshmallow.

Impressions while breaking in the motor:

Broke in the motor according to manufacturers suggested method, same as the Inferno NEO 2.0. On that final tank this motor started to really come to life. Barely touching WOT for just a sec, this thing was moving in the parking lot. Buggy has a TON of turn in. Brake bias needs to be adjusted, way too much brake.

Overall, Im really impressed with this RTR. I cant wait to get it on the track or dirty anywhere really to see how it goes up against my son's :-D

Track Day - 3/15/2017

Took it out to the track today along with my son and his buggy.

TO start off, for whatever reason, I cant set the brake bias on this. It just straight locks up, but I manged to make it lock up less than it was.(yes I used the threadable linkage, if i go any more the rod will back out of the hole!)
-With that said, our local track has quite a few hairpins so I was able to go in, tap the brakes while turning and pitch it sideways and square it up a lot better coming out of the corners in a very controllable slide.
-Settings out of the box, it has quite a bit of on power push, easily corrected by moving the front shocks to the inner mounting hole on the arm, however, still a slight hint of push. Might switch to my track preferred Blockades to see if that cures it.
-Lost a body clip on one of the crashes, but then found someone elses thats been sitting there for a while while turn marshalling lol.

Also noted, the car nose dives off jumps so you definitely have to stay on it a bit. Nothing is binding, and brakes arent engaging prematurely...I'll double check just in case...any cure for this?

Overall, not bad and definitely recommended. Handles very well out of the box. It is quick and fluid and handles the bumps and jumps like one should expect being built upon a race winning platform. Cant wait to slowly upgrade this with key components and more track time to see what it can really do. Definitely need to get the rust off after 10+years away lol

After track day:

Thanks!

Recommended Upgrade Parts

85% of your setup is tires! Ask what the local fast guys are running as those are usually the go to for your track!!!

Dynamite Backplate DYNE1506. Removes pull-start assembly and backplate in place of a non pull start backplate. MUST USE STARTER BOX ONCE THIS IS ADDED! You will also need the 4.0 engine mounts TLR241017.
*Alternatively, you can run a Kyosho Starter box with LOSA9154 engine mounts and still keep the pull start in tact. Confirmed by a fellow RTR owner.*```

16mm Front Shock Set TLR243021
16mm Rear Shock Set TLR243022
*Note these seem to be discontinued now. Check online.
Also be sure to pick up the pack of TLR shock oils.

3.0 eBuggy Front Shock Tower TLR244014
3.0 eBuggy Rear Shock Tower TLR244015*popular upgrade on the 3.0 as the inner middle mounting position for the upper camber link helps plant the rear end of the car.
alternatively, you can also use the 4.0(nitro) towers TLR244025 & TLR244026

Adjustable Turnbuckles
LOSA6540 - Front Camber links
LOSA6541 - Rear Camber links
LOSA6542 - Front Steering links

You will need the LOSA6048 - 8.8mm flanged suspension balls (installed on the shock towers)
as well as
LOSA6049 - 8.8mm suspension balls(for one end of turnbuckles.)

Your choice of steering servo with at least 300oz/in torque and good speed.
Aluminum servo arm(s) for steering servo
Your choice of throttle/brake servo with good speed and high torque. Aluminum servo arm optional. I don't run one.

With the above upgrades and track time, its all you need as this RTR is very capable out of the box :-)

See post #372 for the e-conversion.

Last edited by Evoking1230; 04-15-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: write-up
Old 12-18-2016, 08:50 AM
Tech Initiate

As with most companies, the current gen rtr buggy shares most of the tech with the outgoing kit version. I'd say most of the setup is pretty close to what the eight 3.0 buggy kit had on it (minus a few pricey parts)
Old 12-18-2016, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

So would it be better if I went with a "gently used" 3.0 with everything I need, Im sure I can find something on here in the classifieds for the same price, if not cheaper.

Or the other RTR I was thinking about was the JQ RTR, just wish it had threaded shocks, but at that price point, I really dont have a right to complain lol.

Editing this post for Track Days/Parts #'s/E-Conversion info:

Track Day April 23, 2017

Beautiful day in the 80's. Just me here. Track was dry and dusty. Double checked the brake linkages and setup braking to a 60/40 split. Dialed in more droop in the front and rear. Fixed the nose diving off jumps issue. Car was still pushing into and out of corners. Moved front lower shock position to inside on arm...BINGO! Still pushed on power, trouble hooking up on power out of corners. Much more consistent runs now that it doesn't nose dive off of jumps lol. Changed shock oils to 35F/30R, helped a lot on power traction in the rear. Thinking about shortening the wheelbase since the track is somewhat small and had a lot of tight corners.

Practice Day at local Softball Field May 6, 2017

Didn't want to go to the track. Overcast day but still hot. All dirt softball field. Very loose, very dusty!!! Setup a make shift course with some cones. "track" was obviously very tight with a few hairpin turns. The stock RTR tires seem to shine better on this type of dirt. Traction wasn't as bad accelerating out of the corners. Just didn't feel like it was rotating right through the corners. Shortened the wheelbase and BOOM! :-)

Practice/Bash Dat at local Softball Field June 25, 2017

Hot day, sunny. Field still wet/damp with a puddle by one of the corners. Car had great grip as the dirt was hard packed, wet and not really coming up. Came in too hot on one of corners and ended up going through that puddle. Lets just say it was a PITA to clean over the course of the next week. EVERYTHING torn down, cleaned, re-greased and bearings serviced/replaced where needed. Not doing that again. SMH

Track Day at Friends Bash/Track Spot October 29, 2017 - Post Harvey :-/

Summer was too hot, work was too busy and then Harvey hit. While i was not affected as bad as others, my family and I were still up in a hotel for 3 weeks while we repaired the house. Needed to get out and a local that I met bashing at the fields invited me by to try out his new backyard track :-D. Definitely needed this, but the whooping I gave them, they didn't need lol! Track was loose and dusty and a somewhat tight track. Same setup in it from the baseball fields. Just made an upper camber link(front) adjustment and thats all that was needed! 1 REVO, 2 MBX7's and 1 eTruggy plus my little ol' RTR. We did a quick 8 min qualifier to see who would start where. I started 3rd as I cased a jump pretty bad on my hot lap. Race time is here, good start and 3-way battle for the lead. I took my time and picked em off one by one and just put my head down and drove away. By the end I all but lapped but 1. Car was dialed!!! They couldn't believe this was a RTR. I was in the zone and I guess after all that's happened, it was my day :-)

Track Day January 14, 2018

Back at the track on a cold day. Highs in the low 50's and somewhat hard packed dirt (guess it was frozen lol). Lowered shock oils to 25F/20R and that was pretty spot on on this new layout. Still pushed on power though >-<. The other change was the addition of the rear LRC which seems to have planted the rear end even further. Instead of struggling for traction in the rear out of corners, it was now hooked but as the track broke up and got loose and dusty it was starting to go back to squirrley back there. Overall a good day, all eBuggies there. I was out front most of the day on our "practice race" and while 1 would contend for the lead, he never did get past me. They just barely kept up with me on the straight (not sure how thats possible lol). Finished 1st twice (10 minute mains with the eguys being nice enough to do a mock pitting to keep it fair). A glitchy power switch/low speed runaway ended my day as that was quite enough embarassment for one day lol. Wanting to try 7K in the front to see if I can get more on power steering..hmmmm Although 5-7-3 felt good on the bumpy sections on the back half of the track. Not sure which way to go :-/

Track Day 3/4/2018

pretty much had the whole track to myself most of the time. Brand spanking new layout, super technical and took a bit to get used to. Had some tuning gremlins and when flipping or smacking the face of a jump, that stupid rubber coupler on the exhaust came loose!!!! Soo annoying. Sooo buying a new pipe >-<. Reset to factory settings on carb and took it from there. No more issues after.

Anyways, setup was pretty good, I did a track walk prior to running and saw that it was grooving up, a little less bumpy than the previous layout and some bigger jumps :-O. The only difference from last time was I had 3.0 springs on front and rear this time. (Greens in front and rear, 4.8F/3.8R) which is only slightly stiffer from the RTR springs.(4.4F/3.1R) Might go to those next time out to see how it handles. Other change was rear CVA's. (RTR comes with universals but now I have a full blow 3.0, they come standard). Also switched to the steel flywheel and 2 aluminum shoes w/ green springs and 2 black shoes 2/ black springs to soften out acceleration on the loose stuff.
Car had great acceleration out of corners, instant snap thanks to the new clutch/flywheel setup but still pushing on power. The more the track grooved up, the more the rear end would start sliding out under power(towards the end of the day). This is probably a tire issue rather than setup issue, need to look into other tires. Overall not too bad, but even a somewhat bad day at the track is still better than a bad day at work :-)

Probably going to raise rear roll center or play with shock mounting positions to help tame the on power push.

more to come...

Last edited by Evoking1230; 03-04-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoking1230 View Post
So would it be better if I went with a "gently used" 3.0 with everything I need, Im sure I can find something on here in the classifieds for the same price, if not cheaper.

Or the other RTR I was thinking about was the JQ RTR, just wish it had threaded shocks, but at that price point, I really dont have a right to complain lol.
Just to put this in perspective, the support you will get and find for a Losi will surpass the JQ. I am not saying the JQ is bad, just that there is more losi parts etc. available from many local hobbyshops and tracks.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

This can be the official thread for the RTR. Since its been out for a little while now, has anyone went with it?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 02-07-2017, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Anything rtr has cheaper material and will break or wear out quicker than a kit. It will definitely be more expensive the rtr route. I would definitely look for a turn key 8ight 3.0 or 8ight 4.0 or even a 8ight-t 3.0 or 8ight-t 4.0. I probably wouldnt pay more then 500 for it thou. I would definitely call who ever you are buying from make sure they sound like they know what they are talking about and are not a hack at building kits. Check the bottom of chassis for life, all the outdrives. make sure they are selling a running motor.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Not sure about RTR's today, but 10 years ago, I never broke a part on my HPI Nitro RS4 RTR. Bent hinge pin, sure, front bumper, sure, but those are thin and flimsy no matter what vehicle lol
Old 02-08-2017, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoking1230 View Post
Not sure about RTR's today, but 10 years ago, I never broke a part on my HPI Nitro RS4 RTR. Bent hinge pin, sure, front bumper, sure, but those are thin and flimsy no matter what vehicle lol
I am taking more major things like bending shock towers/ chassis, outdrives/driveline wearing out much quicker because of cheaper materials. Definitely would try to find a good used turn key 8ight 3.0 or 4.0. We bought a turn key 8ight 4.0 got it thursday only had to tighten up the servo saver threw it on the track friday and the car was awesome all weekend long.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

ahhh gotcha.

Chassis bending, eeekkkk.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Im close to pulling the trigger on one of these but thr truggy, the composite shocks irk me but the last 8ight i built racked up alot of $$ i never saw again lol the new rtr with some aluminum shocks and a few other upgrades should give me a few years of fun and enough left over to start my son out in a rig, ill post an update if amain gets some $$ from me this weekend ��

Last edited by Todd400; 02-11-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Todd400 View Post
Im close to pulling the trigger on one of these but thr truggy, the composite shocks irk me but the last 8ight i built racked up alot of $$ i never saw again lol the new rtr with some aluminum shocks and a few other upgrades should give me a few years of fun and enough left over to start my son out in a rig, ill post an update if amain gets some $$ from me this weekend ��
Yea Im probably going with the buggy as well, I already have the upgraded shock towers from the 3.0 in the cart, trying to see if I want to spend an extra $100 on the shocks from the 3.0 as well
Old 03-04-2017, 06:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would like to hear some feed back on this kit as well. I don't see very many threads or reviews on the RTR nitro buggies. I'm sorta in the same situation, I'm looking to re-enter RC after many years too. I've had 4 nitro stadium trucks in the past and they were all RTR, and I did race them for fun at the club level. My dilemma is I don't wanna drop $600 on a race kit then, 300 on a motor/pipe. 300 on servos and transmitter. And I'm sure more money for wheels/ tires, other misc parts to build the kit, and a starter box/batteries. I'm looking at between 1200-1500 to build a kit with mid range running gear. I don't know that I wanna spend that much money off the bat to do some club races at a track over an hour away that races once a month, I figure I might get to race half of them in a years time due to my work schedule. I know the kit's will probably be better quality, but for just starting back from scratch, an investment of 600 for a rtr seems like a more sound investment to see if I even enjoy racing 1/8th scale nitro, versus dropping more than double that in a kit from the start. I'm not sure if RTR's are just junk in today's market, but it seems like most people on the forum talk about them as if they are worthless
Old 03-06-2017, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

The Losi RTR is fine as long as you understand, you will most likely need to replace servos before long. At our last race, a guy had the RTR and was competing right out the box. He went the whole weekend with no issues. There are value components, but you can replace those, as you need. Everyone dont need a 2k car out the box.... ijs
Old 03-06-2017, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

^^^^agreed.

i just pulled the trigger on the buggy. I plan on upgrading key components little by little along side my sons Kyosho Inferno NEO 2.0 as he progresses with his racing skills on the track. Cant wait to open the box! :-D

(bigger kid than my son)
Old 03-06-2017, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

so the stock setup for shock oil is 40WT oil all around. IS this a good starting point or should I throw in the standard 35F/30R? (or is that only good for the old nitro stadium trucks? lolol)

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service