Search
Like Tree1Likes

What happened to Team Durango??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by Jeff Werner
Well that 2014 Nats he finished on the Podium (3rd). The last two Nats he has taken 5th in buggy. I would say that is pretty close to the same.

My statement was the buggy was good in his hands. Never said anything about comparing it to Tekno.

and

2016 IFMAR worlds started 7th and finished 9th.

2014 IFMAR Worlds started 4th and ran most of the final in the top 3 until diff gear broke.

Engine, Tire, and fuel sponsors were the same, only a different chassis.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think the DNX8 and the 408 are a work of art. The 408 was so wicked on the track and I didn't own one but wanted one at the time. I was lucky to get a DNX8 and i will be putting it together in the near future. I am just going to collect some spare parts in case I break something. Michael
Old 01-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain america
It seems that they weren't "serious about racing" after all.

The Dingo DNX8 was a very impressive car on many fronts, but that was because of guys like Simonini and Lutz. The administration it seems couldn't find their own a$$ with both hands and a flashlight, because they had great talent working for them, yet managed to lose it all and run the brand into the ground.
Originally Posted by MX304
Hobbico, where brands go to die...
^^ This right here^^
Such a shame..!
Old 01-04-2017, 11:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Comparing anything modern to the Revo is half hearted at best. The problem with Traxxas is that they do not continually upgrade their kits. The Revo was hot shit years ago. Remember, that truck won Championships. Then it got old and stale. It takes work to stay on top.
As far as Durango and the 8th scale stuff. The Arrma trucks are detuned RTR versions of the race trucks. Not the other way around. Yes, the Senton was released first, but the desc10 was designed first, then detuned and sold as the rtr we know now.
Maybe this will work out for the better though. As long as arrma is kill8ng it, funds and demand for the race equivalent will remain.

With all the pro this and pro that, my opinion is that I think too many online people pay too much attention to what they're doing. You see it in car or electronics recommendations. Everyone thinks they need the latest, greatest and moat expensive stuff to run at their little rinky dink dirt dustbowl in po dunk Arkansas. If 90% of rc are bashers, 90% of the remaining racing ten race at small club tracks scattered throughout the country. These people will never see a Cactus Classic or Reedy Invitational. And they most likely don't care either. If your on the track with Maifield like drivers, then no, you probably don't want to try and beat them with an RC10B3. but at tracks all over a decent driver can be competitive with a properly setup B3. I've seen guys win with all kinds of stuff. Forums like this one are full of people who have I'll make themselves vomit at the thought of running a Traxxas Slash, yet I've seen modded Slashes send new shiny midmotor trucks packing. So yeah, I agree a lot with what Savage said. Everybody thinks they're prepping and competing in the next nationals or that their setup is on a world's level. But the reality is that they are club racers, just like the rest of us. And what Tessman does doesn't mean squat. You've got to remember people that all this Pro Team this and sponsored guy that is only there to do one thing. MAKE YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY. They have perfected the art of making you think you need this or that to win. When actually it's their driving that sucks, not their car or Esc or battery. If people would take a minute and return to the actual reality that they live in, they'd probably have a lot more fun, spend less and acknowledge that the only thing that really matters is the club and people they race with every weekend. And those people can and do win with, have fun with and compete with older cars and gear.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:55 PM
JQ
Tech Master

Originally Posted by speedy2
The DNX8 was a Ryan Lutz design..
no it wasnt
Old 01-05-2017, 12:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

It's so sad and weird to read through the DNX8 thread when you know what's gonna happen to the car lol
Old 01-05-2017, 01:19 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Phantom56
Comparing anything modern to the Revo is half hearted at best. The problem with Traxxas is that they do not continually upgrade their kits. The Revo was hot shit years ago. Remember, that truck won Championships. Then it got old and stale. It takes work to stay on top.
As far as Durango and the 8th scale stuff. The Arrma trucks are detuned RTR versions of the race trucks. Not the other way around. Yes, the Senton was released first, but the desc10 was designed first, then detuned and sold as the rtr we know now.
Maybe this will work out for the better though. As long as arrma is kill8ng it, funds and demand for the race equivalent will remain.

With all the pro this and pro that, my opinion is that I think too many online people pay too much attention to what they're doing. You see it in car or electronics recommendations. Everyone thinks they need the latest, greatest and moat expensive stuff to run at their little rinky dink dirt dustbowl in po dunk Arkansas. If 90% of rc are bashers, 90% of the remaining racing ten race at small club tracks scattered throughout the country. These people will never see a Cactus Classic or Reedy Invitational. And they most likely don't care either. If your on the track with Maifield like drivers, then no, you probably don't want to try and beat them with an RC10B3. but at tracks all over a decent driver can be competitive with a properly setup B3. I've seen guys win with all kinds of stuff. Forums like this one are full of people who have I'll make themselves vomit at the thought of running a Traxxas Slash, yet I've seen modded Slashes send new shiny midmotor trucks packing. So yeah, I agree a lot with what Savage said. Everybody thinks they're prepping and competing in the next nationals or that their setup is on a world's level. But the reality is that they are club racers, just like the rest of us. And what Tessman does doesn't mean squat. You've got to remember people that all this Pro Team this and sponsored guy that is only there to do one thing. MAKE YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY. They have perfected the art of making you think you need this or that to win. When actually it's their driving that sucks, not their car or Esc or battery. If people would take a minute and return to the actual reality that they live in, they'd probably have a lot more fun, spend less and acknowledge that the only thing that really matters is the club and people they race with every weekend. And those people can and do win with, have fun with and compete with older cars and gear.

Exactly. You just painted a vision of racing which would be a lot more fun - and probably popular, than what it is right now.

One of the main arguments I have to counter is, "well you don't NEED all the stuff your neighbor has at the next pit table - the spare kit for parts, 12 sets of new tires, a backup OS Speed, and on and on".. Well, that's technically true. But those guys have a big influence on the atmosphere of racing. And frankly, for a lot of people I think, including myself, and I'm sure a lot of newbs, that atmosphere is way too stuffy and overy serious. And it just costs too d.amn much.. Yeah yeah, you don't have to try to keep up. But the culture of it is a constant presence, which is just annoying. To counter it you have to develop a very thick skin, and always feeling like you're swimming against the tide in that regard is offputting. Eventually people just throw in the towel and move on..
Old 01-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Look at the Horizon issues now.

BTW: DNX8 is for sale at Amain for ~ $216.99

Wondering if they are clearing out their Durango 1/8 Stock.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Tech Addict

IC, you missed the good sale, it was $199.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:00 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
Look at the Horizon issues now.

BTW: DNX8 is for sale at Amain for ~ $216.99

Wondering if they are clearing out their Durango 1/8 Stock.
What issues is horizon having?
Old 01-11-2017, 04:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JsK
What issues is horizon having?
Not paying out their employees stock option purchase plans as scheduled for one. http://www.insidelinerc.com/off-road...d-for-hobbico/

But it looks like their employees are not always very happy to work there. https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Hobbico/reviews

As for Durango, seems too that the website has not been updated in a while, given that the last bit of news is from Aug 9 - 2016
Old 01-11-2017, 05:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
Not paying out their employees stock option purchase plans as scheduled for one. http://www.insidelinerc.com/off-road...d-for-hobbico/

But it looks like their employees are not always very happy to work there. https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Hobbico/reviews

As for Durango, seems too that the website has not been updated in a while, given that the last bit of news is from Aug 9 - 2016
That would be Hobbico not Horizon.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Tech Initiate

As anybody have news about Durango future ?
Old 02-20-2017, 03:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

All I hear is crickets.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:06 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

heard they are done, anyone got a link to an article on this?