Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TRX 3.3 air leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 11:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Default TRX 3.3 air leak?

I was running my jato 3.3 and i noticed that the idle was higher than normal, no matter what i tried, it'd always be high, not high enough to move the wheels, but clearly higher, LSN was set correctly too, it wasnt until i got home that i noticed that the exhaust had slipped away from the exhaust coupler, can this be what was causing the issue? i have no way of checking right now so answers would be appreciated
Old 03-14-2016, 12:52 PM
Tech Lord

Exhaust backpressure is your fuel pump. A leak in your exhaust takes away some pressure pushing less fuel to the engine with as result the engine will run too lean and so too hot, that is causing the high idle.

Basically you can run with less pressure but you have to adjust the HSN richer. So how can you tell that the LSN was set correct? Just by the number of turns mentioned in the manual? If so then you have a lot to learn. Air pressure, humidity, air temperature, kind of fuel etc are all factors changing the needle settings.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:22 PM
Tech Rookie

thank you, and yeah, i do have a lot to learn, this is my 2nd hobby grade RC and im not the best at troubleshooting, good to know it was just the exhaust, i do know that the lsn was set correctly because earlier it was idling correctly and did the pinch test and took 3.5 seconds, exhaust must have popped off in one of the few rolls and crashes that happened
Old 03-15-2016, 01:52 AM
Tech Regular

That happens quite often with those couplers. I've completely lost the pipe on my Mad Force several times now hahaha. The pinch test is the best way to set the LSN, so you are doing well there I'd recommend getting a one piece pipe in the future such as the THS pipe for the Jato. Those are much more sturdy and it'll free up some power too.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The pinch test is BS. Don't use that to set your low speed needle. The low speed needle on that carb is used for one thing only: setting your idle mixture. Make sure your idle gap is below 0.7mm and adjust your lsn from there. If it is idling high, richen the lsn. If it is stalling out from being too rich, lean the lsn needle.

I can guarantee you that the engine has no air leak.