Old 03-31-2016, 12:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

So asking about the axe plunge?
Old 04-01-2016, 02:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kakenballs
I think you & your friend may have posted the s-workz mod on the rc8b3 not sure. If you did have you added the new team setup with mods to it. Just want some feedback on what you think of it now?
Yeah my friend Jimmy and i came up with the Sworkz hub replacement, but we have not tried the DNC mods. A different friend at the track put most of the DNC mods on his car (no Sworkz hubs). When i drove it, it did feel easier to drive than any other non Sworkz hub iteration. It still had a lot of steering and you still had to be on the ball when driving the car. Of course without all the mods only so much can be evaluated from it.

My final opinion of the RC8B3 is that it's a driver's car. It is super fast in the right hands. You gotta have the skill to get the most out of it. Of course that can be said with any car, but i think the B3 bites back harder. I've seen it really laying down the lap times with all box stock parts... stock diffs, stock hubs, stock springs

I'll also add that i think part of what makes the car so fast is its turning ability that comes from a loose rear.

I think that loose rear bit Cavallari at Neo. During the race you could see the rear getting a little squirrelly here and there that led to a couple of mistakes. Tebo's car was as smooth as could be and i don't think he made any mistakes. My point here is that even with Cavallari's massive talent he made some mistakes too which i think was due to a loose rear. Yes, lots of other people were making mistakes too. I'm also not saying Kyosho is better or faster, just smoother.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Without having more data like camber gain profile from the AE it's going to be though to say exactly what the car needs to have a more stable rear end. From what I read here and what I get from the DNC setup I can only make assumptions and provide general tips nothing more.
The DNC setup is going towards the Sworkz hub geometry, only it won't do all of the work in the rear. The front roll couple was diminished (A and B plate pills) and now the lower rear hub hole is used, effectively tipping roll axis in a way to get less rear roll. Unfortunately that also increases turn in sensitivity/rotation, some will like it others won't. Personally I still see the shorter rear camber link as the better option, like the MP9 has.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:59 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by My ST-RR EVO
Yeah my friend Jimmy and i came up with the Sworkz hub replacement, but we have not tried the DNC mods. A different friend at the track put most of the DNC mods on his car (no Sworkz hubs). When i drove it, it did feel easier to drive than any other non Sworkz hub iteration. It still had a lot of steering and you still had to be on the ball when driving the car. Of course without all the mods only so much can be evaluated from it.

My final opinion of the RC8B3 is that it's a driver's car. It is super fast in the right hands. You gotta have the skill to get the most out of it. Of course that can be said with any car, but i think the B3 bites back harder. I've seen it really laying down the lap times with all box stock parts... stock diffs, stock hubs, stock springs

I'll also add that i think part of what makes the car so fast is its turning ability that comes from a loose rear.

I think that loose rear bit Cavallari at Neo. During the race you could see the rear getting a little squirrelly here and there that led to a couple of mistakes. Tebo's car was as smooth as could be and i don't think he made any mistakes. My point here is that even with Cavallari's massive talent he made some mistakes too which i think was due to a loose rear. Yes, lots of other people were making mistakes too. I'm also not saying Kyosho is better or faster, just smoother.
Tell your buddy to put the hole dnc setup on it the springs aren't needed just use the mugen springs they work better. Also can you pm me a copy of his setup with the s-workz hubs. I want to see something before I say to much & it may not even work on the track.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:00 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
Without having more data like camber gain profile from the AE it's going to be though to say exactly what the car needs to have a more stable rear end. From what I read here and what I get from the DNC setup I can only make assumptions and provide general tips nothing more.
The DNC setup is going towards the Sworkz hub geometry, only it won't do all of the work in the rear. The front roll couple was diminished (A and B plate pills) and now the lower rear hub hole is used, effectively tipping roll axis in a way to get less rear roll. Unfortunately that also increases turn in sensitivity/rotation, some will like it others won't. Personally I still see the shorter rear camber link as the better option, like the MP9 has.
So your saying run a short rear camber link not the super long that I have got on it now?
Old 04-01-2016, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

So your saying run a short rear camber link not the super long that I have got on it now?
Yep, having the upper link longer than the lower arm is rare or not done in racing suspension designs. Try first going outer row on the shock tower. The first time I tried short rear camber links was an eye opener. Try it ☺
Old 04-02-2016, 12:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Tell your buddy to put the hole dnc setup on it the springs aren't needed just use the mugen springs they work better. Also can you pm me a copy of his setup with the s-workz hubs. I want to see something before I say to much & it may not even work on the track.
My friend that used the Sworkz hubs has moved on to Hot Bodies and i don't remember the set up. My other friend who has most of the DNC setup on his B3 is lagging. I told him a few times to put the whole DNC setup on, but he's busy. Which Mugen springs are the right ones?

In general terms, i think the short rear link will make the buggy's rear more hyper active which this car doesn't need, but 30 could be right and it'll be better!
Old 04-02-2016, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by My ST-RR EVO
(...)
In general terms, i think the short rear link will make the buggy's rear more hyper active which this car doesn't need, but 30 could be right and it'll be better!
Objective: Talking about short camber links and what they do.
A shorter camber link will plant the tires quicker every time they receive an input, it will be harder to get the car upset at least the other car's I've tried including both wide rear pivot cars. We won't find out until it's tried, another thing is if the over roll is cured in the rear (courtesy of the short camber link, short links roll less than long links) it enables the use of thinner roll bars and revert the hyper active behaviour.

Last edited by 30Tooth; 12-19-2016 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
A shorter camber link will plant the tires quicker every time they receive an input, it will be harder to get the car upset at least the other car's I've tried including both wide rear pivot cars. We won't find out until it's tried, another thing is if the over roll is cured in the rear (courtesy of the short camber link, short links roll less than long links) it enables the use of thinner roll bars and revert the hyper active behaviour.
All great input thanks for the help will keep you posted on the changes also. Taking a little break for motor rebuild & extra car maintenance.

Last edited by Kakenballs; 04-06-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

All great input thanks for the help will keep you posted on the changes also. Trying a little break for motor rebuild & extra car maintenance.
No problem, hope it helps! And please report back as it's valuable for all that follow this thread.

About the camber link length I tried that today, went a step shorter in the rear. I started with longest link, which is already short comparing with cars I had, and with the new shorter link the rear isn't more sensitive or worse. It's actually easier to keep the rear end from overtaking the front now. The XB9 (using the short arm) and the RC8B3 might have the same rear arm length so I can shed some tips as the XB9 is now my main car. For example, one thing I found today (being curious about the RC8B3 setup) is the front roll center is the cherry in the top of the cake. Starting with the arms level with ground, maximum ride height I can have arms parallel and trying to keep roll centers close to ground next move is finding the balance between stability, turn in and out with the rear geometry. Once I reach max rear grip (for example today balance was a bit into oversteer on power and little turn-in but rear grip was maxxed out) I move to the front end, usually just a roll center height change, which will be tested during next week.

Thinking about that, the changes I've made during past week were the same THE Car needed.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

I think I'm unto something regarding camber gain in different cars and suspension designs and carcass roundness. For example THE Car always worked better on round carcass tires like the city-beam I run. Using square armors it's been tricky to drive and I found I ran less camber gain in that car compared to my 7.5 and XB9, even the MBX6. That wasn't on purpose because I wanted to keep it calmer being a short arm design, so I worked around with roll center height tuning and that's why I said they should be close to ground as possible, unfortunately I didn't made the camber gain adjustment (or re-adjustment) to back where it was with the long front link and high roll center (easy to drive car, no oversteer ever). Well, THE Car is sitting without engine and electronics but with the changes already made, but will try the new XB9 setup first.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

Will be running the buggy this weekend to see if the changes worked will start slow moving to the shortest rear link without giving up to much. Will keep you post my friends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.