Search

Kyosho MP777 SP2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 03:47 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks 30Tooth.... I love this hobby
Old 09-01-2012, 05:32 AM
Tech Addict

Finally got to run my MP777 SPII on the track and I was really surprised at how it went.

Bearing in mind the car is 5 years old (since it first ran) and the engine had not started for a year. Everything went as smooth as I can ask for.

On our poorly conditioned track i actually managed to keep up with the fastest driver using the new MBX6. Kept up with him whole day without much difficulty until i popped out the steering linkage on a jump. Another problem was due to the kyosho being a heavier car, i struggled to clear the longest jump but then again I was running it quite rich.

I have no idea how competitive it will be on a properly laid out high traction track but on our poorly and horribly maintained track.... it simply drove like a champ.

Some problems did show though. I think there might be a need to change the engine bearing soon. Showing some symptoms already and while burning remaining fuel on my last tank... the throttle servo just went up in smoke. We suspected some rust in the servo itself which may have led to a short circuit. Bear in mind these are five year old hitec servos.... even though they were top of the line.

All in all very satisfied with the car.

Last edited by tak4; 09-01-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's the virtue Kyosho buggy's are known for,they handle the rough like nobody's.Nice to read you have a good run with yours,here's a tip for those ball cups,use a longer screw and a washer to sandwich them so if they pop out you still have steering.Regarding weight reductions,there's IFW333 and IFW332 lightweight universals and a LiPo or LiFe and should drop down 100gr.Read that you can use HB D8 lightweight outdrives and crosspins on the 777 but I didn't try myself,for me it's next thing on the list.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The Hot Bodies Lightning had a lot of items.the.same, you can use the hot boddies clutch shoes and springs too, they are much cheaper, u may have to open the pins holes a bit, the diff case that is inside the bulk heads can be used also, center diff can be used, as long as the gear is the same. Hot Bodies just copied a ton of the K car parts. I used the pinion and ring gears in a truggy I had at the time, the STRR.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks guys. Making a list of the "weight saving option parts" u guys just listed.

Still undecided if this is going to be my racer. But the fact that I'm thinking about it is a testament to the car, albeit already 6 years old. Never thought I would consider making this my racer instead of the JQ but it is just so easy to drive.

The Mp777 piqued the interest of a Team C and a Mugen driver on the track yesterday and they asked for a go. Both just kept praising the car. It's just comfortable to drive on a bumpy track. Here's a vid of our track btw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyWvM...1&feature=plcp.

Make no mistake about it, the JQ is faster but it requires my full attention to drive right. Full attention over an entire main = mistakes as fatigue creeps in. The Mp777 on the other hand is so easy to drive that it just feels like I'm cruising. It just helped me make up my mind to get the mp9 tki3 or an updated version by 2013... regardless of price.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Bro the reason the mp777 is still able to compete, n will always b able to and feels comfortable on the track is prob because, buggy tech i feel is at its peak, i mean honestly for a car to b easy to drive n very stable it basically has to look like a kyosho...i.e d8, rc8, n all those other "new" buggies out..... And for a car to b nimble and seem quick it has to b very narrow, i.e losi,agama, the car......think about it, the front diff will always b there in the same spot, so will the middle n rear, there's just not much u have to work with in 1/8, then there's suspension geometry, and it seems that kyosho has figured that out to over the years, i would not b surprised if your 777 and tki's geo is almost the same, minus a few adjustments u will have on the tk........biggest diff in Ur 777 is prob weight, put it on a diet and put tk shocks on it, i guarantee its capable of winning races, i would kill to see Jared take a 777 setup to his liking and watch how close his laptimes would b to his mp, we talking tenths i Bet
Just my .2
Old 09-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver
Bro the reason the mp777 is still able to compete, n will always b able to and feels comfortable on the track is prob because, buggy tech i feel is at its peak, i mean honestly for a car to b easy to drive n very stable it basically has to look like a kyosho...i.e d8, rc8, n all those other "new" buggies out..... And for a car to b nimble and seem quick it has to b very narrow, i.e losi,agama, the car......think about it, the front diff will always b there in the same spot, so will the middle n rear, there's just not much u have to work with in 1/8, then there's suspension geometry, and it seems that kyosho has figured that out to over the years, i would not b surprised if your 777 and tki's geo is almost the same, minus a few adjustments u will have on the tk........biggest diff in Ur 777 is prob weight, put it on a diet and put tk shocks on it, i guarantee its capable of winning races, i would kill to see Jared take a 777 setup to his liking and watch how close his laptimes would b to his mp, we talking tenths i Bet
Just my .2
Old 09-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Small suspension tweaks from the MP7.5 to MP9 all added make for a better car and yeah kyosho for sure has buggy racing figured out.
It seems the JQ is too twitchy for you,there's a stable setup from Chris Marrale you could try.
If Tebo could make the 777 as light as the MP9 then we would be talking about tenths but I don't see a 3290gr 777 happening.Oh another one I designed,see the steering posts?They're steel and could be made of aluminum;some screws can be made shorter;aluminum balls from the MP9 throughout;titanium turnbuckles...
Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Anyone got any ideas for good replacement wing? Does the MP9 one fit?
Old 09-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

If you convert the top 2 pieces from the MP9 wing mount, then you can use the screws to screw it down.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:25 AM
Tech Elite

Sweet!Is the MP9 wing pre-drilled?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:52 AM
Tech Addict

Yep, it's predrilled if i remember mine correctly.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by aznitronut
If you convert the top 2 pieces from the MP9 wing mount, then you can use the screws to screw it down.
Could you elaborate on this please?

Do you have to modify the mp9 wing and or the mount to fit?

If I just want to stick with the std clips rather than screws will the MP9 one drop straight on or is it different? If the holes are in the same positions can I just enlarge them?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

On the wing mount, you have 2 up right pieces that attach to the shock tower and rear bulk head, and 2 pieces that attach to the top of that, that are held on by 2 screws on each side, that are used to adjust the pitch/angle of the wing. Those top 2 pieces that you attach the wing to is what you use from the MP9 wing mount, the rest of the MP9 mount is not usable. It makes a cleaner looking wing, and you don't need.to worry about loosing the body clips that used to hold the old style mount. I will get some pics up on this site later today.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

And the holes line up with the MP9 mounts on the 777 assembly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.