Search

Ofna Hyper8 stingray

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

The hyper takes 18 x - 8x16mm bearings for the hubs and diffs

2 x - 5x10mm bearings for the clutch bell

4 x - 6x10mm bearings for the steering servo arms

No special tools required, rubber sealed is fine.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FrankBlack
The hyper takes 18 x - 8x16mm bearings for the hubs and diffs

2 x - 5x10mm bearings for the clutch bell

4 x - 6x10mm bearings for the steering servo arms

No special tools required, rubber sealed is fine.
Thanks pal...gotta order the rubber sealed bearing from Amains
Old 07-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Im getting sick of this freakin thing Its fast but its made of crap..CRAP!!! Its costing me a fortune to keep it running, i just pulled my front and rear diffs out and both crown gears are stripped The list of parts and hardware problems ive had with this thing is enormous, geez i wish to god i got a xray. Leaky diffs, had to replace the cups and seals/orings more times than i can remember, utter crap rear hubs that ive had to replace 3 times from being flogged out, cnc steering knuckles stripped (them c#%kS$#kers not cheap), stock chassis warped so bad the clutch bell was hitting it, and now the crown gears stripped, there is another $80 - $100 AUD including new pinions i bet. The front and rear uni's look like they are on their way out also and the drive cups, what a pos really. How the hell is it goin to hold up to an enduro i got in a fortnights time.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:37 PM

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by FrankBlack
Im getting sick of this freakin thing Its fast but its made of crap..CRAP!!! Its costing me a fortune to keep it running, i just pulled my front and rear diffs out and both crown gears are stripped The list of parts and hardware problems ive had with this thing is enormous, geez i wish to god i got a xray. Leaky diffs, had to replace the cups and seals/orings more times than i can remember, utter crap rear hubs that ive had to replace 3 times from being flogged out, cnc steering knuckles stripped (them c#%kS$#kers not cheap), stock chassis warped so bad the clutch bell was hitting it, and now the crown gears stripped, there is another $80 - $100 AUD including new pinions i bet. The front and rear uni's look like they are on their way out also and the drive cups, what a pos really. How the hell is it goin to hold up to an enduro i got in a fortnights time.
With all do respect...
I have been racing mine for almost 2 years, and have had nothing but normal wear.....if that. Mine has been a rock solid, workhorse buggy, with very few problems at all. I wouldn't trade my H8 for any other buggy out there....

Brad
Old 07-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Mines only 7 months old and not even 30 litres on it and i run on tracks with small to average jumps
Old 07-03-2007, 05:53 PM

Hmmm....I've lost track how many gallons of fuel I've put through mine. I run on bigger tracks with mostly larger jumps. I've got a huge bag of spare parts that I carry around to the races with me, but haven't used hardly any of them.
I don't know...I'm sorry to hear about the luck you have been having with yours. I hope it gets better for you.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

I also carry a wide selection of spares, but the parts i thought id never need spares of like steering knuckles and crown gears are now starting to go and its killing the hip pocket cause of the price of em.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:04 PM

I am still on the same front pair of steering knuckles, and just changed out the rear diff for the first time a few races ago. I've put some various bearings in it, replaced a spur gear, and some other plastic stuff as regular maintenance, but I've had no real problems with any parts, and I know I have at ran at least 6 gallons through it. I still have the same chassis as when it was new, and still have the same fuel tank that it came with new as well.
Maybe I just got one of the good ones....I don't know. I don't wreck too much anymore, or at least like I used to...lol, so maybe that helps too.
Good luck in the future...
Old 07-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well i dont like to bash i had a hyper8 for a month and ran about 2 gallons on it and there was alot of pre mature wear on it lots of slop in the front lower a arms and rear uprights and diff gear wear. but at the roar reginals last summer i landed a big table top like all other buggies did and my chassis was tacoed. its not very cool when youre the only guy bending youre chassis back straight on a curb. when the car was new i liked the way it handeld but i agree the quality just isnt there as with most ofna products. oh and on monday when i called ofna to explain what happend they were bitter rude to me and gave me 0 support. aaand i didnt come off rude to them on the phone i was polite.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

I have heard ofna support leaves alot to be desired. Dont spose you have a pic of your chassis, id love to see that. I too have slop in the arms, but im just livin with it, its cheaper than replacing them. Ive had to replace the rear bevel gears in the diff aswell.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:13 AM
Tech Adept

Errr, I don't get it?
The Hyper is one of the most durable and long wearing things I have seen.
Honestly, we have guys with Mugens and especially Losi's that are flogged out waaay worse than the hypers ever get.
My diffs are immaculate, virtually no wear at all on ANY of the outdrives. The only part of the driveline that has any discernable wear is the centre dogbone pins which have flattened out. All of the gears are perfect. And not one shim in the driveline.
The arms developed a little slop from elongation of the holes for the pivot pins, but after some of the crashes it's been through I'm not surprized.
The rear hub slop is IMHO nothing to worry too much about. A couple of set screws ,a drill and 10 minutes fixes them so there's no slop.
I have only recently put any parts on the car, and only then as an upgrade. I am still on the original clutch bell!! The bearings are all the original ones too.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok guys I am not on the Hyper 8 bash wagon and I must say that it has been a pretty good buggy for my first one.Yes there is wear in the normal areas and I am sure that most cars that have plastic parts wear the same type of way.The only real issues I have had are with little rear traction,broken hub carriers and broken hubs.Currently I am using 20 deg.Kyosho front hub carriers and they have really helped.I also bought some 7$ kyosho hubs and the next time it breaks that is what I am going to replace it with.That is alot better than paying 39+$ for any other Hyper 8 hub.This picture was taken of me last weekend and I know now this is probably the reason I have these issues
Attached Thumbnails Ofna Hyper8 stingray-7777.jpg  
Old 08-09-2007, 02:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by WYLDTHING
Like I said, motomanpat, the only issues I have had with mine, was getting the push out of it, and the center diff retaining ring breaking and letting the spur gear come loose. I fixed that problem by ordering a steel one from the hyper7. Haven't had any problems with the tanks (I use shock o-rings on the top and bottom of it just for added safety), or any of the other horror stories that you hear.
I guess to sum it up....if I was to buy all over again, and I had plenty of money to buy any buggy I wanted, I would STILL by the Hyper8! What better testimony can you hear than that???
I too use the OFNA lightweight/compact starter box with 2 1500mah battery packs. It works great!! I was actually quite surprised at how well it worked, to be honest!...lol. It spins my RB over like a top, and it still sticks at TDC.

Congrats on your decision, I truly believe you will be very happy with the H8! Besides, like you said, it's nice to have something different than everyone else: makes it more fun that way...

I just bought another hyper8 today
Old 08-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Tech Champion

Fitting off road clutches and springs are pain in the ..... ........... it took me 30 minutes figuring out how to click the position of springs with LOSI clutch tool.

Is there any better clucth tool than LOSI ?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Tech Regular

There is this design http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7156

I find the losi design works really well, putting on clutch shoes was a major hassle for me aswell when i first got into this hobby. Im running the slider clutches now so i dont have to worry about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.