Wiki Posts
Search

The End of Nitro????

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pdmustgt
Are you sniffing the fumes? I can tell you gas and diesel exhaust can be very strong too. So this goofy BS about nitro fumes
Not so goofy my friend. It is a serious issue for some of us. Years of exposure ( yea full size racing ) have left me pretty sensitive to a lot of chemicals. Also with hearing loss and tinitus. If you think sucking fumes and loud noises can't have a long term negative impact then you are seriously ignorant. Maybe you will understand once you get a few more decades behind you and see people leave their lives love to keep their health.
Let me make this clear. I am not bashing nitro. Simply saying that gas could be a viable alternative for some of us who would like some of the thrill of running a combustion engine. My first nitro was 1969.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Tech Champion

Nitro is not an issue outside, unless you're sticking your face in front of the exhaust.

Indoor nitro is bad.. - IMO.. I wouldn't do it again without a mask.. Which is a pain.. Which means I probably wouldn't do it again.. But then I might..
Old 06-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by asc6000
Not so goofy my friend. It is a serious issue for some of us. Years of exposure ( yea full size racing ) have left me pretty sensitive to a lot of chemicals. Also with hearing loss and tinitus. If you think sucking fumes and loud noises can't have a long term negative impact then you are seriously ignorant. Maybe you will understand once you get a few more decades behind you and see people leave their lives love to keep their health.
Let me make this clear. I am not bashing nitro. Simply saying that gas could be a viable alternative for some of us who would like some of the thrill of running a combustion engine. My first nitro was 1969.
You not that much older than me
Old 06-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
This is actually very common for people. They are fine doing something for a long time, then one day out of nowhere they get a reaction from it and it happens every time after no matter how little the exposure or how much time has passed since the last reaction. It common with nitro fumes, CA glue, paints. For some its just a rash or hives. Others its more serious like watering eyes, severe itchiness, even throat swelling and closure. Age has nothing to do with it. It can happen to anybody for no reason at all.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Maybe some of you can try using less nitro content. When I raced 1/10th nitro TC and 1/8th offroad I used 16% for both, I still have the same .21 engine running now on 25% and to be honest there's not much difference if any providing they're fully tuned for each nitro content.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

They say a lot of that crap stores in fat cells, so.....
Old 06-15-2014, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by w_dupree
They say a lot of that crap stores in fat cells, so.....
Yeah, if youre talking marijuana. 8
Old 06-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Nitro is not going anywhere. Yes, it may be smaller than before, but many people who are "sensitive" so they say, have switched to EP. Outside of the extreme borningness, there is nothing wrong with EP. EP has become a "intro" to 1/8 scale platform. Guys get into the hobby with EP, to see the excitement gathered when the Nitro cars hit the track.

These gas engines are not new, the concept goes back to the early 1900's. Yes, in airplanes but the concept is the same. The only PRO for gas engines is the cost of fuel.

Last time I checked, they both smoked?

I will say, Smoke and fumes, differ between brands. My son who pits for me could not stand Nitrotane. It burned his eyes and gave him rashes. Since the switch to a Bryons, He has not complained or broke out.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The thing that i like about gas engines is the sound and how cheap its to buy gas fuel .Its true though that kit that come with gas motors lack the power and speed compared to nitro engines. You really need to invest money in a gas powered kit in order to make it as fast as nitro kits. A good example would be the Losi DBXL which is gas powered and has a price of $1000 and you would think that at that price point it would fly but its really underpowered. You would need to invest in a better motor and pipe in order to make it somewhat fast which will make you spend even more than you would on nitro. Although i do like the look of the DBXL its just the gas motor isnt enough to push the buggy fast enough. I have nothing against gas motors i just think nitro engines are more powerful, better, and also have more market brands out there than gas engines do. Imo nitro is going to keep going.

And to the fumes man i think that you run your cars in the garage or either put your nose in the exhaust. If your in a ventilated area i think youll be fine.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

The End of Nitro???? Oh, I hope not. Stepping out of electric and back into nitro after a ten year absence.

Why would I do that? Never did make the successful transition from brushed electric to brushless/LiPo. Always left me scratching my head wondering what happened. Finally realized I prefer the mechanical challenge of nitro over the magic of electric.

The industry move to gas power has me concerned over safety. Gasoline is real dangerous. Nitro not so much so in comparison. Although, of course, both require care in handling.

Anyway, doing my small part to keep nitro viable and active into the 21st century.

Cheers, -Arnie-