Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree150Likes

Xray XB8

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 05:36 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

This might be a silly question and I don't see it addressed in the thread; what do the smaller degree kingpins do for you?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Edited to avoid confusion (and maybe to make me not look like a moron. )

Last edited by kuruption; 04-11-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Lower caster * makes the steering more aggressive.
Higher caster * smoothes steering out.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

From the HUDY setup book:

Less caster angle
(more vertical)
• Decreases straight-line stability
• Increases off-power steering at corner entry
• Increases suspension efficiency

More caster angle
(more inclined)
• Increases straight-line stability
• Decreases off-power steering at corner entry
• Makes the car more stable through bumpy track conditions
Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

Originally Posted by kuruption
From the HUDY setup book:

Less caster angle
(more vertical)
• Decreases straight-line stability
• Increases off-power steering at corner entry
• Increases suspension efficiency

More caster angle
(more inclined)
• Increases straight-line stability
• Decreases off-power steering at corner entry
• Makes the car more stable through bumpy track conditions
That doesnt sound right at all
Old 04-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RockStar_199
That doesnt sound right at all
It is, I suggest you read the Hudy set-up guide or JQ's The Guide. It will help you learn how to set up a car properly instead of guessing wrong.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

i read it wrong lol duh!!
Old 04-11-2014, 04:30 PM
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thats not really right Kuruption. You can run the same amount of caster on every king pin plate.

They change how much the wheel rolls over through a turn.

With 0 king pin which was stock on the xb9, as the wheel turns into the corner it only rolls over and bites into the corner at the same angle that the caster is set to.

When you add more king pin angle it pushes the top of the wheel out during a turn, effectively taking the wheel from negative to positive camber and causing the wheel to roll over and bite in more on its edge.

This is what's giving the xb8 such aggressive steering through a corner. It turns in and just keeps on turning in rather that starting to push a little like the old car

If your finding the steering too aggressive on the xb8 you'd be smart to try the lower degree king pin angles
Old 04-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Estereo
This will be my sixth time at Neo, so I´m not a newbie (ok, maybe i look like one on the track )
Now I have seen a picture of your car, so I will say hello if I see you
Thats good to know you have experience on their track, dont mind be bothering you with questions when i se you there
Old 04-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TIX
Thats not really right Kuruption. You can run the same amount of caster on every king pin plate.

With 0 king pin which was stock on the xb9, as the wheel turns into the corner it only rolls over and bites into the corner at the same angle that the caster is set to.

When you add more king pin angle it pushes the top of the wheel out during a turn, effectively taking the wheel from negative to positive camber and causing the wheel to roll over and bite in more on its edge.

This is what's giving the xb8 such aggressive steering through a corner. It turns in and just keeps on turning in rather that starting to push a little like the old car

If your finding the steering too aggressive on the xb8 you'd be smart to try the lower degree king pin angles
+1 Great info
Old 04-11-2014, 04:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Kingpin is the inclination of the axis that wheels turn on. So when you change kingpin plates, you are not changing caster. If you look at the different plates you Can see the different locations of the front vertical pillow ball, and how they move in relation to the two mounting screws.

When I talked yo Reno, he said, "kingpin is acting a bit like caster. More kingpin makes the car smoother around neutral but more onpower steering."
Hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

I won my first race with my XB8E and since I was also running a XB9 nitro, I could tell that the XB8 could steer better in tight corners but mostly I could peg it thru a high speed corner hauling ass wondering if it would traction roll while the XB9 would push hard on power in medium to high speed corners........but!!! After all three 5 minute qualifiers my best qual was in the Xb9 nitro! By 5 seconds. Although my fastest lap was set in the XB8E by more than a second over the XB9 a few times, so maybe this next race I maintain those hot laps and put 2 laps on the field instead of one. I'm usually much better in Ebuggy. I could tell it drove better everywhere but my XB9 times were really equal overall.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Swaybarz
Kingpin is the inclination of the axis that wheels turn on. So when you change kingpin plates, you are not changing caster. If you look at the different plates you Can see the different locations of the front vertical pillow ball, and how they move in relation to the two mounting screws.

When I talked yo Reno, he said, "kingpin is acting a bit like caster. More kingpin makes the car smoother around neutral but more onpower steering."
Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by TIX

Okay, good to know... lol

Nothing really explains it, either the manual or the website, so I thought it was caster. I'm going to edit my post to reduce confusion lol.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TIX

Simple and effective explanation; than you. That is what I was thinking, but I didn't want to make any assumptions and end up making my car even more aggressive. Mind you, I have not put lap one on it yet, just looking at what's available when it comes to options.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:10 PM
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I will honestly say I could be wrong. But that's the result I came up with in testing.

There are a few things that we are able to change on the xray that the setup guides don't offer an details on. I've made my own assessments of what they do. But id love to hear it from the pros.

Active caster;
We are able to change the amount of active caster the buggy has by changing the angle of the top arm. What's the effect of running more or less.

Lower roll center;
Changing your roll center at the lower hinge pin plates as opposed to the upper link.

Hinge pin width;
We see it more on the xb8 with guys running 1 Bushing in narrowing the hinge pin width. What's it effect.

King pin angle as we've already said. There's a few more but these were all I could think of at the moment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.