Wiki Posts
Search

The Dirt Nitro Challenge 2014

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Manufacturercup
I think that is arguable. But which option provides the best advantage, which i think is more important in the "what makes you pro or sportsman debate" and keeping the sportsman on a even playing field which is what this all boils down to.
I don't think anyone is arguing that a chassis sponsorship helps more. Historically, a chassis sponsorship was the "final notch on a racing resume." It was easy to use as a yardstick to know who the fast, cream-of-the-crop guys were. Today, as others have said previously, its a different game, with tons [comparatively] of manufactures, handing out sponsorships to "mid-level," if that, racers.

Not saying it's better or worse, just it's different from when there were 2 chassis, and only the best were sponsored.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

Shawn_S

If you read my post prior, i believe that having a tire sponsorship is a bigger advantage at these big races. Because you can afford to have more tires or more compounds or tread patterns etc. but maybe thats just me.

What is the real advantage of having a 50% chassis sponsorship at this one race? a newer car? or cheaper parts?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:06 AM
JQ
Tech Master

I think the best way to separate open and pro class is like it is done in Europe. When you start racing, anyone can race the B euros. If you do well enough at the race, you will be moved up, and can't race the Bs anymore. If you attend any A euro, in any class, and do well enough, you can't attend any Bs anymore.

I don't remember what the limits are, ie, where you need to finish, but this way there is no ambiguity.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I run for Proline so I had to run the Pro 2wd class at the race......

Here is my opinion and its worth about 2cents if that. I think Sponsorship should not matter. Companies hand out sponsorship to just about anybody for a 50 deal. People get sponsored for different reasons. I have ran pro when I had to and open when it does not matter. Psycho Nitro Blast had the best format I have seen in this hobby. If you qualified in the top 30 in the class above you you where bumped I got bumped to pro truggy last year and I was pretty excited about it. I race open to compete if I am not at least competing it is not fun. Being 2 or 3 secs a lap slower than a pro guy is not fun all because I have a chassis sponsor. The Rule of having a chassis sponsor is one of the reason I have chosen not to sign with anybody this year. Because of my sponsors everybody has their opinion about me running open at races because I have the sponsors I do. I was in the C main in open at nitro Challenge and have won one major race in 3 years. The class a person runs should not be based off of sponsors but their skills. thats was my 2cents lol
Old 02-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 171 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PUDDIN
If you qualified in the top 30 in the class above you you where bumped
Thats a pretty good idea right there.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

RC Pro Series had it right when it came to this.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Maybe I've been racing electric for far too long. I still can't think of any logical reason for "skilled based classes" in nitro racing. At every major electric race classes are group by chassis/motor specs only, 2wd Mod buggy is the "Elite/Pro driver class" and arguably the hardest vehicles to drive on dirt, but sure enough it usually has the largest number of entries from club level racers. In my 20 years in the hobby, I've never heard a single electric racer complain about needing a open/sportsman mod 2wd buggy class. At those types of races seeding and re-sorting maybe required every round, but at the end of the day main grouping based on qualifying times are much closer because no one is sandbagging, everyone is shooting for their best times.

Give out those $3 Trophies, ribbons, plaques to every Main and be done with it. No more sponsorship issues.

Lastly, what difference does it make if you qualify in the "Pro" K-main with a 9/7:30 vs "Open" C-main with 9/7:30? The qualifying times/competitive grouping are exactly the same.

Last edited by nv529; 02-25-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Why not have open seeding as I cant see why if a driver fast enough they shouldnt be driving with the pros or if a pro slow enough put him in with sportsman etc...would make for cleaner races as well.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Did anyone actually watch the race or video or look at the lap times? I didn't see anyone that wasn't competitive, the fast laps were pretty equal and I felt the race was intense and competitive throughout. It was fun to race in and I bet it was fun to watch live and at home. I chose to run open because I'm an open driver. Why would I travel 1200+ miles one way to run 10 minutes in the pro G and F mains (which I did also). The rule was not strictly enforced in the previous 2 dncs why would we assume it would be this year?

2 years ago the open Truggy winners truck was provided by associated, the open buggy winner pitted in the factory Kyosho tent next to the reigning WC. Last year the French dude was a relationship to Sartel? I think. None of those guys had any factory support at allll!!!! You can say anything you want to me (and very little has been directed at the dq'ed drivers on this thread). So others bend and flex the rules for years and the hammer drops on a KID from England and a father/son team from nowhere iowa. As I stated I totally accept joeys decisions. But don't anyone act like we're the only bad guys in this deal. I'd be super impressed if whomever made the complaint would be a MAN and admit that they are just butt hurt cause they weren't willing to put forth enough effort.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

How many big local races do you run sportsman in? You prolly crush dudes on the reg in club races too, right?

But in your defense, one could argue that you don't actually have a mfg deal. RC America is a distributor. Then things really start to get muddled.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

How many big local races do you run where TQ for the worlds qualifies in the C?
Old 02-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Danny B
Did anyone actually watch the race or video or look at the lap times? I didn't see anyone that wasn't competitive, the fast laps were pretty equal and I felt the race was intense and competitive throughout. It was fun to race in and I bet it was fun to watch live and at home. I chose to run open because I'm an open driver. Why would I travel 1200+ miles one way to run 10 minutes in the pro G and F mains (which I did also). The rule was not strictly enforced in the previous 2 dncs why would we assume it would be this year?

2 years ago the open Truggy winners truck was provided by associated, the open buggy winner pitted in the factory Kyosho tent next to the reigning WC. Last year the French dude was a relationship to Sartel? I think. None of those guys had any factory support at allll!!!! You can say anything you want to me (and very little has been directed at the dq'ed drivers on this thread). So others bend and flex the rules for years and the hammer drops on a KID from England and a father/son team from nowhere iowa. As I stated I totally accept joeys decisions. But don't anyone act like we're the only bad guys in this deal. I'd be super impressed if whomever made the complaint would be a MAN and admit that they are just butt hurt cause they weren't willing to put forth enough effort.

I knew several people who ran open (after Joey told everybody that it was being enforced) that did not back out. I felt like it was there choice to follow the rules or not to. I did not know anybody got DQ until yesterday. I don't feel bad for anybody that Dq because it was there choice. I do think that the person that had a problem or told Joey should have said something to the dirvers. I personally said something to a few guys i knew but I did not feel like i needed to be a little girl about it... But maybe nobody said anything some of the drivers put chassis sponsors on their sheet one even had a write up on neobuggy about signing with somebody so that was kind of stupid by them.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

There were F main drivers that have qual'd for worlds. This guy was as fast as they were at this race. Maybe they should have run open...

Look at it this way, Danny B. You won open. DQ or not. That was your last time to run it. So get ready for the pros.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JQ
I think the best way to separate open and pro class is like it is done in Europe. When you start racing, anyone can race the B euros. If you do well enough at the race, you will be moved up, and can't race the Bs anymore. If you attend any A euro, in any class, and do well enough, you can't attend any Bs anymore.

I don't remember what the limits are, ie, where you need to finish, but this way there is no ambiguity.
You are not allowed to race in the B euros if you finished top 50 in one of the last two A euros. You also must race A euro if you ever made it to the final of a A euro in any class.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BillyT.
There were F main drivers that have qual'd for worlds. This guy was as fast as they were at this race. Maybe they should have run open...

Look at it this way, Danny B. You won open. DQ or not. That was your last time to run it. So get ready for the pros.

There was a driver in the A who won Nitro Challenge a few years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.